Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

the big 40

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
WEEK 40 ,HAS IT BEEN A GOOD WEEK?WHATEVER THE OUTCOME ITS A NEW WEEK,I LOVE THE FACT THAT YOU CAN START A FRESH EVERY SUNDAY AND ITS A BRAND NEW WEEK.wHAT ARE EVERYONES PLANS FOR THIS WEEK COMING?I PLAN TO EVENTUALLY START PILATES TOMORROW EVENING,THERES ALWAYS SOMETHING THAT POPS UP SO IM GOING 2 GO TOMORROW FOR SURE,i ALSO HOPE TO START WORK ON FRIDAY IM SO NERVOUS AND JUST WANT TO GET THE FIRST DAY OVER WITH,HAVEN T BEEN THE NEW GIRL(OR OLD LADY NOW LOL) FOR 16 YEARS,BUT THEY SAY CHANGE IS GOOD DONT THEY?

wELL I REALLY CAN T BELEIVE IT BUT I VE LOST A POUND THIS WEEK SO I GUESS THE TOOTHACHE HAS NT BEEN BAD IN THAT RESPECT LOL 6 MORE POUNDS TO GO THEN IL IM HAPPY,WELL SORT OFF LOL
TAKE CARE
Elaine
advertisement

Comments

• No big plans this week, with exception to possibly adopting a new walking companion....a rescue dog. Someone to coax me outta bed and out that door to exercise. Of course he will be more than that to me, but this will be a positive aspect of the adoption.

OK, just weighed in at 239 so that's another 2 lbs off towards my goal of 205 and 14 lbs down from when I started <:P
  • I BOUGHT A NEW SCALE SINCE I WAS CONVINCED MY OLD ONE DIDN'T WORK. THE SCALE ARRIVED ON THURSDAY AND I WEIGHED MYSELF: 167.4 LBS. I ALSO JOINED WEIGHT WATCHERS ONLINE. I HAVE BEEN USING THEIR POINT SYSTEM. I STARTED THE PLAN WITHOUT KNOWING HOW MUCH I WEIGHED. BUT I STAYED WITHIN MY POINTS LIMIT EVERYDAY EXCEPT ONE. I'VE BEEN UNGRY ALL WEEK. I JUST WEGHED FOR THE SUNDAY WEIGH IN AND I WEIGH 169 LBS. SO I GAINED ONE AND A HALF POUNDS ON MY DIET, I HATE THIS.IN ANOTHER FEW YEARS I'M GOING TO LOOK LIKE GILBERT GRAPE'S MOM. ALSO , I HAD A SUPER STRESSFUL WEEK (NOTE MY NAME--IT IS ALSO MY OCCCUPATION).AND I GOT NO EXERCISE AND YESTERDAY WAS A HORRIBLE PAIN DAY THAT I PRETTY MUCH SLEPT THROUGH.
  • :) well congratulations to the losers so far this week. <:P i am at 152 pounds so i gained 2 pounds. :''( i guess i am doing something wrong!i did not know my body at all. i really thought i was taking off a pound or two this week. talk about discouraging!! stockbroker, give your body a chance to catch up to your new food plan. your scale will start showing a loss in no time. my mom just took off 45 pounds on WW. she is managing to keep it off as well by living the food plan. you can lose weight with no exercise so be patient. have you thought about the exercise ball? by the way i like grapes! we have a new week and your new scale will not let you down if you follow your plan!! here is to a new week! Jenny :)
  • :) McBack, i have to say something about the new friend you are bringing into your home! <:P i am on my third dog from the pound and she is the love of my life next to my husband! she will get you out of bed for those walks and be right there next to you when you are down. my first two pits from there were with me almost 13 years and i still think of them daily. :X be sure and take your time and you will find the perfect match!! Jenny :)
  • :|

I am not weighing in.All I have are UPS scales left over from the business and I cannot get on UPS scales :S

I'll do this with pictures,or something because after all,what's in a number..right /:)

Anyway hello-my name is Robin.I'm going to TRY to lose some weight.I'm 5'7" and I really need to lose about,well I'm not certain.I go to the Dr next month.Is it ok if I go by the #'s that I want to lose instead of my weight...and then whenever I reach my goal I'll maybe just say 0?lol.For example if I want to lose 38 pounds we can just pretend I weigh 38(lmao)I'm sorry,I just feel really uncomfortable about it.My BF doesn't even know what I weigh.

