Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please report problems and concerns here.
Reporting problems
Spine-Health is now up and running on the new system
Simple Tutorial on how to use the new system

Coping, exercise, weight loss

AnonymousUserAnonymousUser Posts: 51,513
edited 06/11/2012 - 1:24 PM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I am new to this forum and wonder if anyone has suggestions? I have had DD and joint disease for 20 yrs, on disability and unable to work. Am not in stage 4 (end-stage DDD) on 3 levels and surgeon suggests the XBox surgery. Anyone have this? Also, how can I lose weight when I am unable to exercise because of pain? I'm not sure what I should/should not be doing as I do all the housework normally. Have taken Tramadol and flexeril (I also have fibromyalgia) off and on and only recently has the doctor suggested I get more relief with oxycodone (I only take 1 a day). Just tired of hurting for so long. I'm only 57 and feel like I'm 100! Thank you in advance.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. we have alot of things in common. I am over 50 as well and have gained 30 pounds from taking Lyrica. :''( there is a weight loss forum here so let me know if you are interested. I battle DDD as you do. I use exercise and stretching to keep myself moving. of course this is always something you should discuss with your doctor. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Yes, I'd like to know about the weight loss forum for sure. What do you take for pain? What exercises do you use?

I have a myspace page - do you? Also, we could email off-line if you'd like. I can't sit at the computer for very long but I need to read more on this website.

K
  • You will find the weight loss thread under diet, nutrition and exercise. We have lots of new folks and would be glad to see you there.
  • My doctors DDD scale goes from 0-3. Im a 2+ throughout my spine. Mid 40's.

A year and a half ago I was around 300lbs and got diagnosed with type II Diabetes. I lost over 80lbs by switching to a low carb diabetes friendly diet. For excersise I walk twice daily and use zcoil shoes to minumize impact on my spine.

Diet/walking worked for me

Nightfall
advertisement