Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another Newbie

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello. Another newbie here. I have been looking at this site for at least two weeks and have really enjoyed reading the posts and great information it provides. Although I am new to the site I am not new to pain. I am comforted to hear everyone talk about their struggles and how they deal with them as I try and remember I am not alone. But it saddens me to hear so many suffer....

I had a 3 level ACDF in May 07. I have an appt Monday with my neurosurgeon for a report on my latest MRI. (cervical and thoracic) I have had an increase in pain, numbness and tingling bilaterally for about 3 months. I try and take it one day at a time just like you guys. It's been a battle to say the least.

Well..thanks for listening. And thanks for this site!! Ha! I wanted to post my story but good gosh it would take all day to read.
advertisement

Comments

• :) Hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are having increased pain. :''( the search for relief can be an endless battle. i am sure you will have some informative test results soon and start on a pain reduction program. you don't say what type of treatments you are having and any meds you are taking right now. i want to know all about your pain problems. i am so glad you decided to join us. <:P i know you will make new and understanding friends here. visit the different sites and make your self at home. let me be the first to wish you good luck on your pain journey! Jenny :)
  • My pain...let's see, where to begin. It began back in 1995 with onset of migraines. I was 32, I am now 45. I was on every migraine med there was with not much relief. Trips to the ER and narcotic injections would be my only relief for many years. CT of head showed nothing wrong. I also had pain in my shoulders and neck but always thought that I carried my stress there. Anyway, over the years the neck and shoulder pain has increasingly worsened. I would beg my husband and children to rub my neck. About August of 06 I began having left arm pain, numbness and tingling. It would come and go, sometimes going days with and without it. By April 07 I was really scared. I would wake up and have no feeling in my left arm and hand. I made an appt with a new doc and told her my symptoms. I had a MRI of the neck that day and an appt with a neurosurgeon within two weeks. MRI revealed severe cervical stenosis with cord impengment, spondylosis, myelopathy and protruding discs C3-7. I was expecting to hear the NS say we could manage this by physical therapy, meds and rest. Ha! He said surgery was the best option at this point. I could try the other but in order to stop any nerve damage I needed the surgery. So in May 07 I had a 3 level ACDF. All went well for about 4 months and then symptoms started back. NS set me up with PM doc and have been on Lyrica, Hydrocodone and Methadone to try and control the symptoms. MRI at this point showed that everything was fine. I have had two epidural steroid injections, each lasting only about a month and two nerve blocks. The first lasted about 4 months and the last one didn't work at all. I now have the pain, numbness and tingling in both arms, hands, down the middle of my back and sometimes in my calves and feet. Oh, and elecrical shock feelings, surges almost... mostly in my legs. So...Monday I go to get my results of the last MRI.

Thanks so much for asking. My family and friends, I am sure, get tired of my story, you know, same story, different day. It's nice to have someone to share with.
  • :) Della, it has ceretainly not been easy for you. :T it certainly changes our lives to deal with undiagnosised pain on a daily basis. you have certainly tried everything posssible including surgery. i hope your results give you a place to start for pain relief. good luck and good news! <:P Jenny :)
  • I am glad that you found us as this is a great place for support and understanding. I am sorry that you are suffering though. Please keep us posted with the results and I will look forward to seeing you around.
  • i also read many thread here before joining spine health. i wish you sucess in your search for a solution. my problem were quite similar to yours and i hope maybe my ns did all he sould for one surgery. there are so many here with revision surgeries that i too still worry about that. maybe i missed it, what levels were your acdf? also how is your rom for your neck, mine is not good? i will say a prayer for u. good luck
  • WOW...I guess we had almost the same surgery. My ACDF was for C3-7 also. I have a titanium plate and screws also. Not much fun, huh? My range of motion is ok, i guess. I can still drive fairly well although I don't like driving in Lubbock...way too much traffic....I live in a small town that doesn't have much traffic. Oh, and going to our local Sonic is a no-no for me. LOL. Way too hard to back out. I am trying to not stress out over my appt monday. I certainly don't want to face another surgery. What's up with that cold sensation? I have that too, and it is a fairly new symptom. Do your shoulder muscles burn? I can't even do a load of laundry without them feeling like they are on fire. I would like to send you a PM and ask you more questions. Is that ok? Oh and thank you SO much for the prayers.
  • della my burning is mostly between my shoulders and up the back of my neck.
advertisement