Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What medications are you using

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,736
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Maintenance
Now that you have already had surgery and am in some phase of recovery... What is the medication mix that you are taking?
Prior to surgery you probably had a wide range of medications and some strong pain medications. Then after surgery, you probably also kept up those pain medications.
But then after time, the need for some of those medications will diminish and perhaps different ones will crop up

For instance, I have not had surgery since 2000, but have had additional herniated discs and countless flareups.

My current mix is:
Oxycodone IR 5mg
Zanaflex 4mg
Neurontin 400mg 4x day
Ambien 10mg (as needed)

At some point, I hope to eliminate the Oxycodone... I was successful in eliminating Oxycontin just about 2 months ago.

My Pain Management doctor though believes I will need to stay on some type of pain medication perhaps for life. But that is a different story
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• Neurontin 600mg x 3/day
    Tramadol 50mg x 4/day taken with
    Tylenol 1000mg x 4/day
  • 10 weeks post-op:

Norco 7.5mg (1/2) X2/DAY
    Soma 350mg X2/DAY
    Lexapro 10mg/DAY

I still want Motrin :( !!!!
  • Neurontin 1600mg 3 times a day
    Carbamazepine 300mg 3 times a day
    Zanaflex 6mg 4 times a day (activity can cause variation)
    Celebrex 200mg 1 to 2 times a day
    Imitrex 100mg tabs as needed
    Baclofen 10mg tabs as needed

5 months post op C-spine SCS
    16 months post op C2 Ganglionectomy C1 decompression
    3.5 years post op barrage of lumbar surgeries
  • :) alright here goes: =)) 60mg time released Morphine x3 daily, Percodan as needed for breakthrough pain, Ativan as needed,Es Vicodan as needed,Lyrica 300mg daily, carbamazepine 200mg x5 daily, Risperdal 1mg x3, Zoloft 50mg x2, numerous vitamins and supplements every day. these are my medications. 8} Jenny :)
  • Ultram - 200 to 300 mg a day-2 pills at 5am-9am-12pm

Neurontin -1300mg a day (slowly increasing until I find a good amt. for me) 400mg in AM -400mg at noon -500mg in eve (at this time)

Klonopin -8mg a day- 1mg in Am -2mg at noon -2mg at 3pm -3mg at 7pm

lunesta 3mg @ bed prn-usually 2 to 4 times a week.

That's it for me when it comes to meds. I take lots of vitamins also. I'm a big believer in vitamins.
  • I had a hemilaminectomy 2/06. My current medication regime is:

MSContin 30mg 3 times a day
    Oxycodone 15 mg as needed for breakthrough
    Zanaflex as needed for muscle spasms - but I use it with my
    Ambien 15 mg at bedtime (the Ambien wears off after about 3 or 4 hours, and when I wake up at 2 in the morning, I take one 4mg Zanaflex to get me back to sleep without feeling groggy the next day)
    I am also prescribed Mobic for inflammation, but I take it sporadically.

Now, I WISH I could get off the medication. You would not BELIEVE how hard it is for me to keep them filled. BIG name pharmacies most of the time don't have it in stock, only order once a week and they "never know" when it's coming in. I understand, totally, because would you believe there are people out there that may rob the place? I know - surprised me too! BUT, understanding doesn't mean I have to like that fact.

So, Ron - as usual a very good question; what other topics you have up your sleeve? :?

Take care, now, you hear?

Jeaux
    :B
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,736
    Sometimes they just come out at the strangest times. It could be reading someone's post, could be outside mowing the lawn, driving in a car, etc

I think what really moves me here is to do what I can to maintain the interest level for all members so that they want to come back for more.

On another note, I am glad to see you posting more I missed not seeing you that often here. Oh, and btw your new avatar, I do like it, but its just not the same as seeing you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Neurontin-1700mgs-400mgs@6am 400mgs@10am 400mgs@2pm 500mgs@7pm

Klonopin-5mgs a day-1mg@6am 1mg@10am 1mg@2pm 2mgs@7pm

Ultram 300mgs a day 100mgs@6am 100mgs@10am 100mgs@2pm

I have not needed to take my lunesta in about one month
    and have slept much better.
  • Hi there, I'm just new tonight and am feeling my way around here, but right now I am taking:
    900mg gabbapentan
    50mcg fentanyole patch
    120mg statex (morphine)
    I decided to try and start to wein myself off the morphine this week, maybe to much to quick
    Now taking only 40mg a day, but today was a bad day, as I think I dropped it down to quick.
    Any thoughts? Frustrating day. :(

Encouraging feedback would be great fully appreciated :)
  • I am on 5 mg. percocet. (supposed to be up to 6 a day, I usually take about 2-3)

5 mg. valium (up to 8 a day. Usually take 4)

I am suffering severe depression after this 2nd surgery. L5 lumbar discectomy and they had to take more out than they thought than the 1st time. So as of yesterday, I am on Zoloft.

