Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie to the Group, Greetings!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi!

I am a newbie. I am currently recovering after having an emergency L4-5 diskectomy on 9/2/08. I have suffered the past 10 years with the herniated and degenerative disks in my L4-L5/S1 region. I woke up Friday before Labor Day with horrid pain in my back and numbness in my legs, it scared me and I went to my primary doc as my Chiro was out of town on vacation. Knowing my history, she did not send me to the ER then, she made me wait out the weekend in pain with Tyelnol 3 with codeine only. I returned to her on Tuesday after Labor Day and could barely walk or stand and was in horrible horrible pain and lost complete feeling in my left leg. I was sent to the ER and had "emergency" that Thursday. I am scared as my pain has not subsided in my left leg and neither has the numbness and I am not sleeping very well - maybe 3 or 4 hours most nights ... I have returned to the surgeon once and said I am progressing well and to return to "normal" activities as I feel better - which I have, little by little. SInce I am not sleeping and still have numbness all over the left leg and left foot, I have another follow up appointment on the 17th before I am scheduled to return to work again. I came here to seek *guidance* and *knowledge* from those that have been through this also.

Thank you for listening :) :H
advertisement

Comments

• I am fairly new too. You will find lots and lots of people here dealing with very similar issues. It seems we all deal with pain--sorry you have to deal with it too. About your ongoing pain...I am not a doc, they are the best resource, of course. My physical therapist told me just the other day that even after the problematic issue is taken care of, people often still have pain. His explanation was that the injured nerves are so used to firing and firing and firing that they continue to do so, even when the pressure is off of them. But, he said, over time, they tend to improve, at least a little. Everyone is individual and it totally depends on your own unique situation and injury, but from what I hear, there is a ray of hope in time. Are you going to do any physical therapy to get you back on your feet? Has the doctor offered you any meds to help you to sleep? I know for me, if I don't get enough sleep, it sets me up for a bad pain day. (I have cervical neck pain). Hang in there sistah! Let me know how things go. Again, welcome!
  • Thank you for the warm welcome! Upon my release from the hospital, the surgeon said he did not want me to do anything other than to relax, no lifting, not bending unneccesarily etc. When I went to see him 2 weeks ago, he said he did not feel P/T was useful for me. I have contacted a Swim facility who deals with rehabilitation and will have to pay out of pocket to go and that will be a little difficult on my salary after having been out of work for 6 weeks now without pay...but I need to get my strength back and I need to loose weight for *many* reasons. I see the surgeon next Friday again and we'll see what he has to say then. I have been taking medication but they are not doing a thing....not even making me sleepy or without pain. :S
  • First let me say welcome to S~H :H

You know I don't think it's right that you should have to pay out of pocket for PT.There are so many people that don't even want to go(me included to be honest).I just think that if you feel it could help you that your doc could(IMO-should)write you a script for the PT.I mean,seriously,could PT hurt you?

It sounds to me like you are really trying to be proactive,and it won't cost him to write you a script for PT~or any other conservative measures that could pertain to your well being and progression of healing.Unless it could harm you,or maybe you're not ready for the PT.I know some people have had to wait months before they could start...and by no means am I in a position to give medical advice.

I read your post and was a little irritated right away because you so obviously want to help yourself~then I scrolled back and checked the dates & it does seem a little soon for PT..but as I said,I can't give medical advice :S
    If I were you(lol)I would try talking to your Dr again and asking WHEN you CAN start the PT..you know,tell him that you feel it may benefit you..(if you do of course)and go from there.Maybe he will take another attitude?

OUCH gave you a great reply and I thought that was an outstanding post.I too have the cervicle.Don't like it,but I have nothing to compare it to,so I'll take it I guess.What choice do we have huh :??
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry to hear your surgery was not completely successful. Have you tried any nerve pain medications for the pain in your leg? i am not sure if it is sciatica or not. perhaps you should talk to your doctor about this. there is a "Sleeping Problems" forum you can come by and visit. there is usually someone up there during the night. Robin comes by sometime! good luck to you and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • I just wanted to say a quick Thank you! Thus far everyone has been SUPER positive and supportive and that is FANTASTIC. I realize I am only a month after my surgery, maybe I am expecting too much too soon. The surgeon said the PT was not "necessary" as it was a waste of time and I could do the "exercises" at home, I haven't talked to him yet about the swimming p/t - so maybe he will be more receptive to that. Thank you again for the great warm welcome!! :H

B-
  • I had a radical endoscopic microD last december and I could not even lift my right leg for 3 months. It will take some time to heal especially as long as you went with the nerve compressed. My doc like yours is not a fan of PT and sees very little use in it for this type of surgery. Try and be patient, follow docs orders and maybe as Jenny stated you will need a nerve pain med for awhile. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • Your AVATAR is EATING your words...... =))
  • What can I say, I like to make people laugh - lol, I posted my Avatar and I didn't look to see what it looked like. I think I will be rearranging somethings <:P
  • Thank you your input on my "anxiousness", I am pretty "impatient" generally so this recovery period has been a bit difficult for me :< I am worried about so many aspects of my recovery, I normally research and analyze all of my options so this surgery threw a monkey wrench into that, so I am just wanting to get better really fast and my body is not doing it as fast as I want it - lol.

Thank you again for listening!! I appreciate the insight ;)

• Just want to say hello and welcome to Spine health. We are here to help you as much as we can. We can only give you advice on our own personal experiences, as we are not medically trained. We are your exteneded family, if you want to vent out anything, do so, as we understand what you are going through and also understand your pain. Check out our chat room here you will find us very friendly.

Angie
  • I think most people have negative feelings toward physical therapy, and in most cases rightly so. Physical therapists can't feel what we feel, nor can they predict the future i.e. they don't know what is going to happen once you leave them after doing all of the exercises they give. One thing I will say about physical therapy, though, is that you can make it as simple or complex as you want (always checking with the MD first). In my view physical therapy is good for endorphin release, circulation, strengthening, maintaining strength and flexibility, etc. Certainly, there are things we can't do. But perhaps we can focus on what we CAN do. For example, push ups and squats are out of the question! But, what about just circling the wrists, flexing and pointing and circling of the ankles. What about gentle movements of the wrist, forearm. How about getting in a pool with simple movements. (I am trying to get off my own butt and do these things as I type here...ug @) So, in other words, all is not lost if we can't get on the treadmill and do a mile! We can start very, very gentle and small. The key is to listen to your doc and to your own body, especially. Good luck and hang in there!
  • welcome to spine-health
advertisement