Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Prima non Nocere....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Chronic Pain
"First do no harm" this ethic held by medical professionals is at the base of undertreated pain. I have been fighting for humane treatment of my spinal condition for over a year. My PCP believes in no opioids. The PM refferal was like minded. ESI and facet injections with no sedation no meds. "Thanks but no thanks!!!" Neutotin,Voltaren,Cymbalta,tylenol was IT and IT didn't work. Finally,as often done,I turned to alcohol and MJ. After more months of advocating and seaching I got into another PM practice. The numbers on my liver function are bad. She {the PM doc} says no tylenol,no booze,and an ultrasound of my liver my need to be done if the numbers don't improve. She has scheduled 3 cervical ESI's for November and will RX oxy ER once I can provide a clean urine sample which will be around the same time. The procedures are done under sedation and they will provide meds for the days following the procedure. The pain journey of a thousand steps begins with breaking through the wall of ignorance. "First do no harm" Well docs how do you think you did with me? Michael #o
advertisement

Comments

• This made me smile, not sure if it was meant to or not!

We all will self medicate in what ever way we can, normal I'd say, especially when you are struggling.
    That said, you should try heat too...

I know how it feels to have the rug tugged from you - hopelessness and despair. What you going to do? Just sit there?

Try the Oxy route - I get some relief here and it is better than what I tried before. You need to be responsible too with these meds. Good Luck!
  • welcome Mike and many of us have been same route. Hope that new PM practice is able to absolve some of your issues. Again, welcome and look forward to seeing you around.
  • I was thinking about this EXACT thing last night. "Do no harm"

Are they causing me harm? Not directly I suppose. But my pain forces me to believe otherwise. I plan on adding that into my letter to my ex-doctors.

Epidural without sedation? Yah, that's a PAIN. Good Luck on your journey to finding relief of pain. I'm there too.

Amanda
  • Through info from SH other sites and posters on the forum I have found my way to control my pain as best I can. I stretch,exercise,use heat/ice,rest as needed,use relaxation techniques etc.. Please don't think I became a drunk only a few drinks [beer or wine] at night. The tylenol 2 to 4 per day along with nsaids. The MJ helped alot,don't know why, but it did. The use of tylenol combined with alcohol over the course of 8 months was stupid of me but desperate people do desperate things. I hope someone [docs too] benifits from my experience. Things must change, the medical community along with the public need more education surrounding this issue which will only increase as the population ages. Thanks for listening, Michael
  • Michael,

That was a great post, I feel the same way at times, why do some doctors claim this oath yet fail at it.Yes, my doctor gives me meds, but refuses to look into adjunct meds to help overall.I already take anti depressants so why do they keep pushing for more, my muscle spasms could use some help and I do as much physical activity as I can>my current gout attack prevents much physical activity and my back is all bent out of shape now.I started having burning sensations on my right arm(a first), my toes are burning too.On top of it all a cold front is coming my way.

I was out yesterday and a person walked up to me and told me I looked miserable and in pain.I actually busted out in tears, a stranger acknowledged my feelings whereas my doctor does not seem to see that.I am at about 7-9 daily in pain, cannot walk w/o hurting my back further and the meds I have are too weak.Last time an ER doctor treated me better than my own doctor.I am moving back to Florida and hope that with a complete "reset" of my medical team, that I may at least have a life.
  • Micheal welcome. I am so glad that this site has helped you through some of your pain.
    Hey we all do stupid things sometimes when it comes to being in pain all the time and no one will listen. We all end up learning by our mistakes.
    We are not here to judge anyone when it comes to pain.

I am very glad you found a PM that is willing to work with you. They very well could of said. "I'm not treating you" "Out".
    I will say the ESI with sedation was a peice of cake. OK probably because I cried so hard in the OR before the needle was even put in they gave me more meds and I do not remember a thing!! @) @) @)
    Its a good trick of mine =)) Ok I give IM A HUGE BABY when it comes to pain ;) It did not help my lumbar as I had a condition called spondylolthesis and well no treatment was going to fix that. Only stablizing the spine. That pain is gone WHOOO HOOOO. The ESI did work very well for my thoracic disk issues.
    Alot of people are sore after these procedures so that was thoughtful of them to give you something for the pain afterwards. Some feel great when they are done. Mine was like a bruised feeling.
    So I am wishing the very best of luck to you and your journey. I hope it turns out to be a good one and controls some of your pain!!!
    O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:)
  • Love it. I don't know how to do one.

Michael, I'm glad your doctor is giving you a chance and is willing to treat you. Most are strict, and if you go in for the very first appt, and they do an urine screen and is positive, they tell you not to let the door hit you on the way out.
    I understand your pain and I know you are at your wits end, and I do not judge no one. I think MJ stays in your system for about a month, I may be wrong. But when you clear, that Oxy will help you a lot. There will probably be a pain contract you sign, and most forbid drinking as well. You don't know how I'd like to have 1 beer, but I don't chance it. It also interacts with your medications and it can be dangerous. I haven't drank since last year.
    I had ESI's in the lumbar region, and unfortunately did me no good. I am tryng to recover from my 2nd surgery (fusion with hardware). My 1st surgery (microdiscectomy) didn't help.
    I did have my ESI's with a local only, no sedation. At pain mgt they have me on Fentanyl and Norco, along with other meds for nerve pain and muscle spasms.

I hope your ESI's give you some relief. Take care
  • you Michael. I really wonder how many illegal drug users or alcohol abusers are really self medicating themselves due to chronic physical or mental pain. I think that most would be surprised to know the truth. It sounds like you have finally found some help now and I hope that you get some relief soon. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • Thanks people, I really did not know what to expect at the PM so I went in with zero expectations. Total honesty! I had a psych eval for an hour and an hour with the doc. The week prior there was a two hour orientation. I have not made my mind up about opiods but I have cleaned up my act because of health reasons. I have upped my exercise program and it seems to work for stress. I want to post in another forum about the emotional toll that untreated pain has caused in my life to get it off my chest and out there for others to learn from. And I totally agree they were great at the PM practice, I am truely blessed to be there. Peace.....Michael p.s...the kindness of strangers is SH forum members!
  • Hi, I just saw your post to Michael and I have that too. I was in a MVA in 2003 and it aggravated my condition, causing the pain in leg and back. I am so frustrated right now. I had my MRI last night and called the Dr.'s office to make an appointment. They said that I could see a different doctor on Monday, but my doc doesn't have any openings until November. So I have been in severe pain for about two weeks and I know that doctor will not help. When I saw another doctor there about this problem, he wouldn't change my docs orders, so I know I will still be in the same situation. I called back a bit later and asked to speak to the nurse and the receptionist was so snotty. I feel like I have become a nuisance and joke to them. I have been trying to get a call from my DOC for a week and a half and I don't even know if they have told her. I just want to talk to her and she has been so awesome in the past. I started going to this office because she moved there. I don't even know where to start looking for another doc, because I have been told when looking for a doc for my dad, no one wants to take on a chronic pain pt. I just feel like I am being ignored, and I feel like I am being treated like a drug addict, and I have never asked or done anything to be treated like that. Sorry to blab on and on....
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.