:H
  • :) Robin, hi! :H just take one thing at a time. don't worry about your weight right now. you have made the decision to lose and that is the exciting part! <:P start with a small goal like 10 pounds and go from there. many times our clothes can tell us about our weight so if you don't have a scale yet just go by your jeans being looser, something like that! anyway, just get comfortable with the fact that you are going to start a new food plan and take off some pounds!! =D> even staying the same can be exciting here! it isn't easy for us with pain, exercise is a problem in itself. check in during the week and see if that helps as well. i use Sparkpeople as my weight loss plan. some use Weight Watchers, some count calories. decide what works for you. relax and don't worry about your beginning weight! #:S you have taken the biggest step by being here! Jenny :)
  • Oh that brings a big smile to my face! I was a very active volunteer dog walker with a local shelter for 2 years until my back issues / surgery in Jan 2007. I now have my own little rescue doggie, and I am so so so happy every time I hear that someone is going to the local pound or shelter to adopt a rescue. It really does get you going (Paris had me up at 7am today!)

I completely digress, congrats on the 2 lbs, keep it up!
  • But not surprised, at this point I'm happy to maintain. So status: lost 10 lbs, another 10 lbs to go. Had a very stressful and somewhat emotional week at work, culminating in a headcold that I'm sure is the product of a stress-related immune system collapse. I may be over-thinking all of this. But work has been very stressful and its doing nothing good for my health, at least I am not over-eating (I just go home and cry alot). Seriously, I don't know if its an issue for any of you, but the stress from my job is what has exacerbated my spine issues. Without that stress, I have been able to keep my health in check.

So this week - I am in NYC for work (I live in San Francisco) and will be working long days, I don't expect any weight change again and will not be able to do pilates or phys therapy :<

I think once I get back i.e. next week, I will start to set my small goals again. I'm taking hydrocodone again and seeing my surgeon on 11/12. Its an old bottle I had, with enough to get me thru (1x day) until 11/12. The nurse practitioner had cut me off the Tramadol last month, saying they only prescribe 3 months of painkillers, then I need to get my primary care to prescribe. Well my primary care doc is my GYN and knows only the bare minimum about all of my spine issues, I'm not calling her for Tramadol.

So I tried going without painkillers, and that didn't work, I didn't feel like groveling with the nurse... anyhow the hydrocodone is really helping with the pain so I am hoping I can get a bit more exercise and maybe jump-start the weight loss again! I believe my surgeon will refill the hydrocodone. I am done with the nurse practitioner.

Apologies for the digression, alot going on and its good to get it off my chest in a safe place with people who understand.

Thanks for listening.
    -Melissa
  • No need to tell us what you weigh! Just your goal, if you would like to share that :)))

And Jenny is right (she is our CHEERLEADER and PILLAR OF SUPPORT!!!!) >:D< >:D< >:D< People are all following different programs, and exercise is a challenge for most of us (especially aerobic). Just do what you can and check in and say hello!
  • benji - way to go - almost there!!
    Lulu - I know you have been so so so careful and its so frustrating, don't give up! It's funny those weeks you're so good and you think you've lost and you gain, and the week's you're not that careful and you lose, Murphy's Law, right? :??
    Stockbroker - Oh I feel for you, my SO is in the industry, its a rollercoaster every day, I'd be thinking more about blood pressure medication than losing weight ;)) Hang in there!
  • stockbroker as jeny says it can take awhile to sure up weightloss,well done mcback and that goes for the dog too.u know i almost love my dog as much as my kids lol,jenny you know you l lose sooner or later don t get disheartened and aimless staying the same is a good thing too
    Robin your welcome anytime,you can be sure we will not ask your weight if your not happy with telling us were here to support in anyway we can but remember you ve nothing 2 b ashamed off your trying to lose weight and thats the main thing
  • Hi Robin,
    I loved what you wrote about not wanting to share your weight. That is how I feel. My husband never knew what I weighed and at the hospital I made sure that he did not find out until right after surgery when the recovery room nurse called the floor they were sending me to and read my "stats" out loud, age, surgery, weight, etc. I was mortified!!!!

