Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

flare up

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have doing really well with my low back in the last 3 months. One of the physicians I work for gave me Facet injections and it worked really well.

In the last 3 months though my hip has went downhill. I have had 4 hip operations in the past 2 on each. When all of this started I asked the NS that did my back surgery about my hip. He ordered another MRI and it showed a disc herniation at 3/4 right 4/5 scar tissue and stenosis, 5/1 disc bulge and some facet arthritis. It also showed that I have moderate DDD at all of these levels. It definately not the worst back but it keeps me from doing things that I would normally do. The NS said that my hip pain was probably back related. I knew that wasn't the case though. Finally I called my PCP and he ordered a hip x-ray. My hip x-ray showed avascular necrosis, osteoartritis, lose of cartilage, and osteopyte formation (from previous surgeries). I knew it. I knew it was my hip. I saw my orthopaedic dr that did all of the my hip surgeries in the past 15 yrs and he said I need hip resurfacing. He said I am to young (26) for a total hip replacement but thats what I need. He can't do the hip resurfacing so he sent me to another surgeon that can do this. I saw him the other day and he wants to do the surgery but because of old pin placement in my hip he wants to do a MRI to see if the bone is fully healed and can hold another pin without causing instability. So yet another wait until my MRI gets done on Wed and then I see him to schedule surgery on the 29th of this month. He told me that it would probably take 2 months to get it scheduled and get the ball rolling.

To make a long story short in all of this waiting with my hips, limping on my right hip is really flaring up my back. I am on pain meds twice daily, NSAIDS,lidoderm and muscle relaxors. I don't know what to do. Do I ask for more facets or just deal with it.
advertisement

Comments

• If the shots helped your back pain and you feel some of the pain might be from the back, go for it. If not, I might not do the facets because the shots hurt/degenerate as well as help so I'd save them for a time when I really needed them. Only you can know for sure! Have you tried trigger point injections for the hip? If you can't take the pain, maybe see if the surgeon doing the resurfacing will provide pain meds to hold you until the surgery, or maybe even your GP. I'm glad to hear the shots helped you, I wish I was lucky in that respect =(( . I'm so sorry your pain has increased. I'm a great listener/reader if you wish to unload or just chat. I'm 21 and have a herniated disc that has gotten to the point that I've lost nearly every part of my life. No more Ms. Social Butterfly :))( =)) 8} I can understand dealing with long-term pain as well, I've been in the game for 6 years now. So not only can I relate (a little compared to what you have to deal with!) but I'm also very caring and understanding. I'll be here for you... >:D<

-Lisa
  • Hey thanks for listening.

Here is my story:

