Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dependancy

backpainishellbbackpainishell Posts: 970
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
I am going through with drawel from some of the medication i have been taking for my back issues @) . The PM doctor has taken them off me because they are trying to find out what i am having a reaction to :? . Im due to have epidurals in november :''( , but because of how poorly i have been with my back they want to do them sooner., but they cant because my legs are swollen :''( they will not go down, i have been taking water tablets and they havnt made any difference :( . So now im in pain :''( , with swollen legs :O , going through a withdrawel @) . Is anyone dependant on there medication? @) Do you feel you have to take the medication even if you dont need it? :? Have you a dependancy on presciption medication? would like to hear your stories! >:D<

Angie :H
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Angie, please read my post 'Fighting Fenatnyl' I have become highly dependant on my patches, 50 mcgs per hour for nine months, can't go 24 hours without withdrawels kicking in, this is a nightmare, worst than coping with the pain I had!! What med's have you been dependant on?....Lorraine x
  • hiya lolly, >:D<
    I have read your post, and i can relate to it :) . I was addicted to morphine and had to go through withdrawel it was awful @) . The withdrawel i am going through at the moment is mild, im addicted to amitriptyline, which is an antidepressant, it was prescibed to relax my spine :S . I was taking nabumetone and brexidol, they are mainly anti inflametries, im not sure if they are addictive :? . At the moment im sweating but shivering, i will go hot but feel cold to touch and i have had some sicknees and shaking, stomach cramps,I am in so much pain with my back and leg , but it is mild to last time :( . If you dont need the patches as much i would go and see the doctor and ask if he can help you and maybe replace the patches :? . Keep Posting!

• I am so sorry that you are going through all that. It makes me so sad. I have had the w/drawls before and I thought I was going to die! It is the worst feeling ever! Do the doctors have any idea why you are having the leg swelling? Did it start in your feet and then move up? I ask these questions because my mom had a similar problem before... If they haven't decided what is causing is, suggest that they try a 24hr urine collection and check for high levels of protein. It may not even be the same as my mom, but it wouldn't hurt to check!
    Good luck!
  • All people who are on regular meds are dependant on their meds. Its a sad but true statement. I will be the 1st to admitt that I do have a dependancy to a certain degree to some of my prescribed meds. I'm not saying everyone who takes a pain pill is dependant but if you take them regulary you are. Cause if you just stop them you go into withdrawls, and we all know that withdrawls are the worst to go threw.

Angie I'm sorry to hear what you are going threw, hopefully soon you can get your injections you need.

Paula
  • Hiya Terri,
    Thankyou for replying to my post :) . The swelling has gone down a little when i get up in the mornings :O . Then through the day it feels like its rising from my feet up :''( . I can actually feel it moving upwards :S . They have said its water retention, if you press on the swollen legs on your mom and it stays there , then that is the same as what i am having :( . They feel heavy, when i walk too :S .

• Hiya Paula,
    I have to agree with your post :) , i never really looked at it tht way :? . Thankyou for your kind words. @)

• :) Hi! why isnt' your doctor helping you through this? :O there is no reason in this day to go through withdrawals like that. there is a way to reduce your meds little by little and eventually taper off. i have never heard of a doctor not taking care of this with a patient. It can be dangerous as well. Perhaps you need to speak to your doctor before you go any further. Good luck with whatever you decide! Jenny :)
  • darlin darlin darlin,
    you sure have had your share of suffering, get over here to the US so we can run tests, cut you open and get you better!!!! ;) no seriously do you have anything for pain as in narcotic?? i cannot remember if you told me or not.
    i was on amptriptyline for a year and never had withdrawals from it, but then again we switched from one of those meds to another so thats a possible why.

you shouldn't have to suffer my goodness. yes (personal opinion) we have discussed before there has to be a underlying condition there of the swelling. im surprised they did not want blood work a.s.a.p. but of course you are over there and i am here so things work different.

i am sending you cyber huggiessssssssssssssssssss
    keep warm, if you have a heating pad or heating blanket and sleep it off hunny...
    except no heat on those legs...
    keep them up as much as possible, but also keep moving them around while laying down.
    I LOVE UUUUUUUUUUUUU
    :* >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Hiya Lula, >:D<
    Thankyou for your reply. The doctors both the hospital and the (GP) are the ones that have taken me off the meds, they want to find the drug thats doing this. This is a gradual withdrawel, well it is to how i was last time. i have the shakes tonight and cant settle, but i slept all afternoon.

