Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SHould I try Fentenal Patch?

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
Im on Oxycontin 40 mg 2x day and vicoden 7.5 4 x a day. These were working great along with my epidural injection I had on Aug 27. But now the epi has worn off, Im back in work full time where I sit all day and I am in excrutiating pain. The vicodin does NOTHING for me. The Oxy works great but that wears off by 10:00am from me sitting. I see my PM DR on Oct 21st. Is it possible to take the oxy 3 x's a day or would the patch be a better option for me. I cant go out of work again or I WILL be fired no doubts about that. Im on thin ice now.
advertisement

Comments

• Thanks Deb, I know I will never be totally pain free I just want it so I can continue to work and not feel like crying all day because of the pain. By 10:00am everyday I could just lay down and cry. Im up every 10 min and I also lay on the floor at work. I cant get comfortable. I hate to have to increase my meds.
  • Hi There,

Trial and error I am afraid..you need to be clear and honest with your employer and say that you are likely to be trying new meds and until they find one that helps, please can they give you some grace. You will do your best...blah blah..

In UK we have disability discrimination act to help protect us, not sure where you are in the world, you must have something to throw at a less than sympathetic employer?

See what the doctors suggest and have a try. Side effects versus theraputic effect, if any and how much that may be.
    Remember we are all different and respond different to these meds.

You never said what was the cause of your pain?

I wish you luck. Be open to their suggestions. >:D<
  • I have DDD, severe stenosis, 3 herniated disks, 2 bulging disks. I was out of work April to MAy and then again July to Sept 29th. I have used all allowable time. When I asked my Dr for a retun to work letter he said I was crazy, ( not really crazy crazy) but willing to try to work with everything in my back. I consulted with 3 surgeans who all said NO WAY would they touch me too much damage. I applied for SSDIsability but that takes so long and because I went back to work it may be impossible.
  • :T I would consult with your PCP and EXHAUST all avenues before I even though about using the Fentanyl Patch. I have been prescribed almost the whole gambit of pain medications and the "Patch" was the absolute worst. Different strokes for different folks. Educate yourself to wits end before you make this step. Now I'm seeing tons of ambulance chasers begging for the relatives of those who have died from this medication to call their firm to "cash" in. This should speak volumes.
  • I personal used the Fentynal Patch for about 4 months when I was unable to swallow any pills and I have to say it was comparable to my pain meds. even though by the end of second day the effectiveness wore off so I changed mine every 60 hours instead of 72, with the doctors okay.
    When I was able to swallow a bit better I gradually got off patch and took my pain pills again.
    I started off with 25mg and that did not cut it went to 50mg and that was the lucky number for me.
    I read somewhere I believe on board (could be wrong) but you can put on belly area huh I'm not sure about that but I did see it somewhere and if that is the truth that would of been nice to know back in the day when I used the patch. In school we were taught upper arms and upper back, and to rotate areas with every change.
    Of coarse this is only my experience with the patch and every one is different.
    thanks Patsy
  • hurtzallot said:
    ... Now I'm seeing tons of ambulance chasers begging for the relatives of those who have died from this medication to call their firm to "cash" in. ...
    Do you have any links you could posts that reference this?

"C"
  • I made a mistake on dose of patch it should read 25mcg and 50mcg not mg sorry
  • www.usdrugrecall.com/category/medical-devices/duragesic-pain-patch-48k-

• I did see a commercail on TV for that today.Now I have nothing good or bad to say about the duragesic pain patch.It is the patch that my brother used-however he abused it,and is not a good example.The commercail said fentanyl(sp),but the link (above) says duragesic.Are they the same thing..I could look it up but busy with something else right now.

The commercail mentioned 'faulty' patches that can be 'fatal'.I have seen this commercail a few times in the past couple days on both MSNBC and FOX (I switch-lol).I was not actually watching the TV,but was surfing on the pc and heard it in the background so I cannot quote it.
  • The current ambulance chasing is just a typical make-a-buck response to the recent voluntary recalls, which were the result of production issues with the patch delivery system, not problems specifically with the drug.

Lawyers are simply taking advantage of the existing fear of opiates and the convenience of recalls that received press coverage. Ironically, the recalls only rated press coverage as a result of society's fear of opiates; after all, baseless fears can't be perpetuated unless those opportunities are seized and fully exploited.

I agree that Fentanyl patches are among the best long-acting medications, but they come with a different set of responsiblities. If you review the information the FDA website, you find that most of the problems with the patches come from inappropriate prescribing by the physician or improper use by patients.

• Hi,

I've seen that commercial too. From the information I have read Duragesic is the brand name of the patch and Fentynal is the generic. The brand name patches contain a gel that can be extracted and abused. The generic patches are much like a nicotine patch (with no gel), and harder to abuse. However, like with any other opiate, I am sure people have tried to use these inappropriately as well.

I am currently using the Fentynal patch 50 mcg for back pain due to a birth defect (spina bifida). I also have some curvature of the spine as well as a tilted pelvis. It has made for excruciating pain at times and it has only gotten worse over the years. My primary doctor has tried vicoden, then we tried percocet (endocet), but the percocets made me sleepy and I have to be able to function during the day, so I asked him if I could try the patch. It has worked very well, but I have been experiencing breakthrough pain. I called my doctor back and told the nurse about this and asked if I could be prescribed some vicoden. The doctor said no. Now I must tell you this a doctor that is totally against these types of meds, he does not like prescribing them at all. I have been advised by alot of people including my pharmacist that a pain management doctor is who I need to see as my condition will never get any better but the pain does need to be managed. So, tomorrow I go to the PM doctor for my first visit and hopefully he and I can find the right combination of meds with the patch to get my pain under control a little better.

Say a prayer for me that this new doctor can help me. O:)

The patch has been great for me other than the breakthrough pain. so I would recommend it, but that is just my opinion.

Blessings,
    Debi
    a.k.a. debico

• BionicWoman and haglandc were much more on point than I. I just fed into the hysteria that helps feed into the public's misconception about the treatment of chronic pain (or any pain for that matter) with opiates. I'm glad the url is dead and I had no business posting it. Just because I had a horrific time with this medication doesn't mean that it doesn't enable the vast majority of its patients great relief and an avenue to productivity.

Case and point. I was receiving Oxycontin through Purdue Pharmaceutical for FREE due to financial restraints. This is when all hell broke loose with whatever happened and I started receiving "sue em to hell" packages in the mail. Contents that included questionnaires such as; Have you robbed any banks lately? Have you felt like or have you committed any crimes do to the usage of Purdue Pharmaceuticals medications? Why would I sue a company that is helping me through a tough situation?

Education is the most important advise given. No matter what, do not trust your doctor is giving you all the information you need. My Pharmacist figured it out when she seen my sun burn with the "white" patch on my arm. Body core temperature and the engineered time release mechanism of the patch applied to the skin MUST be factored in. Sorry for any fears caused, as you can tell, the pain patch screwed me up due to lack of education.

• Thanks for all the advise. My med regimen right now is not working ever since I went back to work 2 weeks ago. I really love the effectiveness of Oxycontin. I get no side effects at all and it really kills my pain. Is it very extraordinary for a DR to prescribe it 3 times a day. I would rather increase the Oxy then the vicodin.
  • Your coming back and posting as you did also brings attention and awareness..so maybe someone will learn something from this...never know :)

Education is key that is true,and if we are wise we are learning everyday.You actually helped if we look at it that way ;)
advertisement