Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Which are the best anti-inflammatory drugs to use?

ouchoouch Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
Hello all: I have been on a drug called Indomethacin (Indocin) for over a year now. It is an anti-inflammatory (NSAID) and pain reliever that has been around for a long, long time but is rarely used anymore. Someone recently told me that Indocin should only be used short term. I haven't heard of anyone but me using it either. Supposedly, it is often used for gout flareups as well severe neck/back pain and inflammation. It works pretty well for me, but it makes me so nauseated sometimes. Anyway, what are the most powerful anti-inflammatory drugs and what are most of you taking out there? What is the most effective yet safe? Thanks for your advice. :-C

advertisement

Comments

• I've tried so many NSAIDs and been disappointed by most of them. Two worked fairly well, Voltaren (hard on the stomach though) and currently on Mobic. I don't have any side effects with the Mobic (yet) and it seems to work as effectively as Voltaren. However, if you take NSAIDs or narcotics for any extended length of time, they all come with risks.
  • Well the answer to your question is, whichever one works best for you and targets your particular issue.

One that could seem weak, could be the answer for many

One that could seem strong, could be nothing to others

Unfortunately it seems to be a trial and error thing for most of us. Your doc could give you a better answer as it relates to you specifically.

"C"
  • I guess I will just stay on the indocin for now. I does work well, but I am so worried about my kidneys over time. This is a strong drug! Thanks for your advice!
  • Ouch

If you have concerns about your kidneys, liver etc., just let your doc know and ask him/her to order some labwork to have things checked. My doc orders liver enzymes for me about every 6 months or so, due to the meds that I take.

In general, I would be sure to try and eat, with meds where it is recommended, for the sake of your stomach. It can help with the nausea and/or acid.

Best of luck. Mitzi

• I became allergic to Indomethacin, while NSAID's do work for some that class will not be used by me ever again!!!

Mobic did nothing as well, but nausea.I tolerate low doses of Aleve, but must take prevacid prior just to take it.Make sure to get your liver checked too.

Heres some side effects I got:

1.Extreme giddiness(actually laughing hard for no reason)
    2.vertigo (really bad as well), ears felt plugged at times
    3.itchiness without any signs of rash
    4.really amped feeling, still awake and everything seems "brighter" very odd.
    5.Very frequent urination to the point of near dehydration

The rest are the usual for NSAIDs and me, nausea, loss of appetite, overall sickly feeling.
  • Thanks for your input. You are the 1st person I have run in to who has tried indocin (indomethacin). You were probably given it primarily for the gout? (according to the info I see on my medication informational sheet). It really is potent and helpful for my pain. So sorry you can't take it anymore. I also have experienced #2, 3, and 4 as you mentioned above. So far, amazingly, my labs are perfect (both liver and kidney). I noticed you have panic disorder, so sorry. I don't know about you, but when I get neurological symptoms like tingling, burning, numbness, etc, it can be pretty darn scary. How are you doing now? Have you had surgery, or do you need it for all of the foraminal stenosis and spondylolisthesis?

• I am living day to day as much as I can.I live the life of a hermit for the most part.My anxiety is so bad that I have an actual map out of places I visit that don't trigger my attacks.I tried cognitive behavioral therapy while it did open up some options crowds/large places are a no go for me.

I have been reviewing my records and I thought my issues were only L5/S1.Apparently there is also severe DDD w/ 2mm of movement as documented in my x rays during flexion/extension.Arthritis plagues that area as well from what I am reading, got my Rheumatologist next month to review the mri to confirm.New to me is 3 mm retrolisthesis at L4/L5.

I have tingling, burning and numbness quite often mainly my toes, feet, and calves(burning primarily), my left bicep region once.So far surgery is not necessary and with my diabetes its a toss up whether it will be successful.I plan on getting a full blown 2nd opinion soon and getting real pain management.
  • Sulindac 200Mg BID. Works ok. Does not raise BP as most nsaids do. Seems ok on my stomache.

