Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1+ year post fusion meds

yasminayyasmina Posts: 166
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
For those of you who have been through fusion surgery, what, if any medications are you still taking?

I had my surgery on L3-5 on 9/24/07, and am taking the following meds:

-Flexeril - 10 mg. 1-2 x's per day (only at night
-Vicodin - 500 - 1-2 x's per day, sometimes 3x's depending on what I'm doing.
-Effexor XR (don't know dosage as it's downstairs) 1x per day replacing Cymbalta since Cymbalta is no longer on our formulary.
-Lyrica - 75 mg 3x's per day

These meds keep my pain under control, compared to pre-surgery when nothing would touch the pain. While I hate to take so many meds, my life is so much more manageable now.

So are my meds normal, more than typical, or better than normal?
advertisement

Comments

• that they are just right. If that is what it takes to manage your pain, I would say that you are doing good. So many people are not even able to manage their pain with meds at all. I am glad that you have found a combo that works for you. Was your fusion successful?
  • it makes perfect sense. Maybe you are better off letting sleeping dogs lie as they say? Especially if you are able to control your pain with meds. Good luck to you.
  • I don't know for sure. I was discharged by my surgeon in Dec. The xray I had at that time looked to me like there were shades of growth, but I've not had anything definitive tell me if I'm fused or not.

I'm functioning on the assumption that I am fused. I'm almost afraid to ask for another xray. If it shows non-fusion, the brain can create pain that wasn't there before.

I hope that makes sense.

• I am finding that alot of patients are still on meds after having surgeries. It seems to me that the most common meds are
    muscle relaxers, pain meds, nerve meds, and NSAIDS, and a antidepresant. Depression is so common with pain. I take all these meds and hate it, but it better than being in bed all day suffering.

• hi my hunny.
    no my dr stopped my meds in jan of 08.that was it boom bang your done was basically his words.
    of course my pcp would not give me any either. why i don't know. i do need a new one!!!

so if i did want them i had to go back to pain managment. which i did because my legs hurt so much and he said he only treated backs. so i got screwed. HELLO BACK IS CONNECTED TO THE LEGS last time i checked. :B :B :B
    so i just dealt with ones i had from here and there from my wrist and appendix surgery.
    he did not give me meds again till i saw him in aug for the revision i just had done as you know.
    now at 4wks he wanted to wheen me down to lortabs and i said NO i am not ready. i am no where's near recovery where i was last yr at 4 wks. so this i my last script for this. and then i will be to lortabs till probably jan again and then off everything.
    i think there is like one more pain place around my area and that is it. there is only 2 . i think they need more!!

love ya hunny
    whatever works for you and your pain keep on doin it :X >:D< :*

so there ya go all places are different.
    is your pcp giving them to you??
    or are you in pain managment????
  • hi my hunny.
    no my dr stopped my meds in jan of 08.that was it boom bang your done was basically his words.
    of course my pcp would not give me any either. why i don't know. i do need a new one!!!

so if i did want them i had to go back to pain managment. which i did because my legs hurt so much and he said he only treated backs. so i got screwed. HELLO BACK IS CONNECTED TO THE LEGS last time i checked. :B :B :B
    so i just dealt with ones i had from here and there from my wrist and appendix surgery.
    he did not give me meds again till i saw him in aug for the revision i just had done as you know.
    now at 4wks he wanted to wheen me down to lortabs and i said NO i am not ready. i am no where's near recovery where i was last yr at 4 wks. so this i my last script for this. and then i will be to lortabs till probably jan again and then off everything.
    i think there is like one more pain place around my area and that is it. there is only 2 . i think they need more!!

love ya hunny
    whatever works for you and your pain keep on doin it :X >:D< :*

so there ya go all places are different.
    is your pcp giving them to you??
    or are you in pain managment????
  • sorry for the double post i only hit post once.
    of course i go to edit/delete and it won't let me like paul showed me GOSH [( [(
  • Hey ya.... I am 8 months post-op from a three level fusion and I only take 2 percocets per day, 1 in morning, 1 before bed. I don't know, but kinda sound like you're still doing quite a bit, you're still in that much pain? I'd be concerned really. Have you fused, or are you in PT? I'm still in PT and have to for 1 full year.
  • Keep up the good work =D> =D> =D>

I'm 4.5 months out of a 2 level TLIF/Lami (Microdiscectomy last year) and I wish I was doing as well as you. What I mean is I still have to take Fentanyl 50 every 2 days, Norco for BT, Zanaflex, Neurontin, and Naproxen. Not to mention the occasional steroid week.

What was your situation before? Do you have other back problems? I'm curious because there are those that get better, stay the same, or get worse after back surgery. I wonder what helps to have a better outcome.
  • My 3 level PLIF with hardware, Laminectomy, Facetectomy And Foraminotomy was 8 months ago. I have discomfort at the area of the hardware, but not pain. I have difficulty walking distances (pain around thigh/groin area), but prior to surgery I could not walk to the house next door without stopping twice due to pain. No meds relieve this. I due PT at home daily with the hope this will continue to improve. I use an occasional lidoderm patch, take no meds.
advertisement