Oh well, I never even realized this weight loss topic was here until I saw it mentioned in another post. I want to lose weight also as I recover from surgery and I am doing my best to eat really healthy. I am 5'9" and have no intention of sharing my actual weight LOL. I already lost 10 lbs since surgery on Sept 17th and I am hoping to lose more. I am walking every day but its hard being home and bored because you can't do much. Good luck to you all, and keep up the good work.

LJ
  • :) LJ, welcome! <:P glad to have you join us! 10 pounds is a great start! please join in during the week if you like and remember we are only here to support you. aimless, well staying the same is ok! you are right to feel good about that. dealing with meds can be so stressful. ~X( you will be far from home this week and a cold is not so great for traveling! remember to keep warm and drink your juice! we will be here when you get back! i wanted so badly to be a cheerleader in high school and i finally made it! <:P thanks! Jenny :)
  • I FELT EXACTLY THE SAME WAY YOU DID. I WAS/AM SO ASHAMED OF MY WEIGHT. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN VERY ACTIVE, SLIM AND TRIM. BUT IN THE END I POSTED MY WEIGHT BECAUSE I FELT I WAS AMONG FRIENDS. I AM WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE ALL IN THE SAME (OR SIMILAR) SITUATION AS I AM. I ALSO DIDN'T WANT TO GET ON A SCALE AND KNOW THE ACTUAL NUMBER. I HAVE SO MUCH STRESS IN MY LIFE WITH MY JOB (PLUS MY COMPANY HAD BEEN BOUGHT-OUT AND AS OF LAST WEEK ITS BEEN SOLD AGAIN) I DIDN'T WANT TO ADD TO IT BY KNOWING HOW MUCH I WEIGH. ITS BAD ENOUGH THAT I FINALLY HAD TO GO OUT A BUY BIGGER PANTS. I THINK IT WAS THIS LAST COURSE OF LYRICA THAT DID ME IN. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE SHAME I FEEL AT MY WEIGHT AND YET WHEN I HEAR OTHERS TALK, I REALIZE THAT I AM NOT ALONE AND I FEEL LESS ASHAMED. I'M NOT TRYING TO TALK YOU INTO ANYTHING--JUSTNLETTING YOU KNOW THAT I UNDERSTAND. TO EVERYONE ELSE, THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT. I WON'T GIVE UP. OH, I DID GO FOR A NICE, LONG BIKE RIDE TODAY. IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL AUTUMN DAY ON LAKE MICHIGAN AND IT FELT GREAT. I HOPE I DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR IT TONIGHT.
  • :) McBack, You are doing really well! <:P what food plan are you using if you don't mind me asking? get ready for another good week! :O) Jenny :)
  • lots of new folks this week. I am so glad to see it. However, I must admit that I have gained another pound! :''(
    That puts me at a gain of a whopping 4.5 lbs in 3 weeks. My plan is to start walking this week with my sister. I know that will motivate me. So, since February I have lost and maintained a 14.5 loss. I have 64 lbs more to lose but would be very happy with 40.
    Congratulations to all of you losers this week! You have motivation and it is paying off big time. Do not count me out. I WILL HAVE A LOSS NEXT WEEK! ;)
    Good luck to all for a great new week.
  • and I want to add that I am off of the Lexapro which I do not think was helping my weight situation.
  • I've had a very painful week, so my walking was cut back. I too, have a rescue pup that is my walking companion. He's been such a blessing to me in the short time I've had him!
    Congrats to all for showing up, losing or staying the same. I'm starting massage therapy this week and I am so looking forward to it! :) I also start on my second set of facet injections, so maybe I will start getting some relief. I'm also getting fitted for a new back brace.
    Everyone have a great week - let's keep the motivation going. =D>
  • You did well staying the same. It is always better than a gain. I love my back brace. It has been a godsend for me.
  • you re doing good just to stay the same weight,once your abit better i bet you l start losing.

painintheback id never count you out,you l have weight loss next week ,its good to have someone to go walking with,its not so ease to say no then
  • Welcome to the newbies :H

I use to have an English Springer Spaniel but at the age of 12 she died in 04. This time I decided to rescue a dog in need. I have been searching for several weeks now. I have already been through the application process and been accepted. I also have already found what I am sure is a good match. He is a 1.5 year old male Border Collie mix. I go meet him tomorrow and should we click he'll be coming home with me. I've been preparing the house all weekend to welcome him, new crate and bed, dishes and such.

