Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Facet Joint Degeneration L5/S1 Fusion Surgery 10/29 Help!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Hello, I was wondering if anybody has had problems with their facet joints? I had a 2 level ADR in September '06 at L3/L4, L4/L5 and later had to have devices removed due to migration of the devices. I ended up with a 360 degree two level fusion at L3/L4 L4/L5 back in 05/07. I recently, found out from my Doc that my facet joint on the right side of L5/S1 was degenerating. He said that part of the facet had collapsed onto some nerves which is why I have still been having leg pain. About 5 weeks ago, I had two facet joint injections on either side of the joint and got about a 50% reduction in my level of pain which lasted about two weeks. I am scheduled at the end of October to have a fusion of my L5/S1 to correct this problem. Also, my Doc said that since he has to do the fusion and will already be in my spine, that he will remove the hardware that can be removed from my fusion at L3/L4 L4/L5 levels.
Has anybody had fusion surgery to correct facet joint problems? If so, was it sucessful? I am hoping that the saying "The third time is a charm" works for me.

Any information anyone can provide is much appreciated. Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Timothy, Sorry but I had mine for different reasons but I just want to wich you the best of luck
    "The third time is a charm" - Just keep thinking this and all will go extremely well for you.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • to be a naysayer but I have facet joint arthritis and my doc has told me not to even consider ADR because it is a long way from being perfected. Also he has advised me not to have a fusion surgery if I can hold out with the pain meds because the success rate is only about 50%. I am trying to hold out for a better alternative to come about as advancements are made. If the pain that you are now experiencing has somewhat responded to the ESIs, is it possible that a rhizotomy (nerve burn) may give you longer lasting relief enabling you to avoid another surgery? The rhizotomy has worked very well for me. I get relief for about 1 year and then have to have it done again. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.