Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Too many to name-----

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
:?? Hello All, my name is Lori Stead and I am new to this group. I dont know exactly how I found this group, browsing I guess however, I am surely glad I did. Finally to have people who totally understand what I am feeling mentally as well as physically!!! I have been ill since I was 15, first diagnosed with scoliosis, had harrington rod implanted 1977. Had to follow up back then it was required from my doctor for 5 years. I got married and had two health children with alot of back pain during labor. Thats when my problems re-started. Had contacted Hep B from blood exposure from birth of my second child, was hospitalized for one week. Had tonsils removed, then gallbladder after a long period of painful attacks. Finally around 1995 started feeling pretty good. 1999 my spine started to hurt again, like most of you, i waited and waited until I couldnt stand the pain any longer, off to a surgeon. 2002 he did a discectomy and fusion L4-5 S1 had root nerve damage, lost my reflexes in my heel totally and never seemed to get rid of that nagging pain but the disc pain was gone. So I moved on--living on Relafen and Pain patches....had stomach problems had to take care of that in 2004 and then in 2006 I had so much anxiety and depression from all the pain, I had a mini-stroke, yes at 43yrs old!!! Had to quit my job and take care of me for a change. Had rotator cuff surgery to repair a torn off ligament etc and then double plantar fasiitis surgery which due to my AK, took much longer to heal. Needless to say, I also have sleep insomnia, apnea and asthma, restless leg and high blood pressure, vitamin D defiency and folic acid low also. I feel like such a pill popper its terrible. I hate to take all these meds and use a cpap at night - wear a TENS unit most everyday and now I am only 46. I am on my third appeal of SSD and a third attorney. If all this doesnt depress a person, geez...plus still trying to have a normal sex life and run a household which is near impossible now. Thank god I have a very understanding husband.
How do you all handle your situations? I have been told my mind is still intact (most days haha) and there must be some sort of job I can do??? they SSD dont care!!! I have tried exercise, it unfortunately increases my pain levels even with extended therapy, I feel like I have tried it all. My rheumatologist just recently told me, he is running out of options for me since I had reactions to all TNF's. Methotrexate helps some but not in my spine, so we are just trying to up the dosage again but I have to watch my liver functions which are already elevated. Does anyone know if there are support groups around for AK, RA???
Thanks for reading, and for this group, I sure hope it helps.
advertisement

Comments

• Well welcome to spine health. There is a ton of information on here as you probably have already found. We can give you all our personal experiences but no medical diagnosis.

First wow your life sounds like mine!!! So your not alone.
    I do not have scolosis and of course my issues did not start till I was 30 but it was one thing after another...
    Also sounds like your hubby is like mine also. Hanging in there and making the best of it you both can ;) ;)
    May I ask what you mean by KA???
    RA are you referring to rheumotiod arthritis??? We have a fourm for arthritis if that is what you are referring to.

There are tons of fourms on here. You can go to each one if you have a specific concern about something that is bothering you.
    Up on top of the page you will see like a guidence tool
    Treatments , Conditions etc.

I am very happy you have joined us and we will support you in anyway possible through your daily living!!

If you need any help at all do not hesitate to ask any of us for help.

Terri >:D< >:D< O:)
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. Terri gave you some really good advice about getting around the forum. we are here to listen and help you however we can. good luck in your pain treatment! Jenny :)
  • u have been through alot and i hope u find a solution to manage your pain and problems. i have a tens unit also but for me i cant use it all the time - just me i guess. it must be terrible to have 3 ssd denials with 3 different attorneys. my wife had denials and then decided to get an attorney, and a lady at ss told her what she needed was a doctor to support her. she got a new doc that was really caring and a attorney and was finally sucessful with ss. the previous doc was a great doc but felt everybody could work. i will also say a prayer for u. good luck
  • I agree with 24. A doc that is supportive of your case will be the key to winning your disability. lots of times docs will tell you that they are supporting you but they really are not. It sounds as though you have suffered alot. Have you tried any of the opiates for pain relief? They work great for lots of people and do not cause the liver damage like the fast acting pain meds. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
advertisement