Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dynesis UK - 5 days and counting...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi guys, I'm based in Maidstone, Kent, UK. Just wanted to say thanks to you all for your postings - I have been following them for some time, but in truth, haven't had anything to add until now. Been living with chronic pain for over 4 years now - seen 2 surgeons, had x-rays, MRIs and 2 spinal probes. Have got degeneration at L4-L5 and L5-S1. Disc tear at L5, leaking TNF. Abnormal L5 vertebra with large right-sided tranverse process. Scoliosis at L4-L5. Take Naproxen, Tramadol, Co-codamol and when really struggling, Amitriptyline. Also suffering with bladder problems, urge incontinence, for which I'm taking Trospium Chloride. Doing it all (at various times) - hydrotherapy, pilates, swimming, spinal manipulation, meditation, reflexology, you name it - but I've finally come to the decision that surgery in the form of Dynesis is the right next step for me. In this respect I have started my own blog about my experience - I don't know if it will be of help to anyone out there, I hope you might get something out of it - http://dynesis-kellys-story.blogspot.com/ - I've also started a Dynesis group on Facebook - everyone welcome! I'm looking forward to a brighter, drug and pain free future (I hope) x
advertisement

Comments

• All the best Kelly, & keep us posted :)

Bruce
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Hi Kelly! I will be following with great interest as I am almost 14 weeks post-op from my Dynesys fusion surgery myself (US). I am having very mixed feelings on the whole thing but I chalk most of that up to the longer than expected recovery process. Please let us know how things progress with you and Good luck!!

Kel
  • I had the Dynesis system installed july 1st of this year at L-4, L-5 level and decompression and fusion with titanium rods at L-5, S-1 level. So far the operation seems to have been a success for the Spondylolisthesis and degenerated disc at L-5, S-1 so I'm sure it will work fine for you. :D

I still have a good bit of back pain, but mine may be due to the fact that they found I had soft bone when they were doing the operation. Apparently the spinal steroid injections and dose packs that I was given before I had my surgery partially shut down my endocrine system. I had been feeling really fatigued and exhausted for several months before my operation and apparently my adrenal glands had stopped making cortisol and my testosterone level had dropped really low. Without the proper hormone level being regulated in your body the bones can get soft. Now I have the hardware but my surgeon is worried the screws could loosen if we can't get my bones to harden. Now I am seeing an endocrinologist (he told me about the steroids shutting down my system) to help raise my testosterone level then hopefully my adrenal glands will start making cortisol. Then I will feel good and have energy again and my bones will harden, thats going to be wonderful because I am only a 46 year young man. ha ha
    Seriously, patients need to be aware of the negative effects of being given to many steroids by our treating physicians. I had NO IDEA that I had been given to many spinal injections and dose packs, they just told me they will help with the inflammation so I followed their instructions.

Kelly, your operation will be a breeze and you should have some really great results. My surgeon has done allot of these operations and everyone has done fabulous with the exception of myself and one other person. I wish now that I had not waited so long to have the surgery, if I had known my disc was all but gone sooner things would not have turned out the way they have for me,

Have a Great week
    Eric
  • A big thanks guys for taking the time out to reply. Your kind wishes have been a mood booster at a bit of a scary time! Bruce, great to hear that you are leading a back pain free life - good on yer!

Eric, sorry to hear about your complications but hopefully your endocrinologist will get you sorted out pronto and you will start feeling better soon. Ditto Kelly Jo, hope you start to see some progress in the near future.

Take care now, Kel
advertisement