Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain after surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
Wow. Just joined the forum and am quickly realizing that I must be VERY impatient. I am 5 days post op L5-S1 microdisc surgery and am 85% better than before surgery. I herniated disc playing tennis 3 months ago and after PT and 2 injections decided with my surgeon to move forward with op. I am experiencing left leg shooting pains at knee, calf and foot. Walking now about 1-2 miles per day, but would like to get back to swimming and cardio workouts....am I being greedy? I would like to know that the lingering leg pain will eventually go away so that mentally I can work out of this. I am 45 yrs. old and very active and would like to get away from all pain meds. All of your posts are awesome and helpful.
advertisement

Comments

• Very briefly.You are very impatient.1-2 miles a day is too much at just 5 days post op.It may very well be the cause of your pain.Just my opinion.
    Good luck and speedy recovery!

Cheers,G.
  • I had mivroD last year and at 5 days I was not even able to lift my right leg! Be careful not to overdo it especially early on you do not want to rerupture that disc. Did your doc give you post op instructions? I know that it is very important to follow them as I have read of many people that did re-rupture. The nerve pain will take some time to settle down and heal. Everyone is different but it took me 4-5 months for nerve pain relief. Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress.
  • first glad you had a positive surgery so far! =D> hey 85 percent is 85 percent :D

yes just go by your drs orders. walk as your body allows, BUT if it causes more pain or increased pain , its time to slow it back a bit.

i'm a fusion patient so my restrictions were different. all i was allowed to do is walk. but for the first month i was lucky to do a half mile.

im proud of your accomplishments. but just be very careful. it sometimes can take weeks, months for leg pain to subside.

any new pain call your dr. they will lead you from there.

i wish you continued sucess!!! >:D< O:) =D>
  • Thank you...I needed to hear that. Take care!!!
advertisement