Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Epidural & Pain Management?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
Okay, my Doctor (I use that term lightly) has me scheduled for a epidural later this month, while I was at his office the person who is going to do the epidural called and wants an MRI of my cervical spine as well. I already have one of my Thorasic area which shows two mild bulging discs. I have not heard a lot of success stories with this procedure.

I asked my Doctor what would be next if this doesn't work and he said probably a pain management doctor. Now my husband is all freaked out. He thinks once I start seeing a pain management doctor that I will be homebound for the rest of my life. I tried to explain to him that there are a lot of people on this board that go to pain management clinics and lead normal lives. He still doesn't believe me.

Am I correct that a lot of you that are seeing a pain management Doctor are going to work and leading somewhat normal lives?

I am hoping the epidural works but I will have to wait and see.
advertisement

Comments

• i have been seeing one for 10 years, i work full time, am not on disability or workman's comp. i lead a full life albeit sometimes i have pain with walking. i go to football games, shopping, vacations, oh and by the way i have had 4 back surgeries, 2 fusion, L4-5, and L3. a laminectomy on L3 and remove the hardware sugery, numerous injections, and have been on strong narcotics for 8 years. i do not sit at home an vegitate. so tell your husband that his fears are unfounded at least with me
    good luck with pain dr and husband

jon :H :)))
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I'm not sure where my husband got his information, he said off of the internet but I couldn't find anywhere where it said that I would be confined to our home. His other comment was there that I wouldn't be able to drive while on pain meds. I have a feeling he got it from my doctor. :?

I don't know if they will give me an epidural in my cervical area. I'm not even sure why the person doing it wanted an MRI of that area. My doctor was sort of scratching his head on that one until I reminded him I was having difficulty with my right hand, its weak. I can't believe he didn't remember me telling him. But I'm still unsure why this other Doctor wanted the MRI of the cervical spine since he did not know that I was having trouble with my hand as well.

I take it you both must be able to drive safely. I know when I was taking hydrocodone I didn't have any problems with driving and staying alert. I would say I am more dangerous driving now with the pain I am in. It is so distracting for me.

Thanks again
    Suzie
  • injections are no big deal. legally if you get in a wreck under narcotics you are liable. i don't think a policeman will chekck you out not unless you smelled of alcohol. i have driven for years and i never had a problem. i have more of a problem if i don't have sleep. tell hubby to chill out

jon :D
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I have not had my epidural yet but from what I have read it takes a few days for it to work and then there is the chance it will only last a short time or work at all. I think I have read there is a 50/50 chance of it working. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
  • Hiya suzie >:D<
    My personal experience of these injections are not that bad :O . Pain Management try alsorts to get you in a comfort zone with the pain so that you can deal with it on a daily basis, so that you can go out to work :) . I am in the UK and having PM, 8} and to be honest its the best thing i ever did :) . Good Luck! :?

Angie x :H
  • then PM who didn't want to do the epidural and sent me to acupuncture.

None is helping much with my LBP & sciaica.

I'm due to have epidural next week with some sort of Xray imaging done to show where to inject.
    How long after the injection am I supposed to feel better?

I work full time job. That's the best med to keep me sane even if I moan & groan.
    Y.S IL
  • I plan to go 3 days later to "health farm" and see if they can help me improve my life quality.

It involves about 3 hours drive, each direction.
    I hope I can make it.

The truth is that I don't know what is worse.
    Risking an epidural or be on narcotics.
    Y.S IL
  • Yona, What's a health farm?

I don't think there is much risk with an epidural but I'm with you on the pain meds, I would rather not but if that is my only option then I'll take it.
  • I am on pain management and live a somewhat normal life and able to work. There are many days were I cant work a full day and I need to go home to rest, but this is due to PAIN and not the meds. At this point when I rest I usually need a strong muscle relaxor and wait until it wears off before I drive.

I am able to take strong anti inflamatories and extended release pain meds and feel I am fine to drive and work as long as I get my sleep. With this I am able to run a sucessful business.

