Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dynesys

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had my Dynamic Stabilization Spinal System operation last Tuesday 7th Oct. 4 Pedical Screws Either side between L2 and L5. 3 Spacers each side and the tensioning cord.
In the Ops Dept 5 hours with according to the Surgeons 3 1/2 hours on the table.
Up on a Zimmer Frame pm Wednesday...two Sticks am Thursday no aids pm Thursday. lots of walking Friday including stairs and home pm Saturday.
They don't waste time.
Much pain but I think it is mostly wound pain. Off pain killers now so onwards and upwards.
Has anyone else had any experience of Dynesys ????
Cheers

Tony B
UK
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Tony,
    Welcome and good luck!

I had Dyneseys too, 20 mths ago L4-S1 but sadly had it removed 12 mths later - it didn't quite do the job for me.

However, recovery and mobility was very good, remained pretty flexible and was back at work 16 weeks, walking 6 miles a day.

You never said what problems they are trying to resolve?

Anyway, heres to onwards and better!
  • My problem was more pain with walking, dead legs after a couple of hundred yards.
    last year I had a Spinal Decompression....the hammer and chisel job. No help at all.
    You've worried me by saying yours has had to be taken out !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hi guys, I'm based in Maidstone, Kent, UK. Just wanted to say thanks to you for your postings, got the op next Monday. Been living with chronic pain for over 4 years now - seen 2 surgeons, had x-rays, MRIs and 2 spinal probes. Have got degeneration at L4-L5 and L5-S1. Disc tear at L5, leaking TNF. Abnormal L5 vertebra with large right-sided tranverse process. Scoliosis at L4-L5. Take Naproxen, Tramadol, Co-codamol and when really struggling, Amitriptyline. Also suffering with bladder problems, urge incontinence, for which I'm taking Trospium Chloride. Doing it all (at various times) - hydrotherapy, pilates, swimming, spinal manipulation, meditation, reflexology, you name it - but I've finally come to the decision that surgery in the form of Dynesis is the right next step for me.

In this respect I have started my own blog about my experience - I don't know if it will be of help to anyone out there, I hope it might - http://dynesis-kellys-story.blogspot.com/ - I've also started a Dynesis group on Facebook - everyone welcome! Looking forward to a brighter, drug and pain free future (I hope). Hang in there x
  • Hi there Kelster
    WE are not too far apart
    Graveney near Faversham.
    I was **EDITED** last week.
    One week on and still lots of pain but I think it's only wound pain.
    At the moment waiting for the District Nurse to arrive to change my dressing
    Good luck with yours

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.
  • Please remember our individual specifics will be different so worry not that mine was removed. Was not a device fail - but a body fail! LOL - my words not the doctors!

I am sure it is a highly successful piece of kit and in the right patients would be very good. I was much more flexible withit.

Read up on your post op musts - I strongly urge you to take a slippery sheet (satin or sleeping bag type material) to hospital for your log rolling afterwards. Makes the tuff job of log rolling sooo much easier!