Nightfall
  • You have been through so much, incredible. How are you doing now? I see that you have cervical myelopathy. I do too. What kinds of surgeries have they done on your neck? I have ddd, severe herniation at C4/5, bulges at C2, 3, 5, herniation/bone spurs at C6. So, I definitely have to have surgery. They want to do a fusion but don't know yet if it will be 1, 2, or 3 levels...sigh...so scary. Have you had fusions? If so, how did it go?
  • Ouch,
    I was taking Indomethacin prior to my surgery (C5C6 ACDF) and it worked OK. I had gone through a couple 5-day courses of steroids which worked the best, but I couldn't keep taking them, so my doc switched to 800mg ibuprofen 3X day. After awhile it seemed to stop working, so he switched me to Indomethacin 75mg time release 1-2X day. That worked pretty well, but then it started to upset my stomach. I don't know if it was the indomethacin alone, or just the duration I had been on steroids and NSAIDS. Fortunately I got a lot of relief from decompression therapy from my chiropractor and I was able to cut down the indo to a couple times a week. I had to stop all NSAIDS the week before surgery to get them out of my system because they were going to use steroids peri-op. Turns out the indomethacin was doing something because I definitely had an increase in pain level that week when I couldn't take it. I have plenty left over, but they will be sitting in my medicine cabinet until I fuse. Good Luck
  • Hi there rivertime,
    Thank you for your advice. I didn't even know they had other forms of Indocin (time release and such). I have a question for you. I have heard about decompression therapy but I don't know what it is. I have had 3 surgeons tell me I need surgery, but no one has mentioned decompression. Is it just like cervical traction? Thanks again for your response in my post. I look forward to hearing from you again!
    Laura
  • My decompression therapy consisted of laying on my back on a padded table with my head attached to a traction device. I rested the bottom of my skull on a padded U-shaped bar and a strap went over my forehead. The machine could be set with various programs and degrees of tension. The table could also be moved up and down so the traction was pulling at different angles. My program lasted 15 minutes and consisted of the machine alternating pulling my head up with 18lbs of traction and then releasing. I went once a week for three months.

Seriously, before surgery this was the best pain reliever I found. I almost canceled my surgery because all of my numbness and tingling disappeared and I was nearly pain-free. But decompression is not a cure....the spinal stenosis, bone spurs and narrowed neural foramen were not going to magically go away, and even my chiropractor urged me to go through with the surgery.

If you've got several NS's telling you that you need surgery, I would seriously consider it. The longer you wait, the better the chances are of permanent nerve damage. I talked to a couple people that had the same surgery I did before I made my decision, and they regretted waiting so long for their's. It's a tough choice (I had never been under general anesthesia before), but I have a very active lifestyle and I didn't want to have to restrict my activities because of pain or that I "might" do more serious damage to my spinal cord. I'm now 3 weeks post-op and doing very well. My ROM is better than before surgery and my pain level gets less and less every day.

BTW - I realize your condition is much worse than mine (I only had a single level fusion), so your recovery will likely be longer and tougher. Make sure you find a good NS that you trust and has a good "track record". I was very happy with my care at the University Hospital in Salt Lake City. My NS does nothing but cervical spinal surgery and has done thousands of successful ACDF's. He considered my surgery an easy, routine one. Two other NS's recommended me to him. He's the guy they send their "hard cases" to. Despite the three 560 mile round trips I've had to make so far, it's worth having a doctor you trust. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Nabutome is the only one thats worked so far for me. I take 750 mgs twice daily
  • O:) Hi,

Try Naproxen Enteric Coated, the one I use is Naproxen Sodium or "Synflex" 550mg. Its a twice daily dose so has 12 hour effect -much longer than indocid or voltaren.
    Make sure you have it with food to avoid the tummy upset.

Also worth taking four times a day paracetamol (tylenol) to get a bit of a base line of pain relief.

For those taking Tramol or Tramadol -dont forget that it competes for morphine receptors so you can only take one of tramol/codeine or any morphine type drugs.

For my regime I use tylenol regularly, naproxen and then add tramol on top as required on a bad day. As things improve I stop tramol, then stop the naproxen leaving tylenol which is fairly inocuous.

(I am a family and emergency doctor so use this regime on myself and successfully with a number of patients -its the best regime before needing hard drugs like morphine)

Hope this helps!
  • Thanks for your reply miriam. I recently had a urine dipstick (clean catch) done and it showed a little bit of concerning results. Protein was 10 and there was some urobilinogen detected. I have been on percocet and Indocing about every 4-6 hours plus skelaxin and Flexeril (Flexeril only q HS). Do you think this is worth f/u or is it just my kidneys/liver complaining, so to speak? Plus I am retaining a little bit of urine (she did the clean catch after I urinated and got 45ml of urine out). What do you think?
    Laura
advertisement