Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion with donated bone? Anyone have that?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My father is having an ACDF on C5/C6 as soon as they can schedule it. They're not using plates or screws, though, but rather donated bone from a cadaver (eek). I'm wondering if any of you have had this done, and how it compares recovery and prognosis-wise to the fusions with metal hardware.
advertisement

Comments

• Hmmm, I have something called Connexus-DBM, donor bone matrix I believe, it is like a putty used along with my own bone chips and bmp and a cage for my fusion. I do think there is something more like a solid piece of bone shaped like a cage that they implant in the disc space. I'll put the link to the product I have, as they have lots of different donor bone products you can check out. I am sure others have had it and will post soon. Good luck to your dad, Sue
    http://www.isotis.com/prod_accell_connexus.php
  • actually, most people have that. Fusion is usually when they take the person's disc out and put cadaver bone in place of it. the screws and plates are only to hold it all in place while the bone solidifies with the vertebra, or fuses. Nowadays, there are other options, like using the person's own bone taken from the hip bone, or BMP which is a substance that becomes one with the bone, or even a disc replacement with a metal "disc".
    My fusion was done with cadaver bone.
    hope that helps- Jenn
  • my fusion was done with cadaver bone with plate and screws. Dr. said it was very safe. Using your own bone adds another site to heal and have pain from. Also checked with my brother who is a cardiologist. He explained how the bones are steralized, etc..made me feel very comfortable. Good luck to you and your Dad
  • I have hardware,donor bone and bone from my hip and spine.
  • I just thought I would mention another option that my surgeon is using. He is using the bone that they take out from the spine area plus blood with bone marrow from my hip area. He said he has been very sucessful with this.
  • I see. Now I'm confused in that Mom and Dad don't seem to kow if hardware is involved--maybe it's unclear to them. With everything else Dad is contending with medically, this is a small thing--but I'm concerned if there are plates and screws and such that his healing might be rough (lots of other medical problems).

Thanks for your experiences and info--it helps me know what to ask my folks, and Dad's doctors. :)
  • Hi

I'm going in for a 3 level fusion in the morning and am having NO bone grafts at all, but Stem Cell and Bone Marrow with rods and screws. The hardware is put in place to ensure a good fusion, and can be removed if need be in the future

The damaged discs are removed and a titanium cage put in there place, filled with my own bone marrow and stem cells along with collagen strips. This saves pain from any graft site, or rejection from donor bone. The consultant has not used bone grafts for 8 years.

Just another option
  • I believe that is the same thing that my surgeon is using. Please post and let us know how it goes.

Good luck tomorrow!

Julie
advertisement