Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Actually got my MRI results today and I want to cry, what does this mean?

ButterflyPainBButterflyPain Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My neuro has a funny way of telling me what needs to be said, and excempting other stuff that may or may not scare me. This time I'm not sure, but I called for a print out of my MRI results, and they didn't even have them, and had to have the place fax it to them. I had this done in July, so could the doctor have known in Sept when I last saw him? I've listed my MRI first then the C-spine Xray...Which one does the doctor go by? One or the other or both?

Anyone have anything similar and can explain what this means? And if even mild or moderate can this stuff somehow still cause moderate chronic pain that I've been experiencing for months?

Anyhow this is what it said:

Findings:
There are no gross abnormalities at the upper three cervical interspaces or the cervical-thorasic junction. Disc desiccation without disc protrusion is noted at T1-2. The second and third thoracic interspaces are normal.

At C5-6, there is mild to moderate disc desiccation with a 2mm central disc protrusion with slight central stenosis.

At C6-7, there is more moderate disc desiccation with a 3mm central disc protrusion with mild central stenosis but no direct spinal cord compression.

There is no evidence of nerve root canal stenosis or nerve root impingement at any cervical level. All of the facet joints are normal. The cervical cord is normal. There is no fracture or dislocation. There are no intradural or paraspinous masses.

My Cervical X-ray said:
Findings
AP, both obliques, open mouth, and lateral views of the cervical spine revealed very minimal hypertrophic uncovertebral joints at C5-6. On oblique view there is a suggestion of minimal osteophyte formation and foraminal impingement at C5-C6, especially on the left side. No fracture is seen.
advertisement

Comments

• I wish I had your MRI and Xray results. They are really not that bad - BUT, you are certainly showing signs of the beginning of some arthritis with minimal stenosis from osteophytes (bone spurs). The good news - there is no spinal cord impression or impingement. Certainly have a good talk with your Dr. and see what he suggests for your pain. GOOD LUCK to you and keep us posted on your treatment.
  • cindylouwho said:
    I wish I had your MRI and Xray results. They are really not that bad - BUT, you are certainly showing signs of the beginning of some arthritis with minimal stenosis from osteophytes (bone spurs). The good news - there is no spinal cord impression or impingement. Certainly have a good talk with your Dr. and see what he suggests for your pain. GOOD LUCK to you and keep us posted on your treatment.
    Thanks for the response.
    Yeah, I know it isn't "Bad" "Bad" but it is still painful and depressing.

Do you know what disc protrusion means?
  • I know the pain can be far worse than what the MRI actually shows - believe me ;) It's too bad there are so many doctors out there that only read the film and say "that's not bad' why do you have so much pain?" It's VERY frustrating - been there, done that. Here's what I found on what protrusion means:

There are four classifications of disk pathology:

A protrusion may occur where a disk bulges without rupturing the annulus fibrosis.
    The disk may prolapse where the nucleus pulposus migrates to the outermost fibers of the annulus fibrosis.
    There may be a disk extrusion, which is the case if the annulus fibrosis perforates and material of the nucleus moves into the epidural space.
    The sequestrated disk may occur as fragments from the annulus fibrosis and nucleus pulposus are outside the disk proper.
  • Well I did write you a whole post but it is gone in cyber land somewhere.

First relax. Of course none of here are qualified or able to read your MRI report for you. We can only give out personal advice not medical.

Your symptoms are simliar to mine that I had. Horrible headaches/tingling/numbness.

I had the surgery. I am not sure of the size of my herniation I do know it was all the way out. ACDF 1 level (anterior cervcial disk fusion) with my own bone graft.

Do to my job this was the best thing that I ever did.
    As soon as awoke my pain was gone.
    ONly post op pain to deal with. And pain from the bone graft for a few weeks.
    Am I happy I had this?? YES YES YES. I full movement of my neck. People do not even know I had it done and well sometimes I forget to. The dr did such a excellent job at surgery and the scar. I was in a soft collar for 4 weeks. Then started Pt and was able to drive. Work was 4 months due to lifting more then 50 lbs.

Discuss all of this with your surgeon. Some want to try treatments and surgery as a last resort.

If your not to keen on your first surgeons opinion seek 2 opinions if able due to money/insurance issues.
    As you then will find out if they both say the same thing or have something totally different to say.

We are here to support you in anyway that we can through this whole process.

Don't get yourself all worked up. It will get the best of ya if you let it.

So after talking to the drs weigh all the pros and cons and go from there hun.

Take care
    Terri ;) >:D<
  • I was in a car accident. I had an MRI and got the results. I would like to understand what this all means:

There is mild to moderate spinal canal stenosis at the C6/7 level. The spinal canal measures approximately 8 mm maximal dimension. This is due to a 2 mm disc protrussion, ligamentous thidkening and posterior bony ridging. The spinal cord is contacted and partially deformed. The spinal cord itself displays normal signal intensity. There is also evidence for a posterior annular tear with high intensity zone at this segment. This could result in discogenic pain. There is moderate compromise of the ueural foramina due to bony hypertrophic changes. This could result in bilateral C7 symptoms.

Moderate compromise of the neural foramina left greater than right at the C3/4, C4/5 and C5/6 levels. Primarily due to moderate to moderately advanced facet hypertrophic changes. This could result in C4, C5, as well as C6 symptoms, primarily on the left. The spinal canal remains slightly in excess of a centimeter at these segments.

There is straightening of the cervical spine.

Can you explain what all this means?

Thank you!
  • Welcome to spine-health. Have you been back to your doctor to discuss these results? It sounds like you have some definate problems. But keep in mind that with spine treatment less is better. The doctors will treat you based on your symptoms primarily. They will also look for instability or something that might cause future problems if left untreated. Otherwise the rule is if it don't hurt leave it alone.
  • Hi Jen,

Well, I am glad to have read that you finally were able to get your MRI! I remember what a struggle you have been through with getting help. I can't say that I understand the MRI results in medical terms, but I am glad that you are finally getting some answers. I hope that this MRI will start a process that will help find you some more relief from your pain. I agree that you need to get at least three surgical opinions. You might fall into the category that I did where you are not a surgical candidate, but I don't know. I just want to wish you all the BEST !!!! I must say that warm, pool therapy for physical therapy has been the best therapy ever for me. I don't know if the doctor will recommend it in your case, but it is a good question to ask.
    - Thinking of you-
    hugs,
    glo :)
advertisement