Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ultram or Tramadol Is my savior

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
I would just like to say that With my conditions being terrible (Description in signature) My relief has finally been found. I have tried almost every opiate under the sun only to find I was tolerant to it within a month and it was no longer effective. This lead to addiction so on so forth.
But finally my doctor decided to try ultram (the 50Mg tablets) take 8 a day and it is very effective and I am functional on the drug its been a month now and i have not noticed a tolerance its working great.
Thanks for all your support through my hard times folks.
advertisement

Comments

• that you have finally found relief. I am pretty sure that the Tramadol does have acetaminophen in it so it might be a good idea to have your liver function tested every few months. Good luck to you.
  • Ultracet has acetaminphen but regular Tramadol or Ultram does not.....
  • pgcrswll said:
    I would just like to say that With my conditions being terrible (Description in signature) My relief has finally been found. I have tried almost every opiate under the sun only to find I was tolerant to it within a month and it was no longer effective. This lead to addiction so on so forth.
    But finally my doctor decided to try ultram (the 50Mg tablets) take 8 a day and it is very effective and I am functional on the drug its been a month now and i have not noticed a tolerance its working great.
    Thanks for all your support through my hard times folks.

That's great news. Glad to hear that you are getting some relief!

"C"
  • I have been taking ultram for over 10 years.
    It is a good med for me and that is why I'm still taking it.
    I also have been on Lunesta for over year now
    Just recently i started the klonopin and find it is so helpful with the muscle pain.
    And recently started neurontin- increasing my dose slowly until I find a good amount for me.
    Now back to the ultram, their is no acetaminophen in the ultram or tramadol I used to take 400 mg a day divided into 4 times a day,I only take 200mg these days because I found it helps with the pain and gave me a little burst of energy and energy is not what I not need after 12 o'clock noon because it will keep me up all night long even with the lunesta and klonopin.

most people get a little sleepy with ultram but it has the opposite effect on me, same with the neurontin it DOES NOT make me sleepy whats so ever.
    the ultram helps with my upper back pain and the neurontin helps with my pain I have in legs and right arm. the klonopin helps alot with my back,neck and headaches. I take klonopin one hour before my lunesta on a Empty Tummy otherwise they do nothing for me.
    Back to the ultram... this is a wonderful med for me and I believe i get a two for one out of ultram because it does help a little with pain and puts me in a good mood sort of like a antidepressant would. I know we have to be careful taking ultram specially at max dose of 400mg a day and taking some antidepressants, because they both raise serotonin in the brain and to much is not a good thing, I also have my flexy that i take as needed

what it all boils done to for me is I have finally found a good pain regiment like I think you have found pgcrswll
    over the years the ultram has lost a bit of the effect for the pain, but all I have to do is cut back just a couple a pills for a few days and I'm good to go again
    there was different times in my life that I have been on many kinds of narcotic meds and I have never been as happy and satisfied as I am now without them.
    I'm so very happy for you pgcrswll and I'm glad ultram is helping you!!!

Is there anyone out there that also gets a burst of energy from a med that would usually cause sleepiness?
  • That is great news!! I am on Tridural (Canadian version of Ultram Er), and it has helped me a lot With pain releif.

Ladybug, I also have lots of energy from this. I take 1 200 every 24 hours. I have to take sleeping pills or else i am up forever. I am not sure about the antidepressant factor, I am having a really hard time since before I started the mdication and it hasn't gotten any better.
  • Also with my regimen being well I am participating finally in physical therapy and I think if I work hard enough i can go back to mixed martial arts. One can dream cant he

? Thanks again for your support everyone :)))
  • Also it boost my energy quite a bit I don't know if its because im not in debilitating pain or the med itself has a stim effect on my body. Its funny the klonipin is the same way it smooths me out but in order for it to actually PUT me to sleep it would take 15-20 mgs of it

also weird coincidence we both take klonipin neurontin and tramadol. To me this is an excellent cocktail
  • just be careful of serotonin syndrome since you are taking a ssri(prozac) and a max dose of tramadol daily.Better to be safe, I am glad you found relief.

