Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

one month post op...still have alot of pain.

lheinzellheinze Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
1 month post op. still have a lot of pain can't sleep and left leg and foot aches especially at night. also dr said i will be out of work 4 months. anyone else feeling this way and when did you return to work?
:)))
advertisement

Comments

• }:) What did you have done??
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • can continue for quite a while but that does depend on what you have had done and where (what part of your spine) was operated on.
    Did you have a fusion or laminectony or discectomy? it makes a big difference.

Also with sleeping, maybe you could try a smaller pillow between your knees. I found that if I put a normal pillow between my knees I got bad pain in my toes and feet but when I changed to a thinner pillow that went away.

Are you still on pain meds?

Blessings Sara O:)
  • i had a l4 l5 s1 and possibly more. i will know more at my next appt. my procedure was laminectomy lumbar decompresive multi level posterolateral instrumented fusion and pedicle screw fixation. i tried different pillows nothing works. i was on flexril and loritab for a month. had drainage ended up back in the hospital for 3 days. my buttocks and lower back hurt alot. at night it's worse.
  • Hi
    i had a laminectomy lumbar decompressive multi level posterlateral instrumented fusion and pedicle screw fixation. i have rods and cages too.
  • Welcome Ihienze,

It is way early days. You weren't told 4 months for nothing!
    You only need to see how many posts are on these boards to see the depth of questions ppl have about spine surgery and problems.

I am on my 3rd operation. Like everyone else, I am not a doctor, just sharing my opinions. My own story is unique and I do not consider myself as a surgical failure....it's just a very long recovery!

Take each day as it comes. Pian may continue until you fuse...depends on your problems. I personally am not expecting "me" to be pain free but to have it less would be
    nice. :D
    Some of th epain you feeling thro your buttocks may be the transfer of extra movement now your spine is fixed. Previous it allowed small amounts of movements - they have to go somewhere and often in our hips and knees. You will see the thtreads.

I wish you a speedy recovery, but will be a good few eeks. Chill. x
    There are papers that say about using adequate pain releif to enhance movement and oxygen and promote healing. I suffered for 6 weeks before upping my meds, which made me feel so much better. No one else is suffering , only you, so do yourself a favour and take some pain killers.
    You've had major surgery, spine screwed, it will hurt!!
  • Hi lheinze:

As the others said, we all heal at different rates and we had different surgeries. I had a TLIF L2/3, September, 2007, I fused in 6 weeks. I did have a lot of what we often call butt pain. My doctor told me to sit very little because it would cause stress on my spine, thus pressure and pain. This is a very long recovery process and you are very early in that process. My best advice is to give it time and walk often (as directed by your doctor), wear your brace (as directed, if you have one). Get a lot of rest and don't overdo it.

Ellen
  • As others have said, 1 month post-op is very early in your recovery! Many of us have found that as we recover we get lots of aches and pains as nerves, muscles, etc heal. However, if you have pain that is not adequately being controlled by your meds you will want to talk to your doctor to find other options.

The recovery pain will get better!
  • i will be at 6 wks on friday. my buttocks still hurt and my lower back. i hurt so much at night i sleep on my sides but have to switch every couple hours. i tried loritab, soma and ultram nothing works.
  • I know that at 6-weeks out I felt like I wanted to just be done with this whole process! I was so discouraged and worried because I was still in so much pain. IT WILL get better! Just follow your doctor's instructions and be good to yourself. Hang in there...relief is just a little bit away. It is a long haul!
  • I see they are a lot of people on here who are suffering from post op pain and thought i would seek some encouragement. I am in so much pain and beginning to get a little bit of anxiety. My family and friends call me a big baby and to suck it up that it takes time to heal!

I have just recently had a discectomy in my lower back( 8 days ago) and I am in more pain now than before. Not to mention that I fell coming out of the Dr office after having my stitches removed! The only reason I had surgery was because I kept falling due to numbness and weakness in my left leg with some shooting pains down my leg. These were nothing compared to now. I feel as though i have been kicked in my lower back by a mule. I have severe muscle spasms and what seems like to be a shock that runs through my back while sleeping. I can hardly get out of bed because it feels as though my back locks up. It takes 45 min to a our to get up out of the bed. The Dr says walking is the key but who can walk with this pain?! The only comfort I can get is to sit in a straight back chair. I have slept a total of 6 hours in 8 days. I mostly sit and stand and try to walk as much as I can. If any one can give me advice it will be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else been thorugh these similar things? How long is this going to last I was told most people go back to work in 4 to 5 days after this and even after fusion but I see nowhere near in the near future of me returning. HELP!
advertisement