Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 Days Post ACDF C7/T1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had ACDF surgery on 10/6/08 (five days ago). I am experiencing searing pain in my upper back/lower neck and am worried that I am not healing properly? I didn't have this pain until yesterday when I ran out of applesauce (use to crush pills into) and missed pain meds for while. Now even with my pain meds it is still pretty bad.

I can deal with the pain but am worried about if this burning feeling in my back is "normal" for this surgery. My fusion was at C7/T1.

Other than difficulty swallowing and the anxiety that goes along with that, I am recovering well. My severe arm pain was gone when I woke up from surgery. Still have numbness and tingling that Dr. says could last for many months but should improve.

Please any input would be great.

kfp3723
advertisement

Comments

• Everyone is different. If you are feeling something is wrong, please call your doctor. Don't forget, you are paying them a lot of money to help you. It is ok to call just to make sure.
  • Glad your home and everything went well so far.
    If you read Chrissy 111 post you will see she is having something similar.
    My worst complaint during cervical recovery was the BURNING me oh my jellybeans. Not one pain med touched it.
    The only thing that helped was lots of icing.
    The soft gel reusuable packs are the best. But I also used the re fillable ones from the hospital.
    I would lay down on the couch with lots of pillows and lay them on my shoulders and neck. The soft ones behind me.
    Its like the best pain relief out there. Plus it will help you rest along with your meds.
    Its most likely from all your nerves healing. From what my dr told me anyway. It comes with this surgery.

If any new pain arises that does not seem right like crash said call your dr and let them know. There is always someone oncall to answer your questions.
    I called about the burning to as at the time I had no idea what was going on.
    The throat will get better in time. I enjoyed eating shakes, drinkable yogurt, soup you name it.
    I was able to swallow my pills though, even though it hurt.
    Within 2 weeks I was eating soft foods then to reg food.
    YOU WILL GET THERE =D> =D> =D> =D>