Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does L5-S1 herniated disc and annular tear ever heal without surgery?

charryccharry Posts: 5,753
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi Everyone, I had trigger injections 6 weeks in a row and 1 epidural on Thursday. It's been since February that my MRI showed herniated L5-S1 and nerve impinging and annular tear and have been off work since. I was blown off by one ortho surgeon. I'm going for 2nd opinion in late January. I know I may need surgery and PM Doctor agrees. Is it possible the symptoms, like pain disappear after awhile? Or is it necessary to get back surgery in all cases? Thanks. Have a less painful day everyone. Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement

Comments

• In most cases, if a disk is gonna heal itself, it would do so within the first six months. That being said, your symptoms as you described them appear to be related to the nerve being impinged by the disk. I had a similar problem and was told by an ortho that I was not a surgical case and I followed up with a neuro who has vast experience with nerve impingement. With the neuro, I have had two surgeries( the disk reherniated) and my sciatica is virtually gone. But be advised that anytime they go in, there are risks. All in all, I suggest that you see a neurosurgeon just so you gain an idea of all the options you have.

Good luck.
  • do not want to operate on an annular tare. I had one and I can tell you that it caused severe pain for me. I had an endoscopic microD and laser surgery to repair it. You may want to get a few more opinions. Good luck and please keep us posted.
This discussion has been closed.