Seizure Risk(taken from rxlist)

Seizures have been reported in patients receiving tramadol within the recommended dosage range. Spontaneous post-marketing reports indicate that seizure risk is increased with doses of tramadol above the recommended range. Concomitant use of tramadol increases the seizure risk in patients taking:

* Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRI antidepressants or anorectics),
    * Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), and other tricyclic compounds (e.g., cyclobenzaprine, promethazine, etc.), or
    * Other opioids.

Administration of tramadol may enhance the seizure risk in patients taking:

* MAO inhibitors (see also WARNINGS - Use with MAO Inhibitors),
    * Neuroleptics, or
    * Other drugs that reduce the seizure threshold.

Risk of convulsions may also increase in patients with epilepsy, those with a history of seizures, or in patients with a recognized risk for seizure (such as head trauma, metabolic disorders, alcohol and drug withdrawal, CNS infections). In tramadol overdose, naloxone administration may increase the risk of seizure.
  • frustrated 101, I agree with you 100 percent I have read and understand this syndrome. Your post is correct from head to toe.
    I have found that many doctors out there still will prescribe SSRI's to people on ultram.

This is why I call ultram a two for one med I get pain relief and it helps better my mood,
    Today I was reading a bit on 5htp, its sounds interesting and Im thinking about asking my doctor about it.

Has anyone out there every tried this 5HTP? Or have any information on it?

• May I ask why you choose the ultram ER instead of tramadol or ultram 50mg?
    How long have you been taking the ultramER?
    I have found that IF I take my last dose of ultram early in afternoon it helps with the no sleeping part...but I will be the first to say that when it comes to bed time I have terrible problems but not near as bad as if I take ultram later in the day.
    I also take lower dose of klonopin and neurontin during day (which gives me a little boost) but at night I take higher dose of neurontin and klonopin and the higher dose does make me more relaxed and able to get a little sleepy, some nights even this is not gonna give me sleep so that's when I take my lunesta.
    It has taken me some time to figure out the right doses and when to take them but I have found this works for me.
    one more thing then I will quit. but if I take my sleeping pill on a empty tummy it.works tons better. Patsy

• Right now I only take the four meds- ultram, neurontin,klonopin and lunesta.
    This is just a suggestion but do read up on serotonin syndrome. because you don't want to raise you serotonin to high, I'm not to familiar with your other meds.but it might be a good thing to check out.just a suggestion

(Ultram friends, Patsy)

• I tried 5htp and for me it didn't do much, from what I recall its like a natural ssri.Nowadays due to frequent manic episodes on ssri's I avoid them.Before the mediction train arrived,I tried the all natural way with 5htp, melatonin, omega 3/6 supplements along with bio feedback.Overall, I just felt the "same"(after a year). I have an open mind, but to me it was worth a shot and it didn't approach the level of mental stability I needed especially at the time.I ended up on SSDI anyways.Its really a case of YMMV.

+++Make sure your doctor knows about it before taking and possibly an interaction w/ ssri's and ultram as well+++

• Hi Ladybug,

i wasn't given any choice about the meds I take I am just happy that it gives some relief (I am in Canada so I can't change Dr's I see my GP). I have been taking the tramadol ER for two months.

• I take 40 mgs of prozac and 6 10 mg flexeril every day both are said to interact ? What are warning signs if these interract negatively with my max dose of tramadol. All my meds are in signature

• I am not a doctor, so I just copied/paste what to look for.BEST ADVICE talk to your doctor and go from there.

Causes: (info taken from medline.com)

Serotonin syndrome most often occurs when two drugs that affect the body's level of serotonin are taken together at the same time. The drugs cause too much serotonin to be released or to remain in the brain area.

For example, you can develop this syndrome if you take migraine medicines called triptans together with antidepressants called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and selective serotonin/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs). Popular SSRI's include Celexa, Zoloft, Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, and Lexapro. SNRI's include Cymbalta, and Effexor. Brand names of triptans include Imitrex, Zomig, Frova, Maxalt, Axert, Amerge, and Relpax.

The diagnosis is usually made by asking questions about your medical history, including the types of drugs you take.

