Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dr. just recommended facet rhizotomy

advertisement

Comments

• Hi, i had a rhizotomy done about a year ago,it has worn off now,but i did have about 8 months of no nerve pain......
  • I am in the process of inquiring about the ablation as well. The child thing is on my mind too. I did mention to my obgyn one time, that I still wanted one more baby. And his response was - well that would just open up a whole new slue of problems...so that was that.

I am thinking in a year I will seriously talk to my doctors about the possibility of more children. I imagine it will require bedrest and a c-section...which is fine by me.

Good luck.

Alina
  • Are you going to get it done again, live with the pain or did the doctor recommend something else?
  • has always worked very well for me and I continue to get it done about 1 x a year. Good luck with yours and please keep us posted.
  • Thanks! I get it done on Friday and I am nervous, but hoping it helps!!
    Are you able to lead a pretty "norma"l life now that you regularly get relief from yours?
  • I was leading a fairly normal life until I had surgery last december 07. It has pretty much been down hill from there. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have stuck with the rhizotomys and not had the surgery. I did not find this site until after my surgery. Do post and let us know how you make out. remember not to expect immediate results. it will take at least 4 weeks for the nerves to completely die and the pain will most likely be worse before getting better.
  • I had the rhizotomy on 5 of my nerves about 2 days ago. The first four went as good as I think they could have went. The S1 on the other hand, did not. I think he had trouble finding the right part of the nerve because my leg down to my foot started shaking. After it was repositioned, it happened again, but was more intense. The nurse even had to hold my leg down. The third time was the charm and it was in the right spot. I told the doctor, "that sucked! I hope this works because that really sucked."
    I am hoping the next couple of weeks go quickly and I feel relief soon! I will keep you updated on the progress (trying to be optimistic)!

• so glad that you got it over with (not as glad as you are I am sure). 5 nerves are alot! I had 5 done back in January and all I can say is OUCH! remember ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. It really helped me. I hope that it will be well worth it in the end and that you get maximum relief. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • It will get better it just takes about a month,i am not having it done again,as most of my back problems is muscle related...
  • About a week has passed and I guess it is it working because I am in a lot of pain! The pain in my hip has intensified pretty much making everything painful, especially trying to bend down to pick something up. I have also noticed the numbing feeling in my leg into my calf and down into my foot has increased significantly. These are all symptoms I have had before the rhizotomies, but they are now kicked up a notch or two or three depending on the day.

Do these sounds like the same type of symptoms you also experienced after the rhizotomy? I know most people says it takes about 4 weeks to experience relief, so I have about 3 more weeks of this? Ugh!

Hopefully, l am rounding the corner to less pain/numbing days are soon!
  • The numbness and tingling in my leg seems to be masked a bit by the pain in my back, the doc says when the RF finally takes hold that I will most likely feel increased numbness & tingling. That hasn't happened yet, I'm about 3 weeks after having the RF done.
    Jay
  • I just had 4 levels done Monday L-3 thru L7.Previousley I had an SI RFA and 3 levels in the neck. I am not complaining but this last one has hurt the worse. Monday night was the most painful, more so than the back pain it self.I ended up taking 20 mgs of percocet and it was only slightly tolerable even with constant icing. Today is a lot better but still very sore. I was able to cut down on the pain meds. The numbness and tinglinging is something you have to live with. ever since they did an SI injection its gotten rid of the lower leg pain but not the numbness which was ther even before all this. I am hoping that this will last awhile, I probably will have to get the other side done also
  • Rhizotomies can take 4 weeks to reach their full benefit. Many people have an increase in their pain after the procedure (they've just burned your nerves). I've seen them last on patients for months to years -- everyone is different.

As far as having children - I've never heard it being a problem after rhizotomies.
  • me 4 weeks for maximum benefit and it lasts about 1 year. I had 5 levels last January and it was rough. I usually have to have one side done and then go back and have other side done. My insurance will not cover both sides at once. Be patient and plenty of ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. It will get better.
  • hi there,

i have just ahd my 3rd 'dose' of radiofrequency but this time instead of having 2 injections just in my right side i have been told that i have now have to have them done in the otherside too, which i had. i must tell u that they are not very pleasent and are quite painful, it would not be too bad if they could put u to sleep whilst they do them but u have to tell them if the 'pulse' that they test on u first is travelling down ur legs. when they have put the needles in and are ready to do burn the nerves away, u dont actually feel that because they inject the nerve with local anesthetic first so that part of the procedure is not painful.

i wish i could say that the nerves do not grow back, but they do, i have this procedure done every year and have at least a week of sleepless nights worrying about it. if it did not give me such relief over the winter time i would not bother having them done, but they do and it lasts (for me) around 4-5 months of relief.

