Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

10 Ways to do things that might put us in for another surgery

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,736
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Maintenance
We all have to think about the ways to avoid another surgery.
Try hard to make sure we do all we can stay healthy.

But, there is also another way to address that situation.
List the things that you know if you DO DO, you are putting yourself in jeopardy of having another surgery.

If anything, if people starting picking me apart, view my life from before my first surgery till now, you would find so many different approaches.

I tried so hard to avoid another surgery
I did so many stupid things that another surgery was just waiting to happen.
I was smart, I was stupid.

I gambled with fate. But I also learned its never too late.
I can learn and I still do day by day.

What are things we can not do?
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• We cannot ever again bend at the waist! Only bending with the legs allowed, at least that is what I keep telling myself ;)
  • Get hit by another semi!

LOL!

Griff
  • idea griff!! Me, I shall stay off my son's dirt-bike.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,736
    I think over the years my Not-to-do List was bigger than my To-Do List!
    Most of the time its a matter of using common sense. Now if I could only apply that all the time, especially when I am in my yard. Being out doors almost makes me forget about my limitations. So, I will find my self working for hours, no breaks, on my knees, pulling , pushing, etc

Some outdoor power tools do wonders for me. Gas powered weed whackers and chain saws. I use them very carefully, so as not to overdo anything, but just the vibration of that equipment can have me rocking and a rolling for a couple of days.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I can't think of anything that I shouldn't do, but I bet my hubby has a long list(sometimes overprotective). Maybe I can't think of anything because I try not to think about what I can't do, only what I can do. However, I do think cautiously and try (not always successful) to think before I do something so I make sure to do it correctly or moderate the task. I lifted a bag of water softener salt into the truck of the car last week. I looked at it, considered asking for help, but then thought it through....bend at the knees, lift with core, turn, bend down at knees, set in truck. ta da! I got home and first thing hubby said was..."you didn't put that in there yourself did you?"
  • After my falling off a ladder and through a wall I discovered that cervical surgery is not a pleasant alternative to being careful :? . So I adapted the carpentry rule of "measure twice and cut once." worked for 9 years till I slipped on ice this past winter and broke the fusion and wrecked the posteior part of the neck. I didn't follow my own slice of wisdom.

I look at something twice before lifting it, or even buying it in the grocery store, and then make the effort once. If it looks too heavy, I ain't lifting it. =;
  • I will promise that when I am in pain, I will not continue to do things like lift/work/laundry/driving etc... even if it means saying "no" to someone who wants me to do these things,

I will get my teenage boys more involved!!
  • i will not slip and fall backwards in a bar in Vegas!!
  • I shall not bust my a$$ down a flight of stairs post op :''(
  • Slam dance at a party ever again.
  • I will not ever sit like a zombie drone again in front of a computer for hours and hours, stressing out about my work.
  • I will not let stress take a physical toll on my body. Especially work related stress, its just not worth it!

Oh, and I'll take cabs from the airport instead of hauling heavy luggage on the train.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    If it hurts dont do it
  • will not help my 70 lb dog into the car because he wants to ride around the pasture
  • As per ellewilson, I will never sit in front of a computer for hours, in the same position and without moving!
  • take my body for granted
    over-estimate my own strength and physical capability
    ignore the pain and just shrug if off until I can no longer walk
    forget to think twice, and lift CORRECTLY
    be afraid to ask for help
    forget my body is a temple, the only one I got and I will continue to take care of it as such
  • I will not crash a helicopter again! Didn't hurt at the time (messy), but later, heck ya! Years later, even more! Won't do that again! :-)

Brenda

To fly is fine, but to hover divine!!!
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I will always ask or patiently wait for help when thinking about doing something i should not!
  • I will not rush to get back to doing ALL the housework.I will let people help me when I need it.I will wear my back brace so all can see it,so no one says "wow,you should be doing great now!".I will take time to do things I want to do.I will really try not to let people get on my nerves.
  • I will ( now I can't ) not work manual labor job for 18 hrs a day 6 to 7 days a week for 25+ yrs! If I had to do it again, I would ask/hire more help :O

Currently in my new normal life I will not keep doing something ( as I think it MUST be done NOW ) even with a pain level of 9+ - duh :B
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • It was a crazy time...and I allowed it to be that way...I will not let another person's wants affect my health. I will not say "forget it,I'll do it myself",I will not feel guilty for not working outside my home,I will not go back to a mining job,no matter how much they will pay me,I will not pack the groceries in by myself,I will not baja my 4wheeler,I will not sleep on the ground,I will not give piggyback rides,I will not pack 75lbs of gear up a mountain,I will not move a washer and dryer,and I WILL NOT IGNORE MY PAIN
advertisement