Jenny, my diet consists of a variation of the Atkins plan...no starches, no sweets/sugar, mainly lots of lemon water w/stevia and the occasional coffee. I eat a lot of grilled chicken breasts and salads. I usually have an omelet for breakfast. I do throw in a small amount of fruit and some frozen veggies too. The problem with Atkins, aside from what I will add in the next paragraph, is that it is real hard on the digestive tract, at least it has been for me, and if I can't regulate as well as stick to the plan I will start to over eat again and put it back on.

Of course I just found out this last week that my cholesterol is about 260, so I'll have to change the whole program now anyway, but as some of you may recall, that was my plan from the beginning. I just wanted to get my system use to smaller portions and less sweets again, which for me is half the battle. The Atkins plan has always done a great job of this for me in the past. Then once I felt that was accomplished I was going to swap over to the WW points system and hope it worked out.
  • Yesterday was a busy and stressful day. One of our horses was ill, had an allergic reaction to something and her throat was swelling up. So I wasn't able to get online. Fortunately with some care and med from the vet she is better this morning.

Anyway, Saturday I was up a couple of lbs from last week, and this morning down a couple of lbs from last week. Such a huge variation I am sure it's not right so I will just say I stayed the same. My hubby made a big pot of vegetable chicken soup so we have been eating healthy this weekend and hope to continue throughout the week.

Congrats on the new dog McBack! My elderly mom lost 25 lbs just from getting out to walk her little doggy every day. It has been such a godsend for her. Border Collies are such smart dogs too. I would love to have one some day. Enjoy.

So many of you have posted that I just can't keep track to give kudos to all of you! LOL I did want to say to Robin though that I am reading a book on weight loss which says ideally it's your waist size that counts, and ideal for a woman is about 32 inches.

Have a great week every one!
    Teri
  • I just logged on after a GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP..and morning talking and enjoying laughs and coffee with the BF before he went to bed(he works nights).I needed that more than I even knew and my schedule was all out of whack.I skipped meals yesterday entirely because I was too tired to even eat,though I did prepare for the BF.

Thank You all so much for the WARM welcome.I do enjoy these forums~all of them,but it is nice to read here about other subjects that take my mind off of my pain for a few minutes.

Thank You aimless,and you are so right about Jenny~she really is a CHEERLEADER and PILLAR OF SUPPORT.I've seen that in her out in the forums too,just posting away to new members offering support... :)

LJ,I would have had to be admitted to the ICU had they called out my stats for all to hear..I almost ran for my ATIVAN just reading about your story there.I think I may have a tiny issue there with that.. :/

Jenny~I've never heard of Sparkpeople before but will have to do a search on it later.I don't usually follow plans as such,but I like to cook well balanced meals and I never use oils other than olive oil(extra virgin),and only then in salad or cooking up a stir fry.I never actually fry anything b/c I don't eat fried foods.I guess I always just felt I could eat anything in moderation.

My problem I think,or my MAIN problems are that I don't move enough,or get enough excersice,and that ever since I quit drinking(a good thing)I will eat sweets now.I never ate sweets before and I know that is because beer and sweets just do not mix( :& ).I've lost 12 pounds since Jan.,but I don't want to count that.I'd like to make a fresh start.

Thank you benji55,It's nice that you and everyone else are so understanding.Going back to work after so long would be scary for me too.I've been on disabilty since 1996,and can sort of understand how that might feel.I hope it goes smoothly and you enjoy it.

stockbroker~I think I posted to you in a thread a couple weeks ago about the jeans size,but not certain.I do remember reading it.I should probably explain though I am not ashamed of myself,but it's the numbers that bother me.BTW-I can't even imagine having your job at any time,but especailly now.It must be terribly stressful.

Painintheback I gained weight while on lexapro.I only took it for a short time(a few months)and stopped or weaned-can't remember now as it's been awhile.Sometimes when I read and post about meds it makes me feel I've tried/taken a LOT of stuff though..lol.

Teri I've read about horse and I actually took English and Western riding lessons years ago-it was harder for me because of my feet and horses do NOT like the way my feet hit them-lol.I was thrown at camp a few years back,but that's another story(lol).I am sorry to hear though of your horses illness(allergy),I know how expensive it is to have the vet come out.

