Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck vert. surgery through front of neck - herniated disk and artheritis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi All,
I was on this site 1.5 years ago facing the fear of back surgery (L4/5 hurniated disk, "exploded" said my neuro sugeon). Got a laminectomy and microdiscetomy in June 07. Recovery to totally normal is a long process - not there yet. But I am not here for me tonight, I have a friend who has hurniated a disk in his lower neck (I don't know the numbers up there), plus mri shows artheritis (sp sorry). He meets with my neuro not til next tuesday, his ortho said the surgery would be through the front of the neck, he is petrified. On tons of meds. wondering if anyone out there has been through this, and what your results have been? I consider my results good. I was a mess! And I still dont have total fealing in my right leg - or the ability to "tippy toe" on that foot. But I am a fighter. He is too, but pretty scared these days. Looking for a little experience out there I might be able to share with him. Thanks a ton!
advertisement

Comments

• They want to do this procedures to me beause of 2spurs on rotocuff ,whiplash about 12 years ago and pinched nerves all the way down on my right side and it is going to my left side hands are numin morning .Can't write to much because of my hands go to sleep.Cant go to sleep at nite for about 3 or 4 hours at a time. What so i do?
  • You have a great attitude in your recovery which helps a lot. There are conservative treatments that can be tried first before going to surgery and they are often very helpful. If I were this person I would try and learn as much as possible about the spine so when going in has all the lingo down. Also i would prepare a list of questions so the appointment can be keep on track and he has a better understanding when he leaves. If your not sure of a list of questions here is a link http://www.spine-health.com/blog/sleep-and-insomnia/38-questions-ask-your-surgeon-having-back-surgery. As far as the surgery from the front of the neck that is called ACDF and here is a link to the video for that http://www.spine-health.com/video/anterior-cervical-discectomy-video. Hope everything works out for your friend.
  • Thanks TamTam. I keep telling him to write up a list. I will check out the 2 links you provided. I was against surgery at first for me, but then I got worse, and just knew that was the only answer! And I was more than ready for it! He is in serious need of it, and not there mentally. I do know it doesn't take much time to get to that point though!! thanks again,
    Pirate
  • I just had a single level fusion (ACDF) last month. Mine was done @ C6 / C7. The disk was herniated from a serious fall. The disc then just came apart one day. A couple trips to the E R, mega narcotics, and they did not touch the pain.

Got an emergency appointment to my spine doc on a Friday. I was in tears it hurt so much. They did a couple of tests and sent me straight to the spine surgical center for an MRI and pain management.

The MRI showed the disc came apart. As this was Friday afternoon I had to wait until the following week for surgery. The kept me doped up for pain.

Had surgery the following week. I too was scared knowing they were going through the front and what they had to move and work around to do that.

I awoke from surgery and the pain from the herniation was gone! I spent one day in the hosptial after surgery and went home.

I was given some pain meds, a soft collar to use for comfort, and a list of restrictions. I still have numbness in two of my fingers, the surface of the skin, and from my chin to the incision area. No pain from this which is good (I have other issues in the neck that cause pain and headaches).

I had complete confidence in the NS who did my surgery, but I was still scared as I was not in control. All I can say is ask the questions you need to ask and get a second opinion if need be. In the end if you need the surgery you need it. Put your faith in your surgeon because they do this all the time and complications are few and far between.
  • Dear Frustrated,
    thanks for sharing your story. My friend is in a similar situation. Follow your doc's orders and may you have a quick recovery!
advertisement