I was in your shoes I have had mutiple herniated disc that totally changed my life. My life was miserable until I decided to do a microdiscectomy. My first micro did absolutely wonderful. I felt great about 2 weeks post op I felt that I could do anything. My 2nd and 3rd did well, just not as well as my first one. I wouldn't have had the 3rd but I didn't obey drs orders. Mommy instinct came first my son fell 5 days after surgery and before I thought I grabbed him right up. I knew right then I messed up the numbness and tingling was back and after I felt good. I was so upset with myself. I reherniated the same disc but it was more on the center that time. The pain was so bad. The burning was so horrible I couldn't stand to put shoes on my feet or for my pant legs to touch my leg. I tried mutiple epidurals and stuff with all of my herniations but they didn't help me at all. It sucks, because I know how well they can help some ppl and they don't have to go through surgery. I work as a nurse in a pain clinic, so we do these all day long. After the 3rd surgery the burning in my leg was gone but I developed pain in both of my legs and in my low back. Because of all of the herniations, I developed quite moderate to severe degenerative disc disease in 2 levels and mild in the last level. There was nothing else I could do. I wanted so bad to be back to myself and nothing would help. To beat it all my NS just up and dropped me and said I had chronic pain now. I had no pain meds and yet I hurted so bad. He couldn't send me to the pain clinic because I work there. I didn't know what to do. I finally found a PCP that new about the pain clinic and worked well with us. He told me he was willing to help me in everyway that he can to keep me out of a 3 level fusion. That's what my NS surgeon said was my only option. Funny thing is then he says well you are too young for a fusion, you just need to be only a substained release medicine (narcotics) to manage your pain for the next 10 years and then come back and we will fuse you. UHHHHH. NO WAY. I lost everybit of my trust for him. I had to see him one more time post-op and he acted like he didn't say anything. He asked me if I needed meds and I told him that he said I was chronic pain and he couldn't help me so I found me someone who could. He asked me the name of my PCP and I told him. He wrote a very nice letter (I am nosey and obtained a copy from my records)to my PCP about what was going on with me and that he suggested that he continue to write my pain meds and if I needed anything I could call his office back. Well after all of this I was still having pain horrible in my low back and legs and my right hip started hurting (which the NS said it was probably back related and to not worry about it). I asked one of the drs that I work for to do a x-ray of my hip. He x-rayed my hip and he also wanted to x-ray my back. He looked at my facet joints in my back and told me that is why my back hurted so bad. He really didn't say much about my hip at that time. He told my I needed facet injections and he was willing to do them for me. He did facets (they hurt so much more than epidurals) 3 levels on both sides total of 6 injections. The first 3 days no relief but after that 3rd day, my back started feeling so much better. I wish I could say the same for my hip. It just kept getting worse the more I walked on it the harder is was deal with. Days went by, I started limping. The dr that did the facets asked me if it calmed any of the hip problem down. I told him no, he said he was afraid of this. He said my hip didn't look good at all and I needed hip resurfacing.

A month later, I broke down and called my orthopaedic that has did all of my hip operations in the past. He looked at my x-ray and he said he knew exactly why I was hurting. He said my hip didn't look good at all. He first comment was that I needed hip resurfacing. 2 drs said that now. HUM. My ortho told me that he was not trained to do that. It is fairly new here and he has not got his certification. He told me to find him someone that did it and he would write up all of the papers and send me there. So I saw the new ortho dr. He was great. Soooo very very nice and concerned. That made me feel good I was really concerned about seeing someone else for this problem when I have total trust in the ortho that has operated on me for the past 15 yrs. I have to go and do a MRI because of old pin placement to see if it is healed enough to do this surgery because more pins have to be put in. If not then we will do total hip replacement.

I am scared to ask for more injections because all of the steriods can cause more issues with the hip. High doses over a short period can cause avascular necrosis of the hip and I have already got that. I have had 3 epidurals, 1 set of facets, a hip injection, and mutiple steriods by mouth already this year. I just don't want to do anything that can potential harm me more. I am just hoping once the hip surgery is done then the back pain will decrease. The limping (I'm sure of) doesn't help.

If you want someone to talk to my e-mail address is
    train-nut@hotmail.com
    My husband works out of town and it is just me and my little man here. I always can use a friend. Nobody understands if they havene't been there.
  • is indeed coming from your facet joints (which if the facet injections helped than I would say it is) why not ask for a rhizotomy (nerve burn)? That will last alot longer and probably get you through until surgery without putting more steroids in your body. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • My issue is that I work for the dr that is doing this for me. To inject steriods doesn't cost us really anymore money because of waste from open containers that need to thrown away but doing the burning (we call it a radiofrequency) the probes can cost up to $1200 and it takes about 1 hr. They are not going to take 1 hr out of there busy schedule to do this for me. I though about asking if we can use my insurance istead of doing it without a charge. I just can't expect them to do this for me. I am an employee and not a pt. I wish I could look at it differently but I can't. It sucks sometimes to work for them when they are the only pain clinic for miles. I need help and really don't have anyone to go to. I really don't want them to think that I am just working there to get free services. They probably won't because I have been there from 3.5 yrs but I guess I just worry to much.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.