Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Disc herniation and no pain/having migraines...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Everyone. I have a question about cervical discs. My Dh found out a few weeks ago that he has some bulging discs in his neck. (We don't know as of yet where exactly they are, and the reason for that is a long story in itself). He was hospitalized for numbness, some weakness, dizziness, tiredness after these "attacks" and also got a headache after some of them, and then for chest pain.The CT revealed that he had a stroke but the dr. seem confused as his symptoms don't act like stroke symptoms. So when he had his follow-up with the NS, who is one of those "know it all, arrogant dr." said that she does not believe he had a stroke. When I told her we were keeping some notes on what exactly was happening when these symptoms were occurring, she said they sounded like the "auras" before a migraine, only DH is not having painful headaches every time after these things. She said that you can have auras and not have a headache. There are some pts. who have these symptoms with migraines and that sometimes the CT scan will look like a stroke but it's really migraines.

He does NOT have any pain in his neck. I know with discs in the lower back, you may not have pain or even symptoms, but is this true with cervical disc issues?

I guess I wanted to know if anyone has had these types of symptoms and whether you have any advice on what he should do next. He has another follow up with his family dr. tomorrow and we will probably find out what to do next.

My instinct is to find out more about these discs and how that is impacting him with these symptoms. I want him to go see my spinal dr, but at this time I don't know if he does cervical spine stuff. I think so, but he is a very specialized surgeon so he might not. I would also like him to see another NS to see what's going on but this will all depend on what the dr. says. But we are soooo confused b/c 4 dr. told us he had a stroke and she is the only one that says she "knows more about the brain than any of the other dr. so she know's what she's talking about". Well that attitude made her credibility go WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY down!

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• So no one has any info?

Dh went to the dr. today and he did say that the symptoms could be coming from the disc issue he has and now DH has told me that he does have some neck pain!
  • Before the first surgery I had for my neck I didn't have neck pain just numb fingers and my left hand. I also was extremely cold in my hands and feet, they felt like ice cubes.I was very tired all of the time, I had no idea I had neck issues until my regular Doctor had an MRI and then sent me straight to a ortho surgeon.
    Before the second surgery I was in extreme pain and found that the disc below my fusion had blown.At this point I had alot of neck pain, head aches, very tired and even sick to my stomach alot. Doctor said alot of those symptoms is caused by pain. Your best bet though is to go through a Doctor and get an MRI of the neck to get to the bottom of things.I can't give you too much advice because everyone is different and people have different symptoms.I really wish you lots of luck on finding out what is going on.
  • Those symptoms do sound like Dh. He is very tired often, sick to his stomach a LOT and he says he has some pain, but not much. It's more numbness and tingling. He gets a headache when he has these bouts of numb/tingling. We're not sure but we think the med he was on was causing his nausea though!

He did have an MRI which is how we found out he had the bulging discs. This arm is also the one he hurt a few years ago...he had a torn muscle in his bicep muscle. Hopefully soon we'll find out more! :)
  • At one time in my life I would have considered myself a "Professional Migraine Sufferer". I had migraines that actually mimicked strokes and was often treated like a stroke victim many times in the ER. There were times that I would have signs of stroke and not have the migraine headache. Usually however it would start within hours or days of the stroke like symptoms. I'm just telling you this so that you understand the doctor that you seemed to not be happy with. Perhaps he presented to her with symptoms much like mine. However since you have added Neck pain as a symptom your doctor may find a relationship between the headaches and cervical area of the spine. I am by no means offering any medical advice here but I have heard of many people who have experienced those same symptoms but there are many remedies that the doctor may try if the buldging disc is causing him issues. Find a doctor that you are comfortable with and please follow their instructions. You are not alone here and we are all here to offer our advice and support.
advertisement