Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Avinza, Kadian, and Opana

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
Hey I just posted about the Avinza. Also was wondering about what is the difference in Kadian, Opana, and Avinza. They all seem to be a time release morphine. What seems to work the best?

Thanks Kristi
advertisement

Comments

• Haven't any experience with any myself, but someone who has should be along shortly. In the mean-time, you might wanna browse the threads for any info. Good luck and welcome.
  • Opana is not time release morphine, it is time release Oxymorphone. Totally different drug, but same class (painkiller).
  • JWM is right.

Opana is a time released Oxymorphone. Similar to morphine

Avinza is a morphine sulfate extended release

Kadian is morphine sulfate extended release

What works for one person may not work for another. So that is a tuff question. You won't know how you react until you start the medication and if its going to give you proper pain relief for your symptoms or not. ;)

Please contact your Dr or Pharmacy with questions relating to side effects of this medication. They can give you correct information on using these types of medications in conjuction with other medications your taking.

Hope you find relief!!
    Take care
    Terri >:D< O:)
  • I believe kadian and avinza are the same thing (maybe different manufacturer). I say this because I have been taking 60 mgs avinza for about 4 months. I see the PM doc tomorrow because NS wants me to have botox injections in my neck/shoulder area. My doctor gave me a card with the avinza that saves 50 dollars a month for 6 months. After insurance that means i only pay 5 dollars for 6 months for this script. I asked her what happens when that runs out because my medical bills/copays/prescriptions are so high along with my daughters meds, that saving 50 a month makes a big difference. She told me she has cards that save money for the kadian as well and may switch me to that once my 6 months of avinza is up. I go in the morning, so i will see if i can find out and clarify this for you. Best of Luck

Cindy
  • I've had 5 surgies in my lower back and I take 6-8 Perc.(10's) a day. I asked my PM doc if we could try some slow release something, anything. So we tried Kadian. It was 30 mg twice a day. The first day it really didn't do anything, but by the second day i felt pretty good. Better than I have in about 5 years. But she said she didn't want to keep me on this. Only temporarily because it's morphine and it's addictive. I'm going to push for them anyway. I like them.

Bill
  • Besides making you feel good, do they help your pain? If not, don't 'push' for them just because you like them. I always wish people would say 'it helped me so much with my pain' or something, instead of 'I felt pretty good', but those comments are not as common as you might think. Good luck; 5 surgeries already means you're in it for life, and you're likely no stranger to meds at all, but your choice of words still worries me.. Take care

JWM
  • Both are extended release morphine. Kadian was originally marketed as 1 x day, but the manufacturer has re-rated the med to 1-2 x day.

Avinza is 1 x day and according to feedback from patients, tends to work a little longer than Kadian. However, neither med seems to last 24 hrs.

The only other difference is that they come in different strengths. Avinza comes in 30, 60, 90, and 120mg. Kadian has strengths of 10, 20, 30, 50, 60, 80, 100, and 200mg.

Regards,

Ex
advertisement