Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does anyone have leg pain after surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello to all!!!

I just had a ALIF on disc L5 S1 on Oct 1st. I seem to be doing well. This morning, I had some leg pain in my right leg that I haven't had before. Just wondered if anyone else that has had surgery has had any leg pain??

I may have stood around too long yesterday cleaning out a couple of drawers & such. I'm 38 & have been walking some up the driveway.

I do worry slightly about blood clots. Especially since my Step-dads mother passed away. She was on her 3rd back surgery. She was 77 & I'm sure it may have had a lot due to her age & she was staying in a re-hab place, so she wasn't walking & stuff...anyway, she had some pain in her hip & leg area..ended up having a blood clot that went to her lungs & she died about a week after having her surgery. No one expected it.

Well now I'm worrying myself!!
advertisement

Comments

• It's not unusual to have new pains after back surgery. I had my 2nd 7 weeks ago, and i've developed a new pain going down my left leg that i've never had before. Give it a rest for a day, and if it doesn't go away give your dr a call. Worrying about it will only lead to more stress, and more pain. Hope you are feeling better soon :).
  • I have had leg, hip, etc. pain on and off since my surgery. A friend who has had fusion surgery told me that lots of 'weird " pains would crop up here and there during recovery and she was so right! This has been especially true when I have added new or more exercise or activity. Some new ones still crop up for me and I am at about 11 weeks post-surgery.
    But for most of the pains ice or heat has helped much.
    Of course, it is always good to check with your doctor if it does not get better with rest.
  • Okay, glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. Didn't know if it was normal or not to experience new leg pain. It has hurt all day long. I'll call my Dr on monday if it's still hurting by then.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. :)))
  • If you have lumbar surgery, you could expect leg pain (sciatic pain) for a short time after surgery. It appears to be quite common and was certainly the case for me. Prior to surgery, my main pain was in the lumbar region with only mild sciatic leg pain. After surgery I had a lot of sciatic leg pain & all sorts of new pains and sensations in the legs that I had never felt before, but they disappeared after a while.

The reason is that during surgery, your surgeon needs to move around the nerve roots, which does cause some inflammation. It takes a while for everything to settle down again. If you have any concerns, please talk to your surgeon. He is there to work with you during your recovery.

All the best... Bruce
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Kristie, you are only 11 days post-op, get back in bed! :) Your job is to rest and walk, no cleaning out drawers. I know it is hard to feel so unproductive, believe me I've been doing it for 2 months now, but your job is only to rest and heal. I too have had flare ups of new pain down the opposite leg of original symptoms, of course it happened when I did too much (vacuum/mopping at 5 weeks). My NS said it was normal, that the nerves are irritated and will flare and settle over and over. You might try icing your back as that is where the pain is generated from. The best thing you can do to prevent blood clots is walk, walk, walk. You can also do ankle pumps while lying in bed. So try not to worry. Make sure you take it easy and follow your doctors instructions. >:D< Sue
  • Yes I came home with leg pain also that I did not have when I went in. Its still there but not as bad. I'm 23 days post op.
    Just keep your walking up and well that will keep the circulation going in your legs.
    Plus when laying around when your not up to doing things just rotate your ankles etc to keep them moving.

Plus the more things that we do after surgery is going to cause odd and end pains that were not there.
    You can read my post on Post op patients please be very careful.. Its become interesting :D

Of course if you get to uncomfortable call your Dr thats always your best bet. As one persons leg pain is not going to be the same exact thing as the next.

Hang in there
    Terri >:D<

advertisement