Good Luck Both!
  • Thats the problem I did not get any Post Op Musts.
    Just Sat morning from the Ward Sister "You can go home this afternoon, take things easy"
    I do not know what I CAN,CANNOT, SHOULD, WILL BE ABLE TO DO!!!
    NO exercise instructions, should I try and walk every day ?
    How long should the pain last etc etc
    Thats why I have been wandering the web. To try and findout what I should be doing ????
  • Tony, that is really awful that they didn't give you any post-op instructions. Can you ask the district nurse to assist you with this? All surgeons are different so perhaps you can try to call your sugeon, I know easier said than done. A few common things with spinal sugery would be no bending, lifting, twisting (BLT). Avoid prolonged sitting, usually less than 10-20 minutes per hour. Walk several times a day as able, not to exhaustion. Rest a lot. If you search for spine post-op instructions on google you will find a few surgeons who have them on their websites. Not ideal, but you can get a sense of what is common. I would be calling the surgeon/hospital etc. to clarify. I was given a detailed post-op instruction list prior to surgery as well as instructions at the time of discharge. I hope you find some answers soon, Sue
  • Hey Tony I also had Dynesys installed about 14 weeks ago. Sounds like you had more levels than my 2. You should have 8 screws if I read your levels right.(?) I am still trying to recover. Cali-Sue gave you great guidelines. My recovery has been very similar to what I have read about traditional fusions. I *thought* this method would be easier and offer a quicker recovery but it has not, at least for me. Just listen to your body, don't push it too hard. Walk in small increments as often as you can and like mentioned above avoid sitting for long periods of time. My guidelines were 20 minutes max per hour or until uncomfortable which ever came first. My tailbone or more likely the s1/L5 is still sensitive to sitting. I had staples that came out at the 2 week mark. Try to keep them clean and dry. Use common sense and I'd also recommend a list of questions for your next appointment. Take care of yourself and check back to let us know how you are doing!
  • Talk about doing things wrong.
    Before I left hospital the Phisios had me lying on my back and trying to legs straight and reach my toes. ie bending.
    I have sat around most of the day watching TV, on the computer etc etc. Very little walking. Some bending lifting and twisting.
    How to do things wrong with no instructions.
    Just had my first walk outside ...about 400 yds. Hips hurt and pins and needles in left leg.
    I get some horrendous nerve pains at night if I turn over. One in particular like a sharp burn in my left buttock. Its agony. Goes after I get up in the morning.
    Pity this is one long moan but there u go

• Everything posted here is helping me to prepare for Monday -there's nothing worse than not knowing what to expect or what to do and until I registered here I didn't. So thanks guys for the advice.

Tony (or should I say neighbour), try not to be too hard on yourself - doesn't sound like you've had much help or support from the professionals thus far - you're doing your best. I just hope things pick up for you soon.

Take care now...
  • Good luck for Monday . I hope it all goes well and you gain much improvement after the op.
    Get the definitive list of Post Op DO's and DONT's and you can pass it on.
    Hope to hear from you later next week

Tony B
    :)))
  • Hi Tony,

I was told by physio very firmly that bending over to reach my toes was a real no no!

I do know that exercising while on your spine offers suppoer where standing doesn't but still.

Yes you need to stretch...gently. I was told this was to reduce scar tissue.

When are you due to start physio? It seems different surgeons and hospitals vary?
    In the meantime, don't over do it. You have still had your spine screwed and it will take a wee while to settle down.
  • I am having a "flexible fusion" on Nov 10. I am learning quite alot of info from you all. I had a traditional cervical fusion last Feb. It will be interesting to compare my surgery's.

I am a little worried that this procedure is relativly new. I really want this to work so I can get my life back.

I fell of a ladder in May '07 at work. It has been a living H*** since!

Everyone here is so supportive of each other. It does put your mind in a good place to know you are here to share your stories. >:D< Thank You!

Lisa
  • I have one question for anyone who has had their surgery already:

If you could pick 3 things to take to the hospital (besides the obvious toiletries, PJ's) what would you take?

And, if you had to pick 3 items that you have found to be the most helpful when you came home from the hospital, what would they be?

OK, I know that was 2 questions! Sorry! :))(

Thanks,
    Lisa

• Doxi, off the top of my head, I would say cell phone, plastic bag to put on carseat for ride home, and notebook to write down questions and nice nurses names,etc. (I also took shower shoes and a can of lysol =)) ). Cheers, Sue
  • What Phisio.
    I am not scheduled for any...All I have is an appointment to see the Surgeons team on the 3rd December.
    To get to the Hospital is a return journey of 2 trains and 6 buses as I am not allowed to drive.
    District nurse removed plasters etc on Friday and said it looks very clean and healing up nicely
    Cheers
    Tony
  • Certainly Mobile Phone.
    Sweets ,,I took boiled sweets with sherbut centres. WHY ???
    Wit all the drugs pills and potions they gave me my mouth tasted as if a goat had slept in it.
    Bottled water.My PDA as it has games like sudoku on it
    Took a book but did not much feel like reading.
    At home before I went in they brought a toilet assist thing round. Its a frame that has a higher seat and handles either side to assis in sitting on and getting off.
    Thats about it for now
    Tony
  • :))) good morning,i live in byfleet surrey,i had dynesys in feb 2005,initially it transformed my life,pain gone bladder problems gone hooray,however its gone downhill from there,i am losing sensation in my left leg and groin gradually and the back pain is increasing,doctor says all 8 screws and bits are in place where they should be so its not that,he believes it may be the additional strain on either side of the repair that is now causing accellerated wear and hence the pain.
    not sure what the next step is? i have tried to find info on the long term effects and lifespan of the system but to no avail.hope all is well with your back be positive :H
  • Gordon, welcome to SH. This is a great site full of a wealth of information and support. I am not a dynesis patient, but just wanted to welcome you and bump your post up. We have many members who are dynesis patients and some who have had it removed and then had traditional fusion instead. It does seem as if dynesis is still a fairly new technology so maybe there aren't long term studies yet. If you are not satisfied with the diagnosis your surgeon is giving, please do seek a second opinion. I recall one member from the UK named Spicey who was going to have her dynesis removed. You might try to PM her here and see if she responds. Good luck to you, I hope you find relief.
    Cali-Sue
  • Woops, it went in twice, strange :/
  • Hi Tony

Have been reading your posts with interest. I am going in very soon to have Dynesys, was just wondering how you are getting on with your recovery.

Thanks

Angela
  • Here we are almost 5 weeks since the op and going down hill rapidly.
    Much pain in Hips, Legs and Back.
    My main problem is getting help. Saw my GP last week and he had no idea what Dynesys is so suggested I up my CoCodamol pain killers.
    After a heck of a hunt managed to contact my Surgeons Secretary. Surgeon on holiday in Malta. Is there anyone else that can help ? No but I will tell MrXXXXX that you are having problems when he gets back !!!
    If I continue to go downhill at this rate I think the next step in fact the only step left is to drop to the ground call 999 for a ambulance and say I cannot walk or even stand up. Then someone will have to see me.
    Bye for now folks...
  • Nearly six weeks and much worse than I was. Walking down to max 50 yards. Pain in my back all the time and legs from just above hips as soon as I start to walk.
    Have contacted Hospital but no one has ever come back to me.
    No advance on my 3rd Dec. review date. Will probably have to go to that appointment in a borrowed wheel chair.
    Oh yes. One suggestion from the Hospital...Go to Casualty...Bound to have Dynesys Experts there...I dont think>
    Tony
  • just a lil info about myself.
    I'm 32m from New Orleans area. spent 3 yrs Parachuting in the US ARMY Airborne. worked as heavy equipment operator until accident in the field ill explain more below. Now i am a drafter /designer for local gov.i have had a long history of back problems stemming from a Parachute accident in 95 while in the Army. then car hit a pipe into me throwing me about 10 ft in air and landing on a curb. needless to say I was about 23 and in still great shape so was able to recoup. now the last 3 yrs have been a straight shot down hill and i am dealing with the VA since this is a Service connected disability. the last 2 yrs i have been getting every type of injection, EMGs, and Discograms to figure out the next steps. the discogram didnt really mimic my pain until I stood up. so the doc said it was inconclusive.then i was sent to Nuro and as soon as he saw my MRI he gave me 3 options and said i was at end of my rope. either get surgery Fusion, Dynamic stab or do nothing and suffer maybe put a pump in back with meds... I chose dynamic stab.
    I have L4-5 and L5-S1 disc protrusions posterior left and right sides and central root impediment at S1. with DDD and stanosis at both levels. As of the last yr i have been getting these new pains not quit like Siatica or the pains that go from my hip to my thighs either this pain is right in the middle lower back and will take my knees out from under me. and the 1st few times it happened it did just that. i have learned to walk and kind of tell as it builds up and brace my self. it kinda looks like im doing a limping 2 step dance.

I am scheduled for 2 level Dynesys with a cage (not sure of what sort yet) being it is with VA i cant just call get appointments to go talk to doc he is only there once a week and at Tulane in New Orleans the rest of his time. so i cant get any info except on Fridays but he is in clinics. i was hoping someone has had a similar surgery and can tell me why do Dynesys if they are putting in a CAGE? doesn't that defeat the purpose of flexibility? I trust my DOC i did some research on him and he is a really good Spine and brain/base of brain surgeon. DR Melgar@ Tulane university Hosp
advertisement