As far as the epidural steroid shot I have had two and they both worked. The first one for about a month and a half and the second dosent seem to be as effective but its only been about three weeks. I have talked to people that have had fantastic results with these shots, I am not one of them but they have helped and I will continue getting them until they fail to work.

My last note is my wife is the opposite of you husband. She has dealt with me being in pain and under medicated for so long that if she sees me holding my breath or staring into space she will tell me to "take a pill" and most always I become more lucid and able to be a part of the family.

Good luck with everything and glad to have you part of this group. Mitch
  • Where did he get his information? From another person like himself??? He is completely wrong. Pain management for me, has saved my life. Without it, I'd be drooling on a couch collecting disaility and slowly pulling out all my hairs due to PAIN!!! The meds I have, although not adequate yet, have allowed me to have some sort of 'normal' life. I can go to school (and stay the whole class sometimes!) I have an awesome GPA and am a member of the national honor society. Yes, and I work too! I've had epidurals, they didn't hurt but they didn't help much. Second one, I had no tingling in my legs for 3 days for the first time in 3 years. I prayed it would stay that way, followed directions very carefully, didn't over do it, but my tingling came back. I hope that you are one that it works forever for since everyone is different!!! I work for a great guy who understands my pain. He even lets me lay down if I have to. He knows I'm a hard worker and sees how much I push through my pain.

So to answer your question, or your husband's 8> , I lead a full life, as best I can with my pain. I'm fully capable. I can drive and there is nothing that I would let get in my way of the pain management I deserve. Don't let him make you feel bad, just because he doesn't understand. Maybe it would help to have him google your condition, read other people's stories and see that it's not only you saying these things. When my last guy did this, the understanding painted his face like a beautiful sunset, hahahaha =)) !!! Make him read out loud to you. When he reads the exact things you are saying, he would have to be a BLEEP to still question you. Please do not let anyone and their ignorance get in the way of your pain management. It's your right to control your pain and it is also your right to not have to justify it to anyone. I'm here if you need me and I really do hope this helps...
    Much love and understanding,
    Lisa
  • I just don't understand my husband. He has no empathy for people in pain. If it were him I would be demanding that he see a different doctor. On one hand he tells me I need to take charge of my health care and on the other hand he makes me question my decisions.

Forgive me but I couldn't take the pain anymore and made him take me to the ER. The ARNA who saw me was surprised that I was not on pain meds until I told him my GP was a D.O. He did give me some pain meds but told me this was a one time deal. I don't think he had a problem writing a script for them since I got my MRI of my T spine there and am getting an MRI of my cervical spine there on Sunday and am scheduled for the epidural at the same hospital on the 17th.

I am wondering now if my GP is going to mad that I went to the ER. Sorry I just couldn't take it anymore. My husband was even relucant to take me until I said fine, I will take myself. My husband is supposed to be my protector and my Champion and he is just being lead around by the nose by my doctor. The whole situation sucks.
  • Suziee it sounds like you have a doctor that is unwilling to listen to you and therefore treat you properly. I fully understanding Dr.s that are not quick to perscribe pain meds, but if your doctor sees your er visit as anything other than a greater need to treat your pain, he is not a good doctor.

Unless he has any reason other than what you have told us here as to why the doctor doesnt want to prescribe you pain meds (some suspecion of abuse)you need to find someone else to give you the help that you NEED!

Good luck and keep us informed. As far as your husband, thats a hard one, but if you have a doctor that can calm his fears and keep you accountable for any treatment that is given he should feel better about the situation.

• is a place where they feed you 2 days on juices and then eat organic. Whatever.
    I know it sounds crazy.
    Yet, I have nothing to loose except some extra kgs I've added since I got my RA. It became worse after my op. and than even worse since my LBP & leg pain.
    I practically can't do any physical task.
    I am not fat yet, just fatter.
    I'm trying to catch the snow-ball before it runs tooooooooo fast.
    Y.S IL
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.