Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need opinion or direction

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Lower Back Pain
A messy W/C situation this is what the Independent Medical Examiner said to me upon reviewing my x-rays. I have no back surgeon but I'm afraid its in my near future.

Patient has severe degenerative disc disease with the right greater than the left. L4-S1 is collapsed with a LARGE (emphasis added) osteophyte nearly bridging the entire gap. My feet and right hand frequently go numb. The only comfort I get is from a TENS unit, HOT baths and grabbing "naps" on the floor for sleep. Winter is coming and it's only going to get worse and I don't know how much more I can take. Has anyone had anything similar? A chiropractor won't touch me with a 10 foot pole. Any help or advise appreciated in advance.
advertisement

Comments

• with W/C situations but if you will take a look at the Insurance topic at the bottom of this page you may find someone that can help you. Do you have a lawyer yet? I have read posts that say pretty much like everything else, you must get a lawyer in order to make any progress with W/C. Sorry that I couldn't offer more info but I did want to say that I am sorry for what you are going through.
  • It is always sad when litigation exceeds your needs and quality of life, the emphasis becomes about claim and counterclaim, and the end of the day you just want someone to make it better and many have and will follow your symptoms and continue in pain unabated.

It is never easy rationalising that injustice that we all feel about the condition that we have, especially if some notion of liability is in abeyance. I too have follow this route and continuing evaluation as you, believes that no intervention would now help my condition, that is never easy to accept that my future is now determined with no parole. I could have false hope and continue banging the drum of incredulity, to be fair not many of listening, subsumed in materialism.

You have to do what is best for you, get the best and most current diagnosis and find someone you have belief in, evaluate the viable options, and have faith. Move forward from a known point, that independent element is good and you need to assess your next step and what you want to do and when.

Some people go for the surgery option in consultation with a surgeon, others do not wish to follow this route and use alternative method of progress, either PT the effects are varied across the spectrum and the concept is to use every process available until it works no more, this is a very personal thing.

We have no magic solution and even with continuing surgery some find no adequate relief or acceptable results from those initial expectations, statistically surgery in relation to the overall numbers performed, is favourable and we are all individuals. Both choices mean pain, increasing activity or managing it more effectively takes time effort and commitment, the surgery although invasive not an easy option, as many here will testify.

Any decision is better than none and at least you have some notion that you are being proactive, we all continue to look to the future whatever the projected outcome.

Good luck with your plan.

John
  • I've tried and continue to try different ways to alleviate the misery and gaining a tiny bit of control but by simply joking with MY OS (Need double knee replacements) that euthanasia may be my only viable option at this point, well he found it none the what amusing.

My best friends Grandfather faced the same choice, it failed, he drank himself to death.

Pain is inevitable, misery is optional. Great quote to live by.
  • My mother now 80 had two new knees and I understand that each case is different as with spines, not easy but look to the positives, life goes on and not feeling part of that and the person who your were is never easy to accept, look to what you can do and change what you have control.

Take care John
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.