Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 Microdicectomy - when to resume normal lifting?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hi all - My doc say 10lbs max for about 6 weeks and then gradual increases from there. Is there a general rule for getting back to normal lifting? I'm not talking about power lifting, but basic weight training and fitness at the gym? Or Hoisting my 40 lb kids on my shoulders...that kinda lifting.

Oh, and one more question. I am a 40 year old Hockey player, and Hockey is the root cause of my back injuries. I have decided to stop playing competetive hockey all together, but was still hoping to play in some capacity with a older/slower paced crowd or even occasional practice time. Am I crazy for even considering this? I really love the game and will be sad to hang up the skates =((
advertisement

Comments

• I am scheduled for AMD on wednesday. Does anyone know if this procedure is painful. They said they won't put me totally out..just doing local??? I really hope I don't feel anything..any help would be great. Will I be able to walk after surgery ok. What about 2 day's later...thanks
  • That is what I suggest. Not that I am a doctor or anything. I just know from my own experience that I should not have been doing some of the things that I did as soon after my Micro-D as I did.

Try skating again in a few before you consider slamming into things. Just the skating part. See how that goes. :)

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Tony,

Hi. Well after I had the L4s/L5S1 microdisk surgery after my first visit back four weeks after surgery they sent me to PT then it was about another month after that I was even back to bowling. Like Stephanie said listen to your body and, my staff or doctor said to me you will know when you have done too much your back will tell you. The biggest thing that help me was walking and, the neuro group that I saw really stressed that to me. I know everybody body is a little different but, I think the key is stretching everyday along with walking can keep you in good shape.
  • I'm just as impatient as you,I want to be able to get back into it, in a modified form of course. My op date was in Sept and surgeon said after Xmas I should be pretty well able to do most things again in moderation.
    Get into that PT and exercise to build up those core muscles!
    I think the key here is to be a bit conservative and not damage the progress you've made to date.
    John R
advertisement