Angie
  • Hiya Terri, >:D<
    I Have been on amitriptyline for about 2 years i was on 150mg a day.I take lyrica 600mg and zamadol 400mg and they have taken the rest off me .He looked at my legs and pressed them down, his finger left an imprint, he then said its definatly water retention, he did say they were very swollen, i finish the course of water tablets on sunday. I have to phone the hospital and let them know how i am. I have to see the doctor the week after. I am getting tired of all this. I have the shakes quite badly tonight, and its an effort to type. I have sweats and are cold to touch. i shiver and burn up. Ive only been sick a couple of times, it is a mild withdrawel compaired to last time.It has made me wonder what medication does to our bodies. Terri ...I LOVE YOU TO >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

ANGIE X
  • First let me say I am so sorry you are having to go through this....the only drug I had w/d from was the Ultram and that was bad enough. I see that you take Lyrica. Lyrica can cause swelling in the feet and legs, that is a side effect, also you should never stop Lyrica cold turkey...you have to taper that drug. I hope things get better for you and I send many prayers.

Sharon
  • Hi there backpainishell. Toyoungforthis is correct. All of us on the long term narcotics, and other addictive stuff eventually build up a dependency to meds. Has your doctor weaned you off your meds slowly or just cut you off "cold turkey"? If cold turkey, it can be harmful, so give him a call to make sure that this is indeed what he wants. Hang in there baby!
    How do you guys get those cute little smiley faces on there? And how do you put your little biography on the bottom? (I am new to this site if you can't tell)
  • Hi Angie,

Just wanted to say how sorry I am you're having to go through this. Being without pain meds when you're in pain is bad enough without adding withdrawal symptoms to the mix.

I agree with Sharon about the Lyrica. How come they didn't try taking you off that one first - water gain is a classic Lyrica symptom?

I only had very slight withdrawal problems when I went cold turkey off Vicodin. Headache, tired, felt like I was in a fog. Now I am fortunate that the Lyrica I am on - and the epidural shots - work well enough that I don't take my Vicodin Mon-Thurs at all, so I don't really have to worry about addiction too much at this time. But I can definately feel for anyone who is dealing with that.

Hope it passes very quickly and more easily for you in the next few days and mostly that they can get to the bottom of your problems and back on track for pain relief.

Summer
  • Sorry you're going through all this. I'm on lasix and decreased my lyrica. The leg swelling is going down. I can't understand why they can't take you down slowly from your meds. My feet were so tight and dry and puffy as anything like elephant's feet. I had epidural injection and just waiting to see if it helped. I have feeling in my toes now finally but thought it would never end. I'm wishing you all the best Angie. >:D< Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am still taking lyrica im not going through any withdrawel on that. just to update you, on how this withdrawel is going. today i have the shakes really bad. I have been so so sick, it pulls on my back when im sick. my pain level is high i have pain and stiffness in my lower back, i have pain in my neck running down my arm, my right hand wont work properly. I an normally right handed, so using my left hand and having the shakes its not a good mix. i do have the siatic pain down my right leg but i can deal with that. All the other pain i have hurts so much. Oh and my legs are still swollen. my fiance i havnt seen him he cant deal with illness, but how the hell does he think i feel. I just feel like crying, and i feel so alone with all this.

angie
  • I'm so sorry you feel so alone! I wish that I lived near you so that I could come to visit you and give you a little support... Keep coming to the boards and stay connected with the people here that understand what you're going through. Hang in there, you will get through this and feel better in no time. Please know that I am thinking about you and praying for relief for you. You can do this!! Sleep when you can!
  • To add a signature to your posts, go to your account and up in the right hand corner there is a place to click on to edit (it says view/edit) If you go there you will be able to add what you want at the bottem and also add a picture/avatar if you wish.
    The smileys are at the top of each post and you just have to click on one to add it in your post or in your signature!
    Good luck! I look forward to reading your posts... Happy posting!">image

• Anti depressants have the worst withdrawals, I am so sorry you are going through this.When I quit lexapro it took me a year to stop having "brain zaps" and just general flu like symptoms and severe manic episodes.Doctors worry so much about the "narcotics" but the anti depressants(which are given like candy) mess up your brain chemistry and when stopped without a taper will make life miserable.Best advice is try and keep your mind busy and to do any physical exercise(if doctor and you decide it is alright of course) to help your body heal.
  • As Terrie said, we can sympathize about your feelings. I think we all feel alone at times. Neck/back problems can affect almost every part of your life too. Hang in there. We are thinking about you ...plus I am lifting you up in prayer now. ;o) >:D<
  • Thankyou for you kind message. When i say im alone i mean , you can be in a room full of people and have everything you need in life, but you can still feel lonely. Thankyou for your prayer .

