Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I finally talked to my doc!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Chronic Pain
Well, my doctor finally called me back and apologized for the problems I was having reaching her. It does sound like the nurses and receptionist were not relaying the messages like I was giving them. We spoke about my MRI and she said they did not scan the sacral area like she had ordered but that the lumbar area looks ok, the hardware looks good, ect. She is going to order the sacral scan and hopefully it won't have to be preauthorized again, since they did not perform it as the order was written. I told her the whole story, ER, Urgent Care, what meds the other providers had put me on, and she said she is going to refer me to a NS since mine doesn't take my ins. We also talked about the epidural injections, and we are going to explore that option. She seems really concerned and I am so relieved that I talked to her, because I was so disappointed when I couldn't reach her, like she just didn't want to deal with me and my problems anymore, but that doesn't seem to be the case. She also decided to start me on Neurontin, since nothing else seems to be working, as well as a different dosage and schedule for the pain meds. Does anyone know anything about Neurontin? I am taking it 3 times a day. Is it a long term thing or does it work quickly? Can you take it while pregnant? I don't know anything about it, except the NP I saw at the ER also suggested trying that. Thanks for all your support, it makes it so much easier to deal with knowing that there are so many others out there who feel "my pain", since so many close to us don't get it.
advertisement

Comments

• Neurontin for about 6 months now. It works really well for nerve pain when nothing else would. It might take a few days to get used-to. Made me sleepy until i got used to it. Good luck...don't know about pregnancy part...ask ur doc.
  • just wanted to stop in and say that im happy you got things straightned out . iv been on it, but it was for fibro not for my back pain. it did nothing for that. but not saying it won't do anything for you.
    just google the info for it. it will give you all the warnings
    but yeah give it awhile sometimes people will not see a difference for up to 2 weeks on medciations like this one.
    some see it after a few days.

i wish you the best of luck!! >:D< O:)
  • For now things are looking up. I've still got the pain, but I'm hoping for the best. Keeping the communication open with my doc just took a huge load off my shoulders, because I felt so helpless. The pain meds are making it more tolerable, at least I can do the things I need to do for my children every day. I did a little too much yesterday, because I was hurting last night after I put the kids to bed. Also, I have been having a lot a soreness in my upper back, and I wanted to ask you, has having the fusion in your lower back caused problems higher up? The nurse told me before my fusion, that once you have it, you have to be careful because since it is fused, you can injure above it if you don't take great care. Does that make sense the way I wrote that? I think I may have explained it wrong.Thank you for your help! Hope all is well for you..
  • I am so glad that there was a logical explanation and that she was not ignoring you. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Neurontin takes time to get into your system. My PM had me taper up, 1/day for a week, then 2/day for a week, then finally 3/day. Well, and now I've added a 4th at my nightime dose. It should also be tapered down when you stop taking it.

I hope it helps you.
  • I have had achiness in my upper back on and off since my lumbar fusion. My PT said it is because the back muscles that hold your spine erect are working to regain strength - they go all the way up and down both sides of the spine. I find that my upper back often gets sore faster than my lower back as I get tired.

I hope you get pain relief soon!
  • It did take me a while to get used to it. I am on 300mg before bedtime and 100 mg in am. I wish they would have tapered me up first. The first week or so that I took it I was naucious and dizzy when I got up in the morning. It definately helped to eat something right away. The side effects did go away after a couple of weeks. For me it really helps at night. I sleep much sounder since I started taking it and when I wake up in the morning I usually am not achey.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.