Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 level fusion or disc replacement study

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I visited my NS today as a follow up to a discogram I had on Thursday of last week.

Still not definate date for surgery or even which surgery I am going to have.

My NS wants me to have a hybrid surgery involving a fusion at L5-S1 and replacement at L4-L5. He thinks that this would be best to avoid future surgeries. My insurance does not cover replacements though. So, I am waiting to see if I qualify for a study in replacements. If so then I am going to go on the schedule for this surgery sometime around January. Plus to this is that all would be covered by the study group's dime.

If I don't qualify for the study, I will be having a TLIF in about 5 weeks. A two level TLIF with my own bone from the facet joints with some cadaver bone as well. A cage with BMP.

So, I play the waiting game again. Guess I will know in the next week or so which one it will be. Coin toss, yay!

Doc was kind enough to give me some new meds though. I was taking Darvocet occasionally but it did nothing for the pain and made me feel kinda barfy. He has given me Lortabs and Flexiril now. Will see how it goes. Wish me Love!!!

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement

Comments

  • Hi Stephanie, yep you are waiting again, but glad to hear you are getting somewhere in this process finally. I think it would be interesting to be in a study. Perhaps a disc replacement would be a good option since you are so very young and it would keep your options open down the road for new and improved treatments. Is this surgeon part of the study group, I mean would he perform the surgery himself? Hope you find out soon, take care, >:D< Sue
  • This surgeon is part of the study group. He has actually been one of the pioneers for replacement vs. fusion in the states. He studied in Europe for some time and has even done multi level replacement there. I would be in very capable hands if they choose me.

    One Love,

    Stephanie
  • I too am getting ready for a Hybrid Surgery (fusion at L4/L5 and disc replacement at L3/L4). It looks like I will be scheduled in July but the date is not set yet. The hard part is getting both doctors that will perform the surgery on the schedule.

    Have you had the surgery yet?
Sign In or Register to comment.