Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having Thoracotomy 10/16 any post-Thoracotomy out here?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I am scheduled for a thoracotomy on 10/16 for a T7-T8 disc herniation. According to the surgeon I have an extremely large disc that is causing spinal chord distortion and stenosis and more recently spinal chord swelling. My symptoms are progressively getting worse and I realize I am within my window of opportunity.

I am anxious about what to expect post operatively. I have had multiple abdominal surgeries in the past, but I am concerned because they have stated that there is a possibility that the neurological symptoms could get worse before they are better.

Can anyone out post Thoracotomy give me a sense of your experience during your recovery phase.

Thanks,
Donna
advertisement

Comments

• HI Donna and welcome.
    You will find very few that have had this surgery.
    Here is a link to some info that someone posted in the thoracic fourm

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/upper-back-pain-thoracic/thoracic-surgery

If you scroll towards the bottom you will see different types of procedures.

I want to wish you the very best of luck in this surgery. I have a severe thecal sac compression T1 and mild cord compression so I feel your pain..

Hang in there.
    Please let us know how you make out when your able. O:) >:D<
  • Thank you so much for the link, it was very informative. It scary to know that it is not a common procedure and that the risks are very real. I have a team of 3 surgeons that will be performing the operation, so I have faith in the team, I am just worried about what happens once the surgery is done.

Thanks for your support, and I am sure I will be out here alot once I get home from the hospital
  • Hi Crazy5,
    Welcome, Sometimes its so hard to get an answer because we go through a procedure that is not done as often. Is this procedure going through the chest?

I did want to offer my support.

Everyone is so different with the healing process. Please be good to yourself and just plan to rest as much as you can. Ask your doctors what type of limitations he will prescribe for healing.

Take care and I'll be thinking of you.
    O-
  • Hi donna,
    I am also going to have this surgery around the same time hopefully. I was in an accident june 6 and my disk came out of the space at t7/t8 and traveled up my spinal cord and is putting pressure around t6 area. the doctor has been treating me with conservative measures but the pain is not getting better,and i keep going up on pain meds. the last few days my lower leg has been hurting like i really injured it, but the pain iscomingfrom my spinalcord. the strange partis that when my leg hurts my intestines work,which theyhaven't done sine june. this is great because it shows my intestines can work! what are your symptoms. how did youinjure yourself? where are you having surgery?
    i willbethinking about you
    carrie ann
  • I'm 1 year post-thoracotomy, so if there is anything specific you need to know for the road ahead, feel free to ask (PM is fine). Sorry I didn't see this post pre-surgery.

Good luck!
advertisement