Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 Fusion with Bendable Rods

debbie276ddebbie276 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone has a L5-S1 fusion with bendable rods ?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Debbie, just to clarify, do you mean the rods are flexible, bend back and forth inside of you after they are placed? Don't know how one could fuse like that? Or do you mean that the rods are bent to correct lordosis prior to being placed? This is typical for rods in fusion as they may need to be tweaked a little to fit each individuals anatomy. The surgeons have special tools to bend them into the correct position before they attach them to the pedical screws? So not sure what you are asking? :) Sue
  • There are a number of 'dynamic stabilization' systems being marketed that are based upon the 'flexible' rod concept, or a similar concept that has the same effect. Strictly, you are not fused - the vertebrae are somewhat stabilized but the joint can still maintain some movement.

The following article explains it in more detail: http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/posterior-dynamic-stabilization-systems
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I have two flexible rods in me, so basically the surgeon could adjust the rods at the time of insertion to fit my spine. But once it is in, it is fixed, that allows my bone chips to fuse the spine.

Kin
  • Hi Sue,
    That might be what the surgeon is going to do. He just told me he uses bendable rods.

Debbie
  • I have Dynesys flexible stabilization at L5/s1 (I have head this refered to as a soft fusion)which is supposed to allow me to bend to a degree and then I have the same hardware at L4/l5 but my NS also added my own bone for fusing at l5/4 due to spondylolisthesis with pars defects. Apparently doctors all do things differently. I'd be willing to bet he is talking about the Dynesys system. You can find out more about it on their website over at Zimmer dot com

There are some very mixed but limited reviews on this procedure. I am 13 weeks post-op and my personal verdict is still out. Do all the research you can and ask your surgeon tons of questions. Let us know what you decide and how things go for you.

Kel
  • Is this what you mean I wonder??

The recovery is supposed to be faster and not so harsh on the patient.

Never quite cut the mustard for me so I had mine changed.

Good Luck!
  • I had the traditional three-level fusion with instrumentation, but it couldn't have gone better and the recovery was very smooth. But that is different with everybody. Maybe I was just lucky, I guess.

Kin
  • Doc told me yesterday he was going to do a flexible fusion. Said he has had a lot of success with this kind. In Feb.'08 I had a cervical fusion with the conventional rods. I hope the recovery goes a little smoother. He didn't say but I'm sure he is using the Dynesis method w/laminectomy w/harvested bone.
    Surgery is Nov 10. I will let you all know how it goes.

Lisa
advertisement