Angie x
  • Angie,

Hunnie, been thinking of you loads recently. How are you doing now with these withdrawals? Has is calmed down any for you?

Angie, if you want my telephone number I can always PM it to you so we can chat and talk through some of these issues. Its no problem for me to call you.

How is your fiance doing?

I guess if he has known the 'well' you its hard to accept the new you, if only temporary. However he needs to talk about these issues through with you. Communication is vital in these matters.

My husband wanted a divorce a few weeks back. I was calm about it all, and said 'ok, if that is what you really want then you can have everything and I will walk away with what I own. He didn't really talk much for a couple of hours, he knew that I was serious.

He came and sat opposite me and said 'we need to talk'. We talked for hours. I made notes about his issues, his issues about himself, his issues with me, his issues with life in general. We made a plan to try and work through this stuff. To anyone else that would read it , they would think why are they bothering, but the truth is we have been together 10 years and we have been so good to each other, in some really hard times, (death of two family members in the same week, an attempted murder,) so when we looked at it on the paper there isnt anythign that cannot be worked through.

His response the last time I was in hospital was understandable - he doesn't like people being sick as he then feels that way himself, and when they are vomiting blood that just freaked him out.

Sorry Angie, this is a long post. I guess what I was trying to say is sit down with your fiance and just talk. Some of it might not be nice to hear but if you are both playing on the same playing field, ie knowing exactly how people are feeling and why, and how you can help them and vice versa its got to be a good thing.

You have a lovely bubbly personality and that shines bright when you are on here, even when you yourself are feeling rough. You are so honest, I admire you for coming on here and talking about your withdrawals from meds, its helped many of us Im sure. I know you have helped me as its highlighted some of the symptoms I have been experiencing myself.

Angie sending you lots of love and hugs, and hope that you have a lovely day today, dispite this dulll grey wet weather lol.

Take care of yourself hunnie

Love Danni xxxxx >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I absolutely agree. It took me a year to transfer from effexor 350 mgs to cymbalta then another year of brain zaps to move over to prozac which works great for me. The brain zaps made me suicidal maniacal and absolutely irrational and horribly depressed.
    Brain zaps are worse than my experience coming off 400 mgs of oxy , 10 mgs of klonipin ativan etc
  • Again, the distinction needs to be made between psychological dependency versus physical dependency. Who becomes dependent on what varies greatly person-to-person depending on your brain chemistry. I got near-complete pain relief with certain injections, and wouldn't have to take Vicodin for a week at a time, without any withdrawal symptoms; it's nice to take a "drug holiday" and know you you are not dependent. However, I have to say that I was on Percocet after my fusion for 3 weeks and I did have issues of tapering off without feeling terrible.
    I was actually surprised to know you can withdrawal from amitryptiline, but just found out that is true as well! Most doctors and references also suggest that if you are going to stop the seizure/nerve-pain drugs like Neurontin, Lyrica, Topomax you should taper them as well - I always thought it had to do with seizure thresholds only but actually the pain docs recommend tapers as well. The higher the dose and the longer you have been on a med the slower it should be tapered, but your doc knows best. So, backpainishell, there may be a rationale for what your PM is doing, but I would think tapers would be needed, and you may need to increase one drug to compensate for loss of the effect of the other. I can't imagine being off everything at once without the benefit of a block.
  • If you are still taking the Lyrica, that is most likely the cause of the edema ( swelling and water retention) that you are suffering from.
    I had the same exact problem going on, I was taking 600 mg of Lyrica ( 200 mg, three times a day) for more than a year, and finally had to stop taking it, because the increased weight gain from it and because of the pitting edema.
    You might want to suggest to your doctors that they slowly take you off it, and see how the retention and pitting is as you lower your dose. As soon as I was off it entirely, within a week, the pitting and the edema went away.
    Sandi
advertisement