I read about the waist size-I'm ordering one of those things the old timers wore under their dresses (you know the REALLY tight things),a corset is it called?I can't think of the word right now-but when I get that on all tied up tied I will post my waist measurements.. :^o

Loved reading the dog stories..especailly the part where McBack is preparing the house all weekend..to me that sounds so nice.I really do hope the match is a great one.

Michael & I would like to get a dog,we are thinking about it actually,but are in for a compromise.He is leaning toward a small dog,while I like the bigger ones.I'll just go with whatever is the nicest and easiest going or happy/sweet...it doesn't really matter as long as we all click.

Anyway-Thank You All for the warm welcome.I'd like to add that you all look like you are doing good~I was in a weight loss support group before some time back and know that there are times we have those weeks that we gain a pound or two,or maintain,and that is ok too.Moving on is what it's all about.Glad to be here... :H

*Oops~sorry so long :??

• I read back through my post..it sounds like I've done everything,but it's only because I've lived a long time :|

Another thing I figured out about myself just from posting.

That,and the wanting a big dog.I know I like big dogs because big things make me feel smaller.. :)))
  • :) i just want to give a shout out about Sparkpeople. It offers food plans, exercise plans,a food diary, if you want one. it has everything i need to do a weight loss program. a good program to check out if you want alot of the guess work taken off your hands!and it is all free! google Sparkpeople.com Jenny :)
  • Everyone was talking about dogs and I think I forgot to mention mine. Robin you would love him, he is half chow and half newfoundland and he weighs 95lbs. He is totally black and very furry (but we had him buzzed for the summer). I can't walk him after my surgery because he has a mind of his own (hard to argue with 95lbs of dog) but my older son walks with me and with our dog everyday after he gets home from work. He also is a rescue dog and I found him on line about 6 months after my beloved 14 year old dog died in 05. Its good for him to get some extra exercise also since the vet always tells me he is overweight.

Robin thanks for the sympathy on the recovery room nurse saying my "stats" out loud. Sometimes they just don't think but I was mortified. MIght have helped if she also mentioned how tall I was because then my weight is not quite as awful but what's done is done.

LJ
  • :) now everyone cheer up! :O) forget your starting weight and go for losing some pounds. i know you may say what do i know about weight loss? well, at one time i weighed 208 pounds. at 5'5" i was a big girl! this was many years ago and i told myself once i took that off i would never get that much weight on me again. that is one reason the 150lbs.is so scary. i need to be at atleast 25 pounds lighter and the weight just won't budge. Before the Lyrica i was at 125-130lbs. on a regular basis, many months. i have been down to 96 pounds even so as you can see i have had weight issue for a long time. i know how to take weight off but i am stifiled at what has been happening to me. this week, every single bite is being recorded. i am checking portion control,scale back on that some more. and i am increasing my walking if i can. i don't know why i told you this except to let you all know i do know how to take off weight even if it isn't moving off me right now! =)) i just want to help y'all as much as i can! Jenny :)
  • Because you're our pillar of support! >:D<
    Okay I'm off to burn some calories packing my suitcase. Good luck everyone this week!
    -Melissa
  • Have you heard of the South Beach Diet? It is a much healthier version of the Atkins and it was created by a cardiologist in Florida. It is very easy to stick to and to live with. It really trains you on making healthy choices. I have also done Atkins but that is not something that you can stick with for life where the S.B. diet easily is.
  • i really think it is, my sister is on 600 mgs for MS and her weight is just going up and up when we asked her consultant why there was sush abig gain he said that studies in rats did show an in creased weight in some off them but they don t know why,like that helps lol,before i took lyrica i could lose weight so easily and now i really have to try,but the relief i get from the meds has to be worth it.Robin i think labs are just great dogs but i always seem to go for the wee ones.i had a shih zu who would just lick you to death,but he had alot of health problems(like his owner lol) and the wee soul died when he was only 2 i thought my heart would break and i said never again,BUT i gave in and got a cross between a japeneze chin and a westie hes a cheeky boy but such a cutie hes now 3,i don t think id be without a dog now they really do make a house a home.
    Terri my sis in law just came first in dressage which is so good,she lost her leg in a car accident 15 years ago and her horse has really gave her life back,she bought him about 3 years ago hes called barney,shes up everyday mucking the stable out, riding as well as working full time,she puts me to shame.
    As for the pilates,once again i did nt get going,rebecca was t well and her dad had to work late,i think someone is telling me not to go lol
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.