Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weight Lifting Injury

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
This morning, I was doing shoulder press with free weights, and toward the end of my set, I felt a "pop" in between my shoulder blades right on my spine. It scared me, and I immediately felt some pain. Now this afternoon, the slow onset of pain you would expect has started to set in (i.e. trouble turning neck, moving head up and down, and stiffness)

I have taken advil and have been icing it thus far. I have a couple of questions:

1) Should I continue to ice, or use heat?

2) I assume this will be sore for at least a week or so. When would you think it would be OK to return to light workouts?

3) Do I even need to see a doctor/chiropractor? If so, what type of doctor?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• Also, what the heck did I do to myself??
  • I think you're right to ice etc. about 4 x day for 20 minutes. after 48 hours heat and ice can be alternated. It wouldn't hurt to see your Doctor as he may want to do an xray. Of course I'm not a Doctor so couldn't really give any diagnosis but you may need some time to rest especially if you're working and may need dr. note. Hope you're feeling better and keep us posted. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Here is the latest with my back. It felt terrible last night, but today it feels somewhat better. I have stuck with ice for the first 24 hours, and it is soothing. The pain today feels much worse in the surrounding muscle than it does on the backbone. I have pretty good range with rolling my head and neck flexibility, and hopefully it will only get better.

My primary concern is how/why this happened. I stretch for almost 15 minutes before lifting, and I have never had anything like this happen before (and I want to avoid it in the future). My guess is that it was my form, and I fully intend on lowering the weight and slowly working back with anything having to do with shoulders or back.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen with the back (between shoulder blades)?

Thanks,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,733
    Since it happened in an acute manner, it very likely can be acute pain. Which means that it should subside after a short period of time. Ice/Warm treatments would be good. Ice for the first 48 hours and then warm. But some people like ice longer
    Of course, this is an observation only, you should never accept advice from any member here as being formal medical information.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Just to keep everyone informed...saw my chiropractor today, and it turned out to be nothing more than an issue with the connective tissue between my muscles and my upper thoracic vertabrae.

Thanks for all your help
advertisement