Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

terrible thigh pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
Hello to all as I am new to your site. Found this site while surfing the web looking for an answer as to what could be the cause of the excruciating pain/weakness that I have been dealing with in my left front thigh from just below my groin to just above the knee for about 4 months. Consulted hip surgeon 2 mos. ago who sent me for xrays and MRI. After review, he felt that I had more of a low back issue than a true hip issue and referred me to a spine surgeon who tells me that while I do have some lumbar issues, he feels that PT for a Hip Flexor problem is going to do the trick. I have had 3 Epidurals with some relief, but I am still in a ton of pain and would really like to get to the root cause of it. Obviously, I was just wondering if anyone had ever experienced or heard of a similiar case. I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions.
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health!

Sorry that you have been going through such agony and dr after dr, but it's best to get the correct diagnosis. I've not had pain in the area you are describing, but I have heard other members talk about it, so I'm sure someone will be here soon to discuss it.

Just wanted to welcome you.

"C"
  • Is the pain inner thigh or outer thigh (more towards the sides)?
    Rosa
  • I have front of thigh pain since my surgery Before surgery it ran through hip and down back of thigh to knee. Since surgery, it runs through hip down front of thigh to knee. I do have low back issues and not hip issues. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • My thigh pain was caused by my tumor surgery. I have numbness and pain in same area caused by nerve (i hate to call it damage) issues while operating on tumor. People say how can it be numb and hurt at the same time but it does.

The doctors cut into muscle and nerves to remove the large tumor therefore the muscles and nerves have to remember to work the way they did before surgery.

I'm seven months post op and most of the numbness/pain is gone but some remains. Exercising helped so much, mostly walking.

Evelyn :)
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • I had/have thigh pain running straight from my hip bone along the outside of my thigh to my knee, It continues from there down the outside of my shin bone and into my big toe. I have this in both legs. At first I thought it was my hip as I would have horrible sharp stabbing pains in my hip. X-rays showed no hip pathology. Finally, I was told that I had classic L-5 pain, that is, the pain was coming from a nerve in my back. Hope this helps and welcome to our merry band of soldiers. It seems sometimes you have to diagnose your problem yourself in order to know what kind of doctor to see.
  • I've had front thigh pain for quite some time now. I had a laminectomy in April of this year of L5. I had a huge herniation at L5-S1. That pain was down the back of the leg with pain and tingling to my foot. (Still have some nerve problems, but overall doing better) Post surgery, I had some issues with my SI joints in both legs. Now the worst of my pain is in the front thigh (my SI joints and low back are also very painful) My Dr. thinks it's a disk issue (which would be L4-L5, I believe) but PT thinks it's SI joints (pelvis). My last MRI was in June and it showed a 'broad-based' bulge at L4-L5 and I'm wondering if that has gotten worse? (I am a stay at home mom of 2 crazy boys and 1 is a huge 10 month old that I lift constantly, so it's possible!) But I'm too cheap at this point to have a 3rd MRI. I suppose if it gets to the point the last one was (barely walking) I'll have to. But I've been using our inversion table and TOTALLY think it's helping. If you find out anything, let me know, as I don't really know what's causing my pain. If you have access to an inversion table, it's worth a shot. I tried a chiro who I think actually may have made this problem worse. (Usually, I'm very pro-chiro, but I think maybe not this one!) Good luck.
  • I have had the same top of my thigh pain for 6 months. Physical therapy made it worse. Hip mri showed no problems. I had 3 injections L5-6 with no difference at all. Surgeon thinks the problem is L2-4 so am having an operation in a few weeks. I can barely cross my right leg over my left due to weakness. I had a herniated disk operation of L4-5 30 some years ago and can no longer walk on my right heel. Muscle is just dead. I am terrified of losing another muscle!
advertisement