To be diagnosed with serotonin syndrome, you must have been taking a drug that changes the body's serotonin levels (serotonergic drug) and have at least three of the following signs or symptoms:

* Agitation
    * Uncoordinated movements (ataxia)
    * Heavy sweating not due to activity (diaphoresis)
    * Diarrhea
    * Overactive reflexes (hyperreflexia)
    * Fever
    * Mental status changes such as confusion or hypomania
    * Muscle spasms (myoclonus)
    * Shivering
    * Tremor

If you have just start taking or increased the dosage of a tranquilizer (neuroleptic drug), other conditions (such as neuroleptic malignant syndrome) will be considered. Serotonin syndrome is not diagnosed until all other possible causes have been ruled out, including infections, intoxications, metabolism problems, and drug withdrawal. Some symptoms of serotonin syndrome can mimic those due to an overdose of cocaine, lithium, or an MAOI.

Tests may include:

* CBC
    * Thyroid function tests
    * Drug screen
    * Electrocardiogram (ECG)

Treatment Return to top

Patients with serotonin syndrome should stay in the hospital for at least 24 hours for close observation.

The FDA recently asked the manufacturers of these types of drugs to include warning labels on their products that tell you about the potential risk of serotonin syndrome. Talk to your doctor before stopping any medication.

Serotonin syndrome is more likely to occur when you first start or increase the medicine.

Older antidepressants called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) can also cause serotonin syndrome with the medicines describe above, as well as meperidine (a painkiller) or dextromethorphan (cough medicine).

Drugs of abuse, such as ecstasy and LSD (“acid”), have also been associated with serotonin syndrome.

Symptoms:

Symptoms occur within minutes to hours, and may include:

* Restlessness
    * Hallucinations
    * Loss of coordination
    * Fast heart beat
    * Rapid changes in blood pressure
    * Increased body temperature
    * Overactive reflexes
    * Nausea
    * Vomiting
    * Diarrhea

Treatment may include:

* Withdrawal of medicines that caused the syndrome
    * Fluids by IV
    * Cyproheptadine (Periactin), a drug that blocks serotonin production
    * Benzodiazepines (muscle relaxants), such as Valium or Ativan, will be used to decrease agitation, seizure-like movements, and muscle stiffness

In life-threatening cases, medicines that keep your muscles still (paralyze them) and a temporary breathing tube and breathing machine will be needed to prevent further muscle damage.

Outlook (Prognosis) Return to top

Patients may get slowly worse and can become severely ill if not quickly treated. Untreated serotonin syndrome can be deadly. However, with treatment, symptoms can usually go away in less than 24 hours.

Possible Complications Return to top
    Uncontrolled muscle spasms can cause severe muscle breakdown. The products produced when the muscles break down will build up in your blood and eventually go through the kidneys. This can cause severe kidney damage if not recognized and treated appropriately.

When to Contact a Medical Professional Return to top
    Call your health care provider right away if you have symptoms of serotonin syndrome.

Prevention
  • First 101- everything you say is what I know and what is in my brain but I cant type it out(very frustrating for me)... but thank goodness you can you can !!! I cant seem to do that no more..(maybe my cognitive issues)I'm not sure what you do or what you did for a living. But you know your stuff!!!

pgc, if I could tell you anything it would be exactly what 101 says
    I'm not familiar with Prozac to much. but I do have script for flexy 10 mg PRN My doc knows I do not take these very often at all, its been at least 5 or 6 months, but if I did take one it would probably be to boost one of my other meds a little. few years ago my script of flexy was 3 10 mg at bed (for sleep)and this was while I was on ultram but I never took them at same time. anyway flexy did not help with sleep anyway-did the opposite kept me up.
    You take 6 flexies a day? thats alot in my book and taking them with ultram may cause sum problems down the line(just my opinion) and I'm not sure and don't no much about Prozac, make sure you r getting all your meds from one doc or at least they all now what each are giving you.... like I mention one time before so so so many doctors are giving out ultram scripts to people already on high serotonin meds (ssri's)I know this I have worked with doctors side by side just few years ago, and seen it with my own eyes and I think it is still going on. I really don't think doctors fully understand or are not keeping up on the new finding of what ultram really is all about. well that's all Patsy
advertisement