Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My latest news and request for info.....

inafixiinafix Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey y'all,

So I saw my NS yesterday for my 12 week check (I'm 13 weeks post op today). I told him about some of the issues I am having and he decided to have a CT and new MRIs ordered. This time I will have the MRIs with and without contrast. I have never had anything with contrast. So I go in tomorrow morning. I am just curious about the contrast. I know it will be a breeze for me but my questions are where do they inject you at and will I feel any effects at all from the injection during and after?

For those of you who have followed my story, my NS said I can't go back to work yet (*duh*) gave me another month off AND they are ok with that ...I was so worried. He also does NOT want me to be bending even though I have been at the instruction of my PT gal. He also told me to wear my soft corset brace if/as I needed or wanted to. He also bumped my Percocet back up to 10mg 1-2 every 6 hours as needed. I am only using it at night. I was so glad he didn't poo poo my new pain and numbness. I'm not sure he is really too concerned though... what do you think is it early for these tests post-op? We also discussed my neck issue and he says unless it becomes emergent we should wait about a year before we do the disk replacement at the C-6/7 level to give my spine a break... does it ever end? :''(

I'm just trying to be patient and go with the flow. My next NS appmt. is not until 11/6 but I am on the stand by list for any cancellations they might get so even though I am having the tests quickly I won't know what they show for a month.
advertisement

Comments

• I have had contrast with both CT and MRI. They injected it intravenously (sorry, I am pretty sure that is NOT spelled right but...) in the back of my hand one time and my arm another. The only thing I remember was that it felt very warm - and they had warned me about that - but it did not hurt at all and there were no after effects.

Are these tests because of the pain you experienced after starting PT or something else - sorry, I don't remember.

• Contrast MRI allows scar tissue to show up real well. Basically they will do a normal MRI and then inject the contrast and scan the areas of concern.

Simple and painless.

"C"
  • may make give you a warmth speading through you. It may also make you feel like you are peeing your pants but dont worry you wont.
    You will need to fill out a form regarding allergies as they need to check allergie agains the ingrtedients in the contrast. I know there are some I cant have due to seafood allergies.

It really is easy so dont worry.
    I had CT scan done at 12 weeks also due to increased pain at the time.
    At least they will be able to see better if the fusion is starting.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Thanks guys! It was a breeze. I felt a very slight warm rush through my face and not much else. I'm glad it is over. Hopefully it will show that everything is okay.

Thanks for your replies.

Kel
  • trust in the doc, he knows what he is doing and what they are looking for.

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried (symptoms) so I am sure the issues you discuss lend themselves to help him.

Hopefully your scans will be OK and not show any real issues.
advertisement