Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain following Epidural

McBackMMcBack Posts: 33
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Spinal Injections
I had an epidural steroid injection yesterday morning at L5/S1 on the right side. The doctors had to remove and reinsert the needle once due to heavy arthritis, so they said, and go at it from an angle. Then in an attempt to get the needle where they felt confident, they had to move it around a bit while viewing it laterally and straight down with the x-ray. Finally, feeling they were at the right trajectory they went in deeper and did their thing.

I felt fine afterwords and all day yesterday, but this morning and all day today I gotta tell ya, there is a welt back there the size of a small acorn and it is extremely tender to the touch. Also, the pain in the right leg has increased rather than lessened. Is this something I should be concerned about? Should I call the office and ask?

I have iced it a few times BTW just in case that was a recommendation
advertisement

Comments

• I tell you I am cringing just thinking about this!! I am not a doctor, and this is only what I experienced after my own lumbar ESI.

I had an epidural about a month ago. Immediately after the epidural, and for the rest of the day, I felt almost drained. I also felt afraid to move at all, like my spine was unstable. Later that night, and for the next few days, my hip pain was increased 10 fold. Normally I would have pain in the right hip, with pain down the back of the leg. After the epidural, BOTH of my hips felt on fire. The kind of pain you just beg for sleep... anything so you don't have to feel it. I was not on any pain meds until a few days after the ESI, so that may be why I was so inflamed. I do seem to recall my lower back being swollen for a few days, but I don't remember having a lump at the injection site. I also still have pain in my right hip, but mostly its bearable (and not different than before the ESI) My spine however is about 90% better pain wise. Only when my hip flares up really bad, does my spine start to hurt again. (Haven't been on meds for about a week now, somedays are better than others, like today, I didn't hardly notice hip pain until this evening when I did the dishes)

I think you should call your doctor, and just tell them what you are experiencing. I can't tell you that you are "fine" or otherwise (since I'm not a doctor) but hopefully its just swollen from the injection, and *cringe* all that moving and jabbing they did. But again, please call your doctor to make sure. I think there are risks of infection, so call them and be safe. Better safe then sorry right??

I am still cringing... I can't imagine going through that! I hope that everything works out fine for you, and that like me you will be feeling yourself again in a few days.

• Hiya >:D<
    Oh Geez im with manalerie on this one, ive just cringed and me toes curled up :O.Hopefully you are just sore ~X( To be on the safe side contact the doctor that did the injections, to make sure this is how you should be feeling >:D< I am so sorry that you are going through this :( I hope you start feeling better soon >:D< Keep us posted! let us know how you get on when you contact your doctor >:D<

Angie :H x
  • God willing but be ready in case, mine took a few weeks.
    I felt worse for a while.
    I know we are all different.

Do you have a temperature?
    Is the site red, swollen and angry?
    Weeping?

If you are worried get it checked.

I DO hope it works, even if it hurts like hell first!
  • No it appears normal, no weeping, just hard to the touch, like a welt, and tender as heck. It's a little better today, but not a whole lot. I am thinking it is just aggravated from the intrusion.
  • Sorry you're having the problems. I was usually pretty sore after a shot(like being hit in the kidney for a day or two). I never had a lump, though. You should consider calling the doctor's office about it, I think. Maybe they'll tell you it's a normal reaction. I don't know; it just never happened to me.

Hope you feel better!
  • Oh my gosh, that made me cringe too! :''( I have had 5 epidurals and they never helped me. But luckily, they also managed to go in and out without any problems. It's probably nothing, that acorn size bump, but I would call the doctor just in case. It is your spine after all. Nothing that you want to mess around with. It always creeped me out when they gave me my epidurals in the first place, I hate needles, :SS and especially big ones! But for them to have to do it twice, and then move it around, I feel for you. I hope it's nothing and I wish you the best. Good luck!
  • I had an epidural also yesterday and so far no relief... I'm not a Doctor and don't know if it could be the same thing as an abcess. Take care. I hope you'll be better soon and even if you can't reach the Dr. to go to a clinic or Urgent care just to make sure everything is okay. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank You for the replies and concerns. I have yet to call the doc. He is suppose to call me Tuesday to see if the injection helped so I'm going to wait until then. The area is still hard and very tender to the touch, but if I don't apply any pressure on the area then I don't really notice it like I did the first couple of days. It does seemed to have given me a little relief in regards to the normal back pain I experience in that region...it's so hard to tell when it is still tender, and I have yet to put it too the test yet being as such.
  • and I am in dire pain from it. The hip pain that I have now gets beyond unbearable. I did call and the oncall doc called me back and was a total jerk to me about it.

Anyway - I think that acorn thing is quite alarming and you should call asap.

Right after mine I had a low grade fever. When they called the following day to see how I was doing I told them about the low grade fever and they freaked out and lectured me that I should have called right away and that it could have been dangerous for me to wait.

So I'm with everyone else on this one - please call and let them know about the bump. I have never heard of anyone having anything like that. Waiting until Tuesday might be too long.

Do you have a fever? Even just a low grade? Have you looked online elsewhere to see if there is any info re something like this?

Good luck and let us know if you ended up calling the doc and what they said.

Take care.

Alina
  • I have had lots of these done and I can tell you that if my doc put me through what you went through? Well, let's just say that he would no longer be my doc! I am so sorry that you had such a horrid experience! I would get it checked out if for no other reason the fact that the doc seemed incompetent! Good luck and I hope you get some relief!
  • I did talk to the doc this past Tuesday and he didn't seem to think it was an issue. He was more interested in whether or not it helped the back/leg pain. The pain from the procedure is gone,(although it is still tender to the touch), and it didn't seem to help the leg, but it did give a little relief locally. Only were I to remain inactive though. if I strain my back in any way its status quo per usual and I have to lye down to relieve it.
  • I've read this thread with renewed interest.I've had mild back pain for years and it was getting progressively worse.
    After visiting a surgeon here in the U.K I was told after MRI's,Lumbar puncture,Nerve inductions tests all I had wrong was excess wear L4/L5 and didn't warrant surgery.

The pain got worse and as a Prison Officer being high on pain killers was no answer.I was referred to the Hospital Pain Clinic and an Epidural of Steroids was advised.

On February 27th 09 I had this procedure and within 2 days I was in absolute agony.8/10.

Doctor prescribed Trammadol for Pain.
    Diclofenac-anti inflammatory.
    ...and Diazepam-to relax the muscles.

It's been 7 weeks since the procedure and I found this site in desperation. I'm still waiting for a follow up appointment to discuss what happens next.
  • I don't know where in the UK you are but I hope it's not Dorset where I live, as you could be waiting a while for that follow up appointment!!! I have put in a bit of a whinging post under Spinal Injections "Really Bad Day" as my last injections done 5 weeks ago have just worn off and I have crashed & burned today!!! Have a read! You will probably have to chase them up! Ian
advertisement