Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 level posterior lumbar spine fusion 3 & 1/2 months out

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello,

I am new here and looking to communicate with those who understand fusion/recovery with 3 level fusion complicated by spondelothesis & transtional vertebrae. I tried 8 years of other modealities before having the surgery (acupuncture, physical therapy, worn a back brace, epidural steroid injections, facet joint injections, biofeedback, water therapy, all the drugs, etc). I am now at 3 and 1/2 months and physical therapy is going slowly, but surely. I find that weather has a great impact on pain levels (barometric changes, rain, etc). I walk as much as possible. Pain levels teeter between 5 & 6 (I lived at 8 & 9 prior to surgery). I'm wondering who else has had the same surgery? And, what your comments might be with respect to pain? I can't drive yet and am home on disability. It's a challenge to maintain a positive attitude day to day. Thanks for listening!
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. while we do not not have an fusion surgery in common, i do have pain as you do. this can be a common bond as well. i just wanted to say hello and to say make yourself at home here. someone will come by and talk with you. you might also check out "Back and Neck Surgeries" for some more input. also read the "Good News" forum for a good read on successful SH surgeries. Jenny :)
  • Welcome!!
    Oh there is a ton of us. Not everyone the same. 1 , 2, 3, 4 levels PLIF we have a range of people.
    There is alot of useful information and tools on on here to use. You can ask anyone of us for help.

One of the mods should be coming along soon giving your information on how to contact them with any concerns

We are able to give out personal experiences, but not medical advice. ;)

You can check out our recovery thread for Aug/Sept recoveries.
    It is a tuff one. Sounds like you have the right attitude.
    I right now am going through a PLIF level 2 revision surgery. I will be 4 wks out on Oct 17th.
    I also have spondy.
    I do not have disability yet. I have been off work since 06. Fingers crossed I can go into the work field again someday.

Once again welcome so glad your here with us =D> =D> =D>
    Terri O:)
  • Although I have not been fused, I have had surgery and it seems to me like you are probably doing pretty good just to be 3 1/2 months out. I am sure that others will come along and share their experience with you.
  • I, too, had the 3 level fusion and 3 level laminectomy. I'm 8 weeks out today, and I am just finished my 1st week of PT, which is really aqua therapy. My total therapy at this point, involves walking in the pool for 1 hour. I am terribly hurting later that day and the next. I believe I'm on schedule, but not really sure since everyone is differenct. I'm still out of work. I still have pain, probably 4-5, most of the time. I have "discomfort" when I'm sitting, and cannot sit on a chair for more than 15 minutes at a time. I feel like I can feel the instrumentation, and yet, I'm told I can't, that it's muscle. It's difficult for me to lie on my back, roll from side to side without feeling that "box" in my back. I do quite a bit of walking, and very, very minor housework. I wear my back brace when I'm up for any length of time, in the car and for all of my walks. :-( My big problem now is this feeling of spasms that go from mid body down to my feet when I'm lying down or when I stand up. It's gripping. Doesn't hurt, but I can't really move. Has anyone experienced this? It is very troublesome. I take Soma 3x a day, but that doesn't seem to help. I try to stay away from the pain pills (norco) when possible.
  • i can't comment on post-op, but i can relate very well to your pain. I have been suffering for 5 yrs & will be undergoing a 3 level fusion as well.
    I can tell you that the moral support i have been given on this site has helped more than would have thought, I hope it is this way for you to.
    keep us posted on your recovery & i really hope it goes well for you.

Barb
advertisement