Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI results

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was told I have a bulging disc at C4-C5 and it has a annular tear that is leaking, I am fused from C5-T1 already, so the doc. wants to do a disc replacement surgery, the only problem with that is my insurance company don't cover that. Is that the only option? Can't he just fuse them to? What would that do to my ROM? So many questions and I don't see the doc until the 20th, I am scheduled for a steriod shot, but they never worked for me in the past so I am not holding out much hope for this one either. Anyone have any ideas on what other treatment I may be able to have or is this surgery the only one I can do?
advertisement

Comments

  • My doc said insurance companys stopped paying for replacements because not enough long term proof they hold up.
  • There is a lot of information for you to look up regarding the artificial disc and understand that will lead you to many questions for the surgeon. The artificial disc in the US was only approved 07-17-07 so only a year old if your in the US. There are members who have used the disc but was a first time fusion. I think what you should be looking for in your search is information regarding fusion and combination of artificial disc. That may also be a reason your insurance company is not approving as they may not find enough data supporting that instance. When you see your surgeon have them explain the pro's and con's and the number if disc they have put in as well as how long they have been doing them. Another question i would be asking is shall the artificial disc fail how hard is it to take out and the ramification of doing that. As far as your ROM how much did you loose with the other levels that are fused? That should give you some idea as to the amount you will loose by adding another level in the original fusion should you have to do a fusion. Keep us posted on what you find out.
  • I had a steriod injection and two days after it I was in a lot of pain, so I called the doctor back that did it and he said that he was cancelling the next shot appt., he don't feel it would do me any good. He said he thinks I need surgery, so I guess I am headed there, whether it will be disc replacement or fusion. This is how the other 2 surgeries came about. I am getting so tired of this, it has not even been 3 yrs since the first surgery, that was feb. 14 of 2006, my second one was april 8, 2008 and now headed for the 3rd probably within the next month or so. Does it ever end????????
Sign In or Register to comment.