Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OMG! Who the heck put together the list under Find a Doctor

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was looking for a spine surgeon and thought, "what better resource to use than Spine Health?"
So I went to the 'Find A Doctor' search, plugged in the info and my zip code....
I got a list of about ten doctors spread out all over Northern Ca and NV. None of the physicians in my town were even listed. And no one from San Francisco!?
Who put that list together? That's ridiculous!
How can anyone expect to find a physician if there is hardly anyone listed? Do Dr.'s pay to have their name listed in the search? If so, isn't that like lobbying? or advertising?
I expected from Spine Health to be given a comprehensive list to choose from. Ridiculous.... that really bothers me. I think it really reflects badly on this site to be honest.
advertisement

Comments

• I just tried it too, it came up with a bunch of docs from Fresno and the bay area, none from SanFrancisco. I think it must be a paid advertising service :^o
  • I have no idea how it works for this web site but, I do know that when doctors are in magazines, and are "published", they usually pay for it. I'm NOT saying that it's this way here, I haven't even looked at it yet. Jusr commenting on what I know about the medical magazines. I thought it was an interesting fact.
  • Hiya, :)
    Try google, type orthopedic surgeons...then your area, you should get a bunch of doctors, and you can check up on them :? . Hope this helps you! :D Let me know how you get on! :? If you have a complaint :O , message one of the moderators :) , they are also very helpful. :)

Angie x @)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,716
    Jenn, I understand your concern and have forwarded it on.
    I just can not imagine that every doctor in a particular area is going to be listed.
    But I will get you an answer
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • That some doctors register with either a site or a service. The service is like a registry and they can provide the list (whether thru sales or other)to websites or search engines.

Not sure how SH does theirs, but I would imagine it fairly similar. Not all docs want to be listed on the Internet. It's like times of old, when you used to truly be able to have an unlisted phone number vs being in the white pages.
  • I beleive there is only one listed for the UK...
    Makes you laugh, here we are searching for people who know what they are about in Spinal surgery and there is no-one listed!

No help!
  • Badger,

I sent a PM for you regarding this posting.

Kin
  • I live in the 2nd largest city in my state... no real list of doctors here on this site
  • good results with that search in my city. I did not check out other areas though.
  • This is an important matter. I think of this site as a valuable and reputable site where I can get good information regarding spine health. We need to keep talking about this list so that people can share opinions on what they would like to see on the site.

I would like to see a comprehensive list of doctors by area. I believe that the larger more high tech and up to date centers should be listed, as well as individual private practice physicians. I think its important to know a little about these doctors, too. I think on the doctor's individual page there should be a comment area for people who have gone to them to comment on the doctor. For instance, if someone went to a doctor off the list and saw that they weren't even accredited...they could post this in the comments section. Or, if the physician has excellent bedside manner and his patients all adore him...they can post it. This is a great way to give people an idea of who it is they are considering seeing.

-Jenn
    beyond what Spine-Health can deliver.
    There are many other Web sites that are setup to provide exactly that type of information and much more details.
    I can understand that you would like to see that information here, but it would be almost impossible to have an up to date accurate list of physicians in various areas. Especially when there are web sites set up for that purpose only.
    There so many sites, one being http://www.ratemds.com/social/
    that can get you all the information you need.
  • Thanks D, I appreciate the honest feedback. maybe the site manager should consider taking that button to a less important location since the information is so limited and minimal.
    -Jenn
    to you Jenn, with more official wording then I could put together.

The doctors that are listed in the FIND a DOCTOR feature here consists ONLY of doctors that have passed some of Spine-Health's screening and doctors that have sign up to be listed here. Spine-Health also screens for other aspects such as, board certified, personal quote about their approach to patient care and detailed information regarding some background activity.

And stated by the owner:
    So we will keep growing it as quickly as possible, but is is not comprehensive

Jenn, I hope this provide more of an explanation as to why the listing is not all inclusive.
  • I searched for Portland, OR, home of Oregon Health Sciences University (lots and lots of surgeons in Portland) I think three came up. It seems it could be a bit more comprehensive, especially as we are not allowed to discuss doctors on the forums. Most of this site is very helpful, but that part is not good.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
    Linda, that will explain WHY you do not see all the doctors in your area when you try to list them.

Consider that and also if you are looking for a larger listing, then there are many other web sites that are set up specifically for finding doctors and getting the details.
    I mentioned one a few posts prior.
advertisement