if i were u i would give them a try, everyone is different and they might last longer with some people than with others.

i hope this helps with ur decision and i hope u get on ok.

nicky.
  • i really hope that u are feelin better now it have been a few weeks since u have had ur procedure done.

i felt i had to rely to ur post because my Dr from the pain clinic told me (as i have radiofrequency done on my lower spine) that if i get that pain or numbing sensation down either of my legs (as i have it done on both sides) then she has got the needle in the wrong place. when she thinks the needle is in the right place, she makes sure that it is by sending a 'pulse' sensation into the area, and asks me if that pulse is goin down my legs, if it is then she is in the wrong place.

the area that i have done is completely numb on the outside to the touch, as before my operation i could not even stand the touch of clothes on it it was that bad.

i really hope that this is not the case for u but it does not sound anything like what i am like after my procedure, yes it takes a few weeks for the acheness to dissapear but i am in no way in as much pain as i was before my procedure.

i hope u are well now and ur pain has subsided a little.

nicky.
  • It has been a little over 3 weeks since my first 5 nerve RFA and I am doing better than last week. I can lay on my side for a little while trying to fall asleep, which is a vast improvement and very excited about. Laying on my back with two pillows under the affected leg is still the most comfortable. Everyday task are getting a tad easier, but by the end of a work day; I have to lay down and take it easy for the rest of the night.
    I hope that by week 4 I feel more improvement so I can ease up or stop taking meds completely! Is that just a dream or can I really go without meds?
  • It happened for me. This procedure gave me my life back. I so hope that it works well for you. Keep us posted.
  • My dr also recommended this procedure for me. Now I have no idea where it will be exactly as I was not told.
    I guess somewhere in the lumbar area but I did not know even to ask where it would be. It sounds like something I may try but I was not clear on the details as my dr referred me to another dr who does them. I am nervous though. :SS .jade
  • Jade, if you have any questions, please ask because I just had it done about a month ago. We might be able to help you with questions to ask your Dr.

It has been 4.5 weeks and I am still not feeling the relief that I feel like I should be feeling. They say it takes some people up to 6 weeks to feel it, so I hope I feel it soon!!

Let us know what you plan on doing.
  • badback- Hopefully the relief will kick in soon. I wonder what the absolute longest time frame is to wait to know if it worked? I guess that I will wait till all the holidays are over.... :SS jade
  • Well I'm past 6 weeks now and no relief. I'm on a TENS unit and still having to take Valium & Vicodin. Not sure the TENS unit is doing much (or the Valium for that matter) as I never did have any muscle spasms. The Vicodin does help on the pain and that with Valium allows me to sleep although I do regularly wake up when I roll over. The TENS feels great though so that's something. I'm pretty discouraged as I'm still waiting for improvement. :( :W
  • Hello all!

Glad I finally found a site that seems helpful. I have suffering with severe back pain since June. Initially my doc told me that it was my SI joint. TOld me to take it easy and gave me some pain pills and muscle relaxers. Pain never went away and it kept feeling like it wanted to "lock-up" when I moved - especially geting in and out of a car or going from sitting to standing. Sent me to PT for 3 month - that did absolutly nothing except cost me alot of money. During PT sent me for an MRI - it showed herniated disks from L3 down and narrowing of the facet joint, degenerative disk disease, arthirits. Neurologist finally sent me to a pain management doc. I have 2 injections(epidural, facet and SI) - helped a small amount so they did a Rhizotomy on December 19th. I am now in more pain that I was before. I am depressed and frustated. Do you think I need to give the Rhizotomy more time to work. They told me that fusion is my next step and that scares me to death! Help!!
  • Gypsygirl,
    They told me it would take about 4-6 weeks to feel relief... if they are going to work. Hopefully yours will kick in soon! Try not to think about the next step or you could drive yourself crazy. Remember to keep icing your back to help with the pain from the rhizotomoy.
    I know how frustrated you are and I am sure there are a lot of people on this site that feel the same frustration that you feel. Just try and stay positive.....
  • Gypsygirl,
    They told me it would take about 4-6 weeks to feel relief... if they are going to work. Hopefully yours will kick in soon! Try not to think about the next step or you could drive yourself crazy. Remember to keep icing your back to help with the pain from the rhizotomoy.
    I know how frustrated you are and I am sure there are a lot of people on this site that feel the same frustration that you feel. Just try and stay positive.....
  • I am post-rhizo 5 months and am in worse pain than I was before I had it done. Cervical fusion c4-5,5-6 six years ago began hurting so pain mgmt. doctor did rhizo.

Lost my job and am taking oxy and hyrdrocodone as well as Lyrica. Can't sit/stand for more than an hour.

Will it eventually get better?
advertisement