Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New To back pain, any help is appreciated.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
I have a couple questions if someone can help me. I'm not sure my company Dr is really doing what is right.

My history
The pain in my lower back started a little over three months ago.(mid july)
I work for a trucking company, and after unloading about 18,000lbs of cartons, the next day I noticed some pain and stiffness in my low back and shoulder. (just focusing on the back) And went down hill from there.

Over these months, I've gone from just the low back pain, to:
Dull aching pain in left thigh, hip and buttocks. (that does not go away!) This pain does not travel below the knee.

But I get a prickly/falling asleep feeling on the bottom of my left foot, both of the above get worse when sitting for more than 10-15min.

Increased pain in thigh when walking up hill, bending forward. Twisting and bending backwards with no increase/noticeable changes.

The last month nothing has changed except now I get an occasional electric shock(best i can describe)along my spine if i move wrong or something. But the worst part about two or three times a week now, i'm getting an unbearable "burning" feeling in my thigh. I say it feel's like an electric range heating up. It starts slowly building until it's red hot, then just cool's back down. This last's maybe 5-7 seconds, and is a 20 on their 1-10 pain thingy.

MRI
Got my MRI results today, Dr put's me on Meloxicam, and three week's PT. He stated that "because my pain did not go below my knee, it was probably a muscle problem, not sciatica based on my MRI."

Here are my MRI result's if someone could decipher them, I'd just like to know if there something there the company Dr isn't telling me. (the copy of mri I have is not that good, so I'll try and spell everything best I can make out :).

Technique: Multiplanar MR imaging of the lumbar spine.

Findings: There is normal lerdotic alignment. Paravertebral soft tissues appear unremarkable. Marrow signal shows no significant abnormality. The conus medullaris and cauda equina show normal signal characteristics without focal compression.

L1-4 intervertebral discs appear unremarkable.
L4-5 shows mild desiccation of the disc with a slight broad based bulge producing minimal bilateral foraminal narrowing.
L5-S1 appears unremarkable.

Impression: Mild L4-L5 disc bulge with slight bilateral foraminal stenoses. No focal disc protrusion or herniation seen. Mild facet bypertrophy lower lumbar spine.

To me that just sounds like Aww, no big deal. And apparently to my gen practitioner, but my leg keeps saying SEE A NEW DOCTOR! What do you think, and can something that these results show to be "Mild" cause the symptoms I'm having? I know the pain i'm in, and just get the feeling they are just trying to blow me off.

Thanks for any help you may give.
Teamster

advertisement

Comments

• Hi and welcome to Spine Health.

Its common for all of us to seek two or three opinions about our conditions. This is your back we are talking about, so you need a proper doagnosis by a doctor you can trust. This can take two or more attempts.

The pains you are feeling are real, I know all too well the pain you are describing when you describe the burning pain in your thigh. It can reduce you to tears I have found.

I have been keeping a pain diary, a list of activities you have done and how you have coped with them, if they cause a reaction to you, what is the reaction and what is the pain on the pain scale. You can show your doctor this at your visits. Be in charge, have the information at your fingertips and as I said find a good doctor.

Wishing you all the very best for a speedy diagnosi and course of treatment.
    Love Danni

• Welcome Teamster friend, I'm glad you found spine health.
    I have found help here with my situations and I'm sure you will to.
    Good Luck, From The wife of A Truck Driver Teamster Brother
    Patsy
  • Wow, my first post, and the first two replys are from women 8> look out fellas!

Thank you Ladies for your reply's. I see alot of information here that may be helpful, and look forward to learning more about my symptoms to better understand what's going on. I hope your both having a great evening, and Patsy tell your hubby to be safe, and live my motto "I may not be home tonight, But I'll be home" Thanks again!
    T
  • =P~ hope everi thing gous wel whith you
  • IMHO, I see bilateral foraminal stenosis (nerve compression) and a disc bugle. I must say that this is only my opinion, but even mild nerve compression can cause the symptoms you have. This can be harmful if left untreated so it is my opinion that you should SEEK RELIABLE MEDICAL HELP NOW!!!!!!! Do it before it gets worse, I know you don't want this to become permanent. I wish you the best of luck, if you have any questions, I've been in the game for 6 years. I hope you find what works for you and that you get some relief. Just because you get the brush off or the lecture on how half the population has disc problems, it's important to remember that NOT EVERYONE HAS PAIN AND SYMPTOMS LIKE YOURS. Please find the right help, good luck!!!
    Sincerely,
    Lisa
advertisement