YUK. I HATE pain meds.
  • Keep in mind I am on the low threshold of dose; I do typically do not need as high does as average person

Last surgery 1995 = yes, that 17 yrs ago

Last MVA Jan.2012 (delivery truck collided with my minivan right side )

Neurontin 300 mg 3x
    Effexor XR 75 mg 2x
    Seroquel 50 mg 1 bedtime (sleep like a baby - full 8-9 hrs sleep no wake-ups)

Alleviated daily dose of Meloxican (caused multiple ulcers; now healed)

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Opana 20 mg 2x
    Nuerotin 400 mg 4x
    zanafles 4mg 3x
    oxycodone 3x
    lunesta 1x
    Susan
    Pain pump on the 13th
  • lyrica[300], lamotrogine[400], cymbalta[60], hydromorph contin[3], hydromorphone(prn)[4]
  • I was on morphine until 12 hours after surgery. Now on percocet 10/325 every 3 hours and soma 3 times a day. And it's 30 hours post surgery which consisted of 8 inch incision, laminectomy, discectomy, spurs removed and nerve root space cleaned out. Very hard to move around. Waking up with an almost 102 temp in the middle of the night didn't help. I'm in one of those states that is constantly fighting to get prescription pain meds off the market - so even legitimate people end up suffering. If I remember correctly my med for oral surgery a year ago was more than this - by now, didn't need it anymore!
    I am who I am!
  • There are other medications I'm on that I was on before I went to see the surgeon, some I'll always be on, others that he thinks will improve my pain. My doctor is very good about making changes to what he gives me whenever it needs to be done, I'm thankful for that and looking forward to hopefully in a few weeks of not needing pain meds or muscle relaxers! :) They serve their purpose, but I'd rather not need them. The nerve medications and such, don't like them, won't take them, too many side effects for me. But then again, I always get the bright red 'ALLERGIC' bracelet when I'm in the hospital, which can make things tough. I think sometimes it depends on the doctor and where you live as far as what you are given for pain and treatment. In fact, I KNOW that's true, unfortunately and imo that will only get worse.
    I am who I am!
  • 1 10/325 lorcet every 5-6 hours. Last night I went to bed, tried to stay awake to take my last dose but the bed is so comfy I fell asleep, so I went 11 hours with nothing. I do take benadryl at bedtime (1) for allergies. I guess I'm more sensitive to meds than I thought. I had a fit when they lowered me down from 10mg percocet to the lorcet after just one week. Seems they were right on - I just didn't know I'd feel so much better. Haven't had soma in 2 days now, either. So ready to be DONE with meds and have my life back!!! :)
    I am who I am!
  • LTee43LLTee43 Posts: 84
    edited 07/24/2013 - 8:22 AM
    You guys get way better stuff than me!

Percocet 7.5/500 3x a day
    Zipsor 25mg 4x a day.

I could easily go with something stronger, but my PM doctor doesn't want to go there yet.

LT
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,904
    edited 08/03/2013 - 5:45 PM
    For about 3 months post op from my last surgery:

50 mics 72 hrs Fentanyl
    15/325mg Percocet (breakthrough) x 3
    4mg Dilauded (breakthrough) x 5
    150mg x 3 Lyrica

Now.....

50 mics 72 hrs Fentanyl
    4 mg Dilaudid x 4 as needed (breakthrough). Avg. 4 - 8 mg a day
    150mg x 3 Lyrica as needed, avg 150 - 300mg
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 512
    edited 08/20/2013 - 9:54 AM
    One 50 mg tramadol at bedtime.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • 64pvolvo1800664pvolvo1800 Posts: 250
    edited 08/20/2013 - 12:10 PM
    Percocet 7.5/325 3xday
    Ultram 50 2x8 hrs
    Lyrica 100mg 2 xday
    Backlofen 10mg 3xday
    Diclofenac 1xday
    Prevacid 1xday

Oh, and a brand new trial SCS ToDay! Performing well and permanent soon hopefully. Then on to the detox from all the pain and muscle pills. It has been an especially painful run both physically and mentally. Between the mental pain and guilt of taking these as a recovering addict, and the physical pain I've endured, it has been a tightrope walk. As I walked away from the trial implant install today, I broke down in tears, realizing what life felt like before the pain. I am still overwhelmed with emotion and I'm even thinking about checking into detox once the perm is installed just so I can get off the drugs ASAP.
    This site has been a valuable resource and I thank you all for your input and support, whether you realize it or not.
advertisement