Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

questions about pain

weeapherwweeapher Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Chronic Pain
I have had two cervical fusion surgeries this year. One in January on C 5-7 and a revision in July on C 3-7. I am still in pain ranging from 5-10 on the scale depending on the day.

I am currently in physical therapy and although I have to learn how to move again it's causing a lot of pain.

I would like to know if this is normal? Has anyone else been through this or similar circumstances and how long did it take for the pain to go away?

I don't know how much longer I should ask the neurosurgeon for pain meds?
advertisement

Comments

• Discuss it with your surgeon. Everyone is so different in their recovery that it would be impossible to say if you are where you should be. However, I am a firm believer that you should be able to get pain meds for as long as you need them. Let your body be your guide. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • weeapher, we sound very much alike. I had an ACDF in January and a revision on May. I started PT a few weeks ago and ended up in the ER because the pain got so incredibly bad from the PT that I couldn't do anything but curl in a ball.

Call your NS and tell him that the PT is making the pain worse. I know that I have further issues and may need a third surgery (I have loose screws LOL) and the hardware shift probably caused my pain. It's probably worth checking out and making sure everything is okay before continuing. I'm not allowed to do anymore PT until we know where the hardware will settle.

That being said it's natural for there to be an increase in pain with PT- after all, alot of those muscles haven't been worked for quite some time. Ice and heat packs can help and talking to your physical therapist will really help as they can alter your program to fit better.

Communtication is key! Please don't be afraid to tell your doc that you are still hurting, okay?

Griff
  • i don't know about cervical fusions but a lumbar one can take up to a year to recover. i had one in april and still have a lot of pain. be patient. get an appt with a pain dr and hook up with him and your ortho surgeon. pain dr should help more in the pain area. do you have a pain dr? get one asap

jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
This discussion has been closed.