Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can someone explain the MRI to me?? I'm lost.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
About a year and a half ago, I had been having 2-3 wk periods where I was incapable of doing any thing as far as motion due to back and leg pain every few months. My then Gp sent me for an MRI which found a concentric bulging disc at L4-5 after several episodes. I was then diagnosed with DDD.

I have done 3 rounds of PT, and they only made it worse instead of better-the electric stimulation unit caused some serios agony-even at the lowest setting, so I refused that part after the first time. I did all the little exercises, and deep breathing, and even some traction. (6wks x 3 rotations.)

About 3 months ago, my back started up again, and the pain was more severe than ever-I went to my new GP -after the pain did not get any better even with rest and painkillers (those helped considerably in the past.) She sent me for a new Mri. (below)

I can't seem to do any of my normal activities-housework, standing, walking, or sitting without a huge increase in the pain

I get low back pain, and pain in my buttocks which shoots down both legs. Also get some mid-back pain, but the low back is much worse. About 8 wks ago, my bladder and bowels started leaking a bit as well. And the last 2 wks or so, it has been difficult to empty them.

The pain is also causing my BP to skyrocket as well-usually 90/50-now138/87

I am 31 yrs old, 6 ft, and 198lbs, and also suffer from fibromyalgia.
Any advice?

Will update after I get the report from the thoracic MRI on thurs.

I got this report 2 weeks ago from the MRI I had done a month ago.

MRI lumbar spine:

Multiplanar sequencing performed. No IV contrast administered.

Indication: Radiculopathy. Low back pain

Findings: There is disc desiccation involving L3-4, L4-5. There is no evidence of focal vertebral body height loss or marrow edema. The conus appears to be high riding and is higher than T12. I would reccomend correlation with thoracic spine MRI to delineate the conus and it's integrity.

L1-2: There is no evidence of disc protrusion. There is mild facet hypertrophy. There is sparing of the neural foramina and no central spine stenosis.

L2-3: There is no evidence of disc protrusion. There is mild facet hypertrophy. There is sparing of the neural foramina and no central spine stenosis.

L3-4: Broad-based posterior disc bulge and mild thecal sac deformity. There is facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavium thickening. There is mild bilateral neural foraminal encroachment and no central spinal canal stenosis.

L4-5: Broad-based posterior disc bulge. There is facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavium thickening. There is sparing of the neural foramina and mild central spinal canal stenosis.

L5-S1: There is epidural lipomatosis. There is broad-based posterior disc bulge. There is facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavium thickening.There is sparing of the neural foramina and mild central spinal canal narrowing primarily due to epidural lipomatosis.

Impression: The conus higher than T12. Correlation with thoracic MRI advised. Mild degenerative features otherwise outlined as described above.
advertisement

Comments

• PLEASE call your doc in the AM about the bladder and bowel symptoms. This could indicate serious irreversiable damage. Please keep us updated.
    Also, I am not in the medical field at all but whan you were explaining your problems with motion I wondered if it may be the facet joints causing your pain. They are the motion joints of your spine. Good luck.
  • No one here can tell you in a medical professional matter just opinion.

My opinion is you need to really bug your Dr. you have a few things going on that are NOT good. I would be calling and really complaining. Don't let it get worse, I let my issue get to bad and had ER surgery. But your MRI is showing that you have spinal cord compression and that is probably leading to your sever pain, and spinal cord compression is nothing to mess aroung with. Get on the ball asap please.

Please just google and do a little research. epidural lipomatosis, ligamentum flavium thickening,thecal sac deformity these are not nornal things.

I hope all works out, please keep us informed

Paula
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. Please take the other members advice and call your doctor. :-C i am sorry you are having so much pain and other problems. good luck and be sure to call your doctor. Jenny :)
  • Findings: There is disc desiccation involving L3-4, L4-5. There is no evidence of focal vertebral body height loss or marrow edema. The conus appears to be high riding and is higher than T12. I would reccomend correlation with thoracic spine MRI to delineate the conus and it's integrity. (The conus is the bottom of the spinal cord. It usually ends around L1/L2, which are below T12. A high conus may suggest something like tethered cord syndrome, which can cuase a lot of pain).

L1-2: There is no evidence of disc protrusion. There is mild facet hypertrophy. There is sparing of the neural foramina and no central spine stenosis. (Basically normal. A little bit of arthritis)

L2-3: There is no evidence of disc protrusion. There is mild facet hypertrophy. There is sparing of the neural foramina and no central spine stenosis. (Sames as above)

L3-4: Broad-based posterior disc bulge and mild thecal sac deformity. There is facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavium thickening. There is mild bilateral neural foraminal encroachment and no central spinal canal stenosis. (Your disc is pushing on your nerves and the ligament that keeps your spine in alignment is swollen and also pushing on your nerves. Findings like this are associated with leg numbeness, tingling, pain, and weakness. Can be treated with steroid injections or surgery if PT did not work).

L4-5: Broad-based posterior disc bulge. There is facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavium thickening. There is sparing of the neural foramina and mild central spinal canal stenosis. (Same as above. This causes pain in the calf, heel, and bottom of the foot).

L5-S1: There is epidural lipomatosis. There is broad-based posterior disc bulge. There is facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavium thickening.There is sparing of the neural foramina and mild central spinal canal narrowing primarily due to epidural lipomatosis. (There is fat in your spinal canal. Combined with the findings above, this is almost certainly indicative of tethered cord syndrome. You need a good evalution and probably surgery. Don't mess around with this one. Get a good surgeon at a good hospital who has done this type of surgery before. Even with a godo surgeon, this can have a poor outcome).

Impression: The conus higher than T12. Correlation with thoracic MRI advised. Mild degenerative features otherwise outlined as described above.
  • I have had 2 myelograms showing Epidural Lipomatosis.
    I saw someones question regarding the same. I would like to know if anyone has had surgery for Epidural Lipomatosis and what was the outcome? I am currently going to a Doctor of Chiropractic services for decompression but I am not relieved from the pain in my upper back and lumbar. Walking or standing for 30 min. is about my limit and then need 1000 mg. hydrocodone. Taking 2000-3000 mg. a day. I want to stop the meds. I had a series of steroid injections and they did not take care of the pain. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (I have also gone to 2 neurosurgeons and 2 orthopedic surgeons, at least, they just want to go through more injections or physical therapy. I think both solutions are short term. And, possible the steroid (epidural injections) can cause epidural lipomatosis, at least from what I have researched. It seems to be quite uncommon, and was advised by 1 neruosurgeon to lose weight, which I am doing slowly. The last MRI did not show the epidural lipomatosis, but it was not done with contrast. Any info is appreciated. Thank you!
    BonnieB
  • I started going to a Chiropractor about 5 wks. ago, and have had approx. 23 decompression treatments and NUCCA adjustments on the cervical spine, I am not experiencing any relief. Has anyone with Spinal Stenosis/and Epidural Lipomatosis, plus Degenerative Disk Disease, Cervical Discectomy w/fusion....had any relief by using a Chiropractor?
    BonnieB
  • I have researched this problem all over the place, gone to 4 doctors,neurosurgeons,orthopedic surgeons, and primary care doctors,but no one has given me any relief and no suggested surgery. I have read though that if you have any incontinence, bladder and/or fecal, to go to the hospital right away. It could be very serious. I am having some of your symptoms but not steady (as to the leaking). I would love to know how you are doing. Thank you. Bonnieb
    BonnieB
advertisement