Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Where can I get a micro endoscopic disectomy?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I have been doing some research for the disectomy my surgeon recommended for my pain. I found some information on the web about the micro endoscopic disectomy, but only found one doctor in my area that offers it and he is not taking new patients. I started blindly calling other NS and OS to find someone who offers it but the office staff keeps confusing it with the microscopic disectomy. It seems you go home with only a 5 cm incision, does not cut through major muscle, and recovery rate is much faster.

Where can I find such a surgeon to offer this procedure?

Is anyone who needs a disectomy elligible for this surgery?

What is the down time for the procedure?

What are the restrictions after surgery?

Are the results of the micro endoscopic disectomy surgery the same as the micro disectomy and the open disectomy?
advertisement

Comments

• Welcometo Spine Health Alicia. You will find a lot of people in here who have had what you are done. You will also find many topics which answer your questions better than I will here.

Endoscopic discectomy is just a style if you will. It's a surgeons preferance based on hist experience doig these surgeries.

A discectomy is a discectomy, no matter how it is performed. It is merely the removal of material, and that is it.

As for downtime, I was working remotely the next day and back at work about 5 days later.

The results of a discectomy is the same no matter what the terminology / style is discussed (procedurally). The outcome is different for every single person. It is purely unique to you as to the outcome.

Now the question. The first sentence state your surgeon suggested this..... but you are looking for a surgeon. Is this surgeon the one who is not taking new patients? If so I would "assume", cause I dont know, that he would suggest someone, or your Primary Care Physiscian (PCP) could find one and refer you to them.

Best wishes to you,
  • Sorry for the confusion.
    My surgeon only does the open disectomy. (Big scar more cutting). The only surgeon I found (not the surgeon that recomended the disectomy) that does a micro endoscropic disectomy in the St. Louis area is not taking new patients. I asked about a waiting list to see this doc., but then found out he still would not take me because my hernaition was due to a car accident in lidigation. (This seems stupid to me because my health insurance not the car insurance is paying all of my medical bills. My health insurance is working with my lawyer so they will get paid back from the car insurance once I am finished treating. Basically the physican would not be involved since my lawer is 99% sure we can settle out of court.He would only have to send a copy of my chart to my lawyer.) So long story short, I need to find a different physician hopefully one that offers the micro endoscopic disectomy. The origanal surgeon I went to, will do surgery on me, but he only preforms the open disectomy (he said my incision would be 2 inches long and I would be out 4-6 weeks from work) . I would be willing to travel to have a less invasive procedure that has less down time from work.
  • So far, so good. My pain meds are minimal. I may take one dose once every few days. I can walk well, although still no bending, lifting, or twisting. I get some twinges of pain, but it's not bad. Sitting is still a bit difficult sometimes as I get a burning sensation in my R glute. It depends on the chair. The nurse assured me that the sciatic nerve is still swollen. Much of these issues will resolve over the course of several weeks. Check out the Duke University Spine Center website.

Dryden
  • but my recovery took much longer. My endo microD was radical though. Lots of docs will hesitate to see you if you mention car accident because they do not want any possibility of being involved in litigation. Good luck.
advertisement