Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Return of numbness after surgery

dbullwinkelddbullwinkel Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I posted a while ago about a return of the numbness/pain in my right arm and hand that I had pre-op. It started after new PT exercise so PA said to stop PT for a while, increase muscle relaxer and ice. Before the surgery I noted that the numbness/pain was worse when I was laying flat or sleeping in bed. It would wake me in the middle of the night and I would walk around the house crying until it went away. It eventually lasted all day. I Changed pillows, etc. to no avail. Since the return, stopping PT resulted in NO real change in numbness; maybe just a bit less arm pain. I have been sleeping in bed with an incline pillow and a memory foam pillow that is supposed to promote good posture or in the recliner reclined. Each morning I am awakened by terrible right arm numbness all the way to the tips of my fingers. It takes a while of being vertical for it to go away; ranging from one to 3 hours. This is how it started last time. WELL, last nite I fell asleep in the recliner sitting up and my husband didn't bother to wake me. Besides waking up a with a stiff neck I had ZERO numbness and also less "morning" pain in my neck.
Does it seem that a nerve is being impinged on when I am laying flat? But yet it didn't start upon again until after new exercise.
I am finding myself VERY FRUSTRATED with this whole situation...when I call the doctor I only speak with PA (policy) and she feels it is muscle strain; as long as it goes away after I am up,not to worry...that is easier said than done. I am keeping a log of when I have numbness and when I don't to bring to the doctor (not until end of november).
Has anyone had numbness that is brought on by laying flat or semi flat? thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• When I lay on my left side and bring up my right leg I get a dull stabbing pain in my right butt.

I guess certain positions cause nerve impingment.

Harry
  • I have numbness too as I wake up. I also use one of those memoryfoam pillows small side up. I have numbness on my whole left side but it goes away in a few minutes. I hope the numbness/pain resolves for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had lumbar surgery but yes if I lie flat in bed I get numbness in my feet.
    I am also getting numbness in my hands now but I think that is positional as I sleep with my arms above my head.

I hope you get a resolution soon and great idea to keep a diary. You can even add what level of pain you experienced 0-10 in it.

Blessings Sara O:)