Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another disc herniation!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 8 weeks out from my last lami/discectomy. The pain came back with a vengeance about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I received my MRI results yesterday and found out that the L5/S1 has a "recurrent disc extrusion" :''( I have already had two surgeries for the exact same thing. I go to the OS on Monday....curious to see what he suggests! :?
advertisement

Comments

• I am so sorry to hear this. Sounds like they need to be a bit more radical.

Good luck.
  • If you don't mind..could you explain some ways they could be more radical or what options I might have that I could discuss with my OS next week? Thanks! :)
  • I wanted to give you a big hug >:D< . I don't know of any radical options, but you might get a second opinion if you can, especially if you have used the same NS for both your surgeries. I was wondering if anything happened to create new problems or did you basically wake up with the pain?

Please keep us updated on how you are doing!

Haylie
  • sorry this happened.
    my personal thought after ppl having these disectomys etc can re herniate so easily. does not go for everyone that this has happened. some ppl have great results.

has fusion every been discussed?? i think thats what itsalongwalk meant saying more radical? correct me if im wrong ;) ;) after two failed surgeries i would be a bit sceptical of them recommending another one like that. in the chance of you rehernation again :(

i also agree if you have been to the same dr twice mabye time for a second opinion?? only if your able due insurance/money etc...

i feel your pain i am so very sorry this happened to you!!
    it is so easy to re herniate a disk with the simplist of move...

huggies
    >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Hi All!
    A fusion has not been mentioned yet, but I feel the topic may come up tomorrow. I am going to tell him that I want to do something to "fix" per say this situation for longer than a few weeks! ~X( I have a friend who has had almost the EXACT same problems, same doctor, etc. and at her 3rd herniation, she had a fusion. No one is the same, I know, but something has to be done for this leg pain :''( Thanks for all of your replies :) I agree, after two failed surgeries, something new should be discussed! >:D<
  • I am guessing, depending on how much of your disc is actually left, they are going to suggest a fusion.

I herniated L4L5 and had serious sciatica, had a MicroD, didn't work, had a fusion scheduled, then reherniated L4L5, and they moved my fusion up to the day after I saw my surgeon. Since then all my sciatica is gone, my foot numbness is gone, foot weakness is gone, shooting pain down my back is gone... And I am only 2 weeks post op. My surgeon was SO happy. She said "we were trying to avoid this because of your age, but obviously it was the right thing to do" and it was. I ache and hurt all over right now, but all my previous symptoms are gone, and I know these will subside over time. I am so happy I had the fusion, and my surgeon is so happy it all worked, too. Like, genuinely happy. It was soooo worth it.

I hope that they find a solution for your problem and you find some relief from your pain soon! :)
  • Thanks Lo! :))) You have given me some inspiration in case a fusion will apply to me. Take care! >:D<
  • My discectomy was radical ( removed most of my disc). That was a year ago and I have not had a reherniation. But, my doc also did laser surgery to tighten up and firm up the disc. He said that reduced the likelihood of reherniation. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Hi Maxicat,
    Yeah, I was thinking Fusion, although to be fair, all spine surgery is radical so I apologise for using the term so loosely!

Being logical..you have had 2 attempts at disc removal and some vertebrae stripping to reliev and resolve your problems. It hasn't worked.

I am not a doctor but wondering if a plan to fuse the 2 levels or perhaps disc replacement may be an option?

If I were you, I certainly wouldn't be impressed if they offered me a 3rd disectomy. Think 2nd opinion if they suggest that.
  • Hi All! I seem my OS yesterday. He said he would NOT do another discectomy and my only choice now was a fusion :SS He wants to do the ALIF procedure in mid-November. He said he would work along side a vascular surgeon for the operation. I am terrified, but like he said it is the only way to stop the pain at this point. Would anyone comment on the ALIF procedure? Thanks! >:D<
  • MAxi, I really wouldn't recommend you jump into surgery unless you have tried other options first. For example if you are re- hernieating then is it somehting that you do that causes it to re-hernieste. Have you been taught to use your core stability muscles by a physiotherapist and do you do regular exercises to support your back? Have your tried any other treatments such as injections, chiro, aqua therapy or anything else.
    Now I have nothing against fusions as I am so happy I had mine done but it is a last resort and not a quick fix. There is nothing quick about the recovery.
    Discs that have hernieated/bulged/extruded are often able to reobsorb with the right treatment and time. If it doesn't, then you can still go the fusion route.

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement