Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Now that I had to give up xxxxxx whats next?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Maintenance
For many spinal patients, surgery will dictate what they can and can not do in the future.

Sometimes, that may mean, just taking a slower approach to something that we enjoyed. For example, someone who was playing golf 5 days week and need to have lower back surgery.
We all know that swinging a golf club can be some strain on your back. Do you have to give it up all together? For some people YES. But there are ways to continue to play golf, yes it would have to be modified, but there are ways.

I will use myself as another example. Once I hit 35, I played in a mens over 35 softball league. I loved playing ball since I was about 5 and I was good. I started to realize that I was having more difficulties playing after 35.
By then I had already had two lumbar surgeries. I was a step or two slower, my bat felt 3 times heavier, I knew that I was no longer able to play at the level I knew I could. It was a very difficult and emotional thing for me to do by hanging up my spikes! When I looked into a mirror, I just felt I was washed up, too old to continue... sort of a little pity party. Since I loved the game so much, I turned towards coaching. I coached boys baseball, girls softball, boys hockey, girls basketball and more... I found so much enjoyment and satisfaction in doing this.

So one door was closed for me, but another one opened.

I could'nt have asked for more.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya Ron, >:D<
    Thats a sad story :( , but like you say, as one door closed, another one opened :) . Thats fate, every thing happens for a reason :? . I have come to the conclusion that we have been delt these cards in life :? , its just how we play the hand thats the key :T . In our situations you can either sink or swim , and i know which one i would rather do ;) .Your known admirer :*

Angie :D :X >:D<
  • Ron

I can fully understand what you mean about hangng up your spikes. For me it was playing badminton. I loved playing it. I played at school and in the leagues but my family weren't supportive. I played again when I left home and loved it. I play when I go out to Spain, they were unsure if I could play well or not. First game I took it easy....2nd game I played the way I play...Won that game nicely thank you very much lol. So whenever I used to go out there I was always playing 3 times a week.

Now I can't play at all, sad but hey its my reality. The door that opened up for me was art, so thats what I do in various forms. I made greetings cards and send them out to our troops. They seem to really appreciate them. I just like them to know that they are appreciated!

Well off for another rest, just wish this pneumonia would hurry up and go, fed up of it hurting when I breathe, like every breath.

ANgie I like the way you exlained it too, very philosophical. Hope you are doing ok hun.

Love Danni xxxx
  • I'm keeping this short and sweet!
    I worked in medical field, I did Hospice work Hospital,ER, Home care,physicians office, elderly care and the list goes on. I LOVED my work and I was good at it,did it my whole adult life up to almost 3 years ago.

Now I have had to give up many many things a little at a time.
    some people have a stroke and lose everything in one day.
    I have had time to adjust to my lose of things little by little this did not happen over night for me.

What is the hardest thing for me is I no longer can help and be with people that need medical care or a hand to hold. or a listening ear. I used to help people walk, teach them how to use there canes, walkers.and so on I could go on forever....

Now the shoe is on the other foot for me and I am the one that needs alot of the same kind of help I used to give to others. I really do believe this makes it very hard for me.

After I get my surgery and get my self in order. I hope and pray I can do something like I used to. because I need too.
  • some volunteer work in the meantime, Patsy? I know ppl would just enjoy being around you.
  • I am still on books for Hospice as volunteer. At this moment I'm not driving. But If they do call and needed someone to just be their with someone that needed little care and a hand to hold. My son would take me in a heart beat.

Thank you Ben for the kind words, Means Alot...plus it got me thinking about different things I can do to help other people
    Like cooking extra dish of Laz. for family down the road going through a rough time. Patsy
  • The things I had to give up because of back pain were nursing (not meaning feeding a child ;) ) and singing in a band. I happened to hurt my back while caring for patients in a hospital and haven't been able to go back to it. I really enjoyed doing it while I was there, the relationship between a patient and nurse is so sweet! I keep my CEUs current as well as my license because I really worked hard to get it.
    Six or seven years ago my husband and I were in a C&W band. It was the coolest thing EVER! It was hard to do. By the end of the night I was in MAJOR pain, but I was able to do it. It began to get to be too much so we had to lay off of it. I really miss it.
    The thing I miss the most though is just feeling normal and happy...
  • I had to give up being a EMT a Firefighter a CNA and going to nursing school.
    So yeah I had to give up alot. BUT that was not just all to do with spinal surgery.
    Right now I also have on hold taking a nice walk in the sun, going to the mall or even a store.
    Or just to play in the leaves with my little neices and nephews. Doing things in a house that a wife would normally do.
    Will it all come back someday??? MABYE ya never know life can work in mysterious ways O:)
  • Terri >:D< >:D< >:D< , give it time, time is the greatest healer of them all , as the saying goes. >:D<

Angie x
  • Danni >:D<
    Thats because im a wise old bird, ya know lol :) :))(
    What do you think of Rons different disguiuses :? :? :?

Angie 8>
  • :) i am currently doing hospice work with a man with brain and pancreatic cancer. he is my neighbor and i relieve his wife during the week. i have done hospice work before and can only hope i make Lewis's life easy as he passes on. >:D< kudos to all those who know about working with others. i have no words to describe the happiness that comes from the work! this door opened for me and i was more than happy to walk in! <:P Jenny :)
  • I feel your same happiness with what you do!
    Bless you over and over.
    Sometimes I would think who is really helping who here?
    because I would get so much help in many ways from helping others like that. Being with someone at that time in their life is so peaceful for me. I can not explain it in words.
    Patsy
  • I've been forced to give up, well, just about everything that I loved to do. I raised, showed and hunted my dogs and had to give them up. I gave up my career, my hobbies and most of everything I loved doing in my spare time. I've spent a LOT of time being angry about it and finally figured out that it did no good at all.

I have no idea what the future might bring. I'm still not there yet. In the beginning, when I had to move most of my dogs on, I felt like it was the end of the world. I have a much more optomistic view (dare I say I'm reaching acceptance?). I know I'll do something with myself in the future but still have no idea what that may be. I've been known to be driven by my circumstances and this may prove to be my most powerful ally.

If those doors don't open soon I may have to find a way to bust em down =))

Griff

advertisement