Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Interesting epidural experience

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Management
I live in a small town in Iowa with really good health care facilities. I saw the PM doctor for the first time Tuesday. It was his first day here after a second residency in PM. He was patient, listened well, and helpful. He sent me for an epidural which I had at noon today.

Afterwards, they told me I could get up and get dressed. The nurse took out the iv port (they put a port in but didn't use it). When I stood up I had a terrible head ache in the back of my head and neck. I thought "Oh no the famous epidural headache". So the nurse was panicking and trying to put the iv port back in and couldn't find a vein. The doctor came in all worried and apologetic.

Turns out the headache was probably caused by my clinching my jaw and neck muscles and it pretty much went away on it's own. The doctor came back and when he saw I could sit up he was elated. He said he had never had a person with a spine headache when doing this procedure and he didn't believe he had contacted spinal fluid. He said since this was his first week at the hospital he was really worried. I told him I would not go out and tell all my friends that he gave me a headache.

P.S. My back feels ever so much better!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi and welcome to spine health and very nice to meet you ;)
    Sorry you had the headache. But so glad it gave you pain relief. It worked for my thoracic disk pain, but not my lumber.
    This is why alot of PM's give concious sedation so that the muscles are relaxed. Not all do as you will read more postings.
    I certainly would not have without it. I was relaxed, do not remember a thing except waking up with horrible burning in my back that lasted like 4 days till the medicine did its job. But was controlled with oral meds the dr gave me to take home.

So I wish you continued success with this shot. And I am so very glad you found the 'perfect' dr that listens to your needs. They are far and few between..

If you need anything at all don't hesitate to ask one of us for help.

Take care have a pain free weekend!!!!!!
    Terri ;) O:) >:D<
  • I had an epidural Thursday and have yet to feel some relief from it. I'm glad you've experienced some relief. They say it starts working in 3-5 days and not yet 5 days for me. Sorry you had the headache though. See you around. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Oma. :H Glad you got relief with your injection. I'm still not quite back to pre-injection levels and mine was on Monday. But more importantly, I'm so happy that you found a good PM!!!

Sorry you had the headache afterwards.
  • I had my second epidural yesterday. Since I got a tension headache last time I really worked at relaxing my neck muscles before the procedure. At the last minute the doctor said, "would you like a sedative" I said Yes! I didn't know it was an option. So he said "give her 2 versed". I don't know 2 what but they gave me 2 syringes by IV port. And it was ever so much better than last time. I had no versed side effects and I didn't get the headache. I felt fine after wards.

The PM doc said the effectiveness of the first epidural would peak at 2 weeks and it really did.

I have had physical therapy for a week now with a new PT who is great. The main pain I have now is from the sore muscles from the exercises the PT is giving me.

I pray everyone could be as pain free as I feel right now...and that it will last.

• I'm so happy to hear that you are getting relief from the injection! Even happier that you were able to get an IV sedative. My PM doesn't do IV sedatives. They prefer to have the patient awake to find out where pain is during the procedure. I'd rather be knocked out.

Hope